PDA

View Full Version : My poodle SPS with brown jelly or RTN

daniella3d
08-26-2011, 12:33 AM
I got this beautiful SPS that started to have brown jelly or RTN, not sure which. It was so fast that in a few hours the whole center of the SPS was covered in this stinking brown jelly stuff.

I first used a blaster and the flesh was coming right off. I took the SPS out and since I did not have much left on it and not much left to lose, I decided to try a shock treatment. I had this happen to that same coral a few months ago and I tried everything but nothing stopped that brown jelly, not even furan-2, but I did not know about H2O2 then. I only manage to save it making many frags of it from the healthy part and one frag survived and went from a tiny cherry size to a tennis ball size in 3 months.

This time I had nothing to lose so I tried a 1/3 peroxyde hydrogen at 3% and 3/4 of aquarium water. I left it in there for 7 to 10 minutes because I forgot it there literally. I thought it was a goner but now the polyps are starting to come out again and it seems that the brown jelly has stop. 48 hours later, no more brown jelly but the poor thing now looks like a poodle with a bad hair job. Next time I will be doing this dip right on the first sign of trouble, but maybe not 10 minutes!

Here is the poor thing:

http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy143/daniella3ds/101_0439s.jpg

fishytime
08-26-2011, 12:50 AM
it does kinda look like a poodle........a "French" poodle, Im guessing:twised:

daniella3d
08-26-2011, 12:53 AM
yep, french poodle:

http://www.thepawblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/french_poodle.jpgit does kinda look like a poodle........a "French" poodle, Im guessing:twised:

Myka
08-26-2011, 02:02 AM
Haha, good job!

Maverick00
08-26-2011, 03:59 AM
hahaha :razz:

ALang
08-26-2011, 04:34 PM
On a side note: great to know about the H202. Thanks for sharing.
Be sure to keep us posted as to your French Poodle coral! LOL.

KevinK
08-26-2011, 04:51 PM
On a side note: great to know about the H202. Thanks for sharing.
Be sure to keep us posted as to your French Poodle coral! LOL.

could you give some info on the H2o2, treatment,

what douse it do and so on, ore some links.

never heard about it, so would be interesting for me to read up a bit

Bblinks
08-26-2011, 11:35 PM
yep, french poodle:

http://www.thepawblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/french_poodle.jpg

I am sorry to hear about your birds nest(looks like a birds nest), I am glad you still have good humor about the whole thing. Lmao! I think you should frag whats left of it. It should bounce back pretty quick.
Thanks again for the comedy break.:mrgreen:

daniella3d
08-27-2011, 01:39 AM
It's not a birdnest but a pocillopora, purple.

For the H2O2 treatment, I give the dosage in my original post, I used peroxyde hydrogen 3%, the exact same one that we buy at the pharmacy for desinfecting wounds. 1/3 peroxyde 3/4 tank water and I think that a few minutes is probably enough :)

I am sorry to hear about your birds nest(looks like a birds nest), I am glad you still have good humor about the whole thing. Lmao! I think you should frag whats left of it. It should bounce back pretty quick.
Thanks again for the comedy break.:mrgreen: