PDA

View Full Version : I have a Nudi Hitchhiker

IluvHockey
08-25-2011, 11:01 PM
Look at what I found in my tank.

http://img806.imageshack.us/img806/7549/img2011082300013.jpg<br>
http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/1429/img2011082300021.jpg

From what I read it eats a particualr sponge. Hopefully it won't die of starvation. It is bad for Karma. I want to be a responsible reefer.

ScubaSteve
08-25-2011, 11:16 PM
Neato! What's the species? And what sponge does it eat? Let's see if we can get you some... if it exists in aquaria that is.

ElGuappo
08-25-2011, 11:51 PM
sweet hitcher... very colorful.

triggereef
08-26-2011, 12:03 AM
I believe it is a chromodorid sea slug (chromodoris spp.)

He should get about 6", and they eat live pray. Usually sponges. They arnt the easiest to take care for because they need a constant supply of sponges to live, and they do eat alot. Most nudibranches are quite toxic, so when they die, if they arn't removed from the tank almost immediatly, they will poisen everything in your tank.

I hope that helps!
Taylor.

dsaundry
08-26-2011, 07:41 AM

He should get about 6", and they eat live pray. Usually sponges. They arnt the easiest to take care for because they need a constant supply of sponges to live, and they do eat alot. Most nudibranches are quite toxic, so when they die, if they arn't removed from the tank almost immediatly, they will poisen everything in your tank.

I hope that helps!
Taylor.Would also add that if you don't have the capability to take care of it properly, steady diet of sponge and hydroids too I believe you would be advised on removing it as they can quickly pollute your tank with toxins.

tang daddy
08-26-2011, 04:52 PM
Nice nudi, that ones pretty colorful!

IluvHockey
08-26-2011, 10:48 PM

I hope that helps!
Taylor.

Taylor I thinkyou are right it is a chromodorid, a magnifica chromodorid by the colouring and pattern. Some one in Calgary indicated that a LFS was selling them. Wondering if someone in cowtown can chime in.

I saw him eat some of my sponges in the low flow areas. But you guys are right. I will move him to my quarntine tank with some live rock with thge white sponges that are growing on it, just in case.

IluvHockey
08-26-2011, 10:49 PM
Nice nudi, that ones pretty colorful!

Thanks man, coming from you it means a lot. But let hope he makes it a year or two in the tank.