PDA

View Full Version : How bright can "Moonlight" LEDs be?

shaunnyg
08-24-2011, 03:26 AM
hamilton Fiji Sun T5 Fluorescent Fixture (48 Inch - 4-54W)
I just bought the above fiji sun T5 fixture. I got really excited by the LEDs, other makes had only 4 or so LEDs for moon light and thought "more is better". There are 30 blue LEDs down each side for a total of 60!!! I have the fixture on a light controller (coralife power center) that has the daylights on from 10 am to 6 pm., actinics on from 8 am to 8pm and the LEDs "moonlights" on from 8pm to 8 am.
I'm new to reef keeping and looking at the light in the tank think the LEDs are way too bright! Nobody will get any sleep! Any thoughts? Is the moonlight really that bright out on the reek?

daniella3d
08-24-2011, 04:25 AM
I would not leave it on all night if it is that bright, but rather use it to provide a period of intermediate lighting.

My light only has 2 moonlight and I already find that on the edge of being too bright. I close it at midnight but I leave a small light in the room.

60 led is a bit too bright I think to leave it on all night.

hamilton Fiji Sun T5 Fluorescent Fixture (48 Inch - 4-54W)
I just bought the above fiji sun T5 fixture. I got really excited by the LEDs, other makes had only 4 or so LEDs for moon light and thought "more is better". There are 30 blue LEDs down each side for a total of 60!!! I have the fixture on a light controller (coralife power center) that has the daylights on from 10 am to 6 pm., actinics on from 8 am to 8pm and the LEDs "moonlights" on from 8pm to 8 am.
I'm new to reef keeping and looking at the light in the tank think the LEDs are way too bright! Nobody will get any sleep! Any thoughts? Is the moonlight really that bright out on the reek?

e46er
08-24-2011, 04:51 AM
Jesus christ my 48" light has 4 and it lights the tank up quite a bit when I used to have it in my room it was enough to keep the girlfriend awake

Maverick00
08-24-2011, 05:01 AM
holy sh*t that is alot of leds, my 36" fixture has 8 leds and thats enough to light up the whole tank even in the daytime.

im on par with daniella3d, my leds end at 12am and the only light emitted until 6am is a small sump light.

shaunnyg
08-24-2011, 06:58 AM
Cheers thanks dudes. I thought it was a bit intense. Only problem is now I need an extra timer, thought I had it licked with the coralife power bar deal.

tidal_waters
08-24-2011, 07:53 AM
Your light fixture is similar to mine, I have two 25 LED tubes. I only use this as daniella has mentioned as its way too much light to leave on throughout the night. I have the fixture on three timers, halides, T5HO and the LEDS. Each turning on and off at separate times, and the lights are complete out by 1130pm