PDA

View Full Version : Help with finding copepods for sale...

dc4
08-23-2011, 07:51 PM
Hey guys, anyone have any leads to where I could get some copepods in Vancouver or within Canada without paying crazy shipping prices, I dont mind paying for shipping but I would rather not pay $20-$30 for the copepods and another $40-$50 for shipping.

globaldesigns
08-23-2011, 08:02 PM
I would suggest this:

See if any LFS will give you some... A good way is to put a container (like an old 35mm container) into their big tank of LIVE ROCK, with a piece of mysis or shrimp in it. It will attract the pods, after some time, you just reach in and put the top on it, then pull it out. You should have lots... I have done this in the past, and know it works.

arash53
08-23-2011, 08:17 PM
Check the J&L live food section :

Reef Nutrition Tigger-Pods Live Copepods - 6oz. (http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/rm-tp006/Reef+Nutrition+Tigger-Pods+Live+Copepods+-+6oz..html)

dc4
08-23-2011, 10:20 PM
Check the J&L live food section :

Reef Nutrition Tigger-Pods Live Copepods - 6oz. (http://www.jlaquatics.com/product/rm-tp006/Reef+Nutrition+Tigger-Pods+Live+Copepods+-+6oz..html)

I have tried those before but tigger pods dont last a day in the tank without being eaten or dying. Last time I got the tigger pods from JL, my cardinal ate them all before the night was over. I want to seed my new tank and fuge so that I could get another mandarin and I need some that are able to hide to reproduce.

daniella3d
08-23-2011, 11:11 PM
Why do you want them? most of those for sale are tiger pods which do not survive long in aquarium. They get eated by the fish and coral and unlike the usual copepods they are mostly free swimming so they get swaped in the pump or get cought by corals or fish. YOur best bet is to buy some cheato and have a refugium, then you'll have tons of pods in no time. Or put some liverock crumples in one side of your aquarium so they have shelter.

Pods need algae to thrive and a too clean aquarium does not have much food for them.

The best thing for a mandarin is to give it some back up food. TRy to buy a live white worms culture. My mandarins love white worms big time. I give mine some fish roe and some live white worms each day. I have been feeding this for 1 year and half to my mandarin and for 8 months to my copperband butterfly. They are fat and healthy.

The best way to help the pod population to survive and thrive is to feed them with something like DT live phytoplankton. They need phytoplankton to survive. People using a lot of GFO and having no algae at all usualy have a very low pod population unless they supply them with phyto.

Hey guys, anyone have any leads to where I could get some copepods in Vancouver or within Canada without paying crazy shipping prices, I dont mind paying for shipping but I would rather not pay $20-$30 for the copepods and another $40-$50 for shipping.

naesco
08-23-2011, 11:53 PM

What is the size your tank?

Your best option is to buy a live rock form a reefer that is teeming with pods or set up a refugium yourself

chandigz
08-24-2011, 01:10 AM
homegrownreef.com. in propigation section. Web site is a bit screwy to navigate. They are out of calgary. I think they were a sponsor a while ago. $20 +15 shipping 1 bottle. I haven't tried them so its not a recomendation but it may be what your looking for. Or see if your local store can get some DTs live copepods.

dc4
08-24-2011, 02:57 AM
What is the size your tank?

Your best option is to buy a live rock form a reefer that is teeming with pods or set up a refugium yourself

Right now my female mandarin which I got 4-5 months ago is in my 29g but it is trained to eat blood worms. I just picked up a fat male mandarin and I hope its going to learn from the female but until it does, I want to make sure it has enough copepods to eat. I also have a 72g with a 20g sump and fuge but its still fairly new (1 month) and only has 40lbs of live sand and about 90lbs cured rock in it right now but I dont see the pods on the glass like I do on my 29g yet.

dc4
08-24-2011, 04:34 AM
homegrownreef.com. in propigation section. Web site is a bit screwy to navigate. They are out of calgary. I think they were a sponsor a while ago. $20 +15 shipping 1 bottle. I haven't tried them so its not a recomendation but it may be what your looking for. Or see if your local store can get some DTs live copepods.

Thanks, Ill check them out...

dc4
09-11-2011, 07:19 AM
Anyone else have a lead on getting these? I have emailed and pm'ed a few ppl with no success so far...

Aquattro
09-11-2011, 03:25 PM
Best bet is get them from a tank that has them. Usually the LFS will have lots in their tanks. I know at Proreef, the small invert tanks they have are teeming with them. If you know anyone with a refugium and chaeto, grab some of that, it'll have tons (or should). Pods aren't an item you should need to purchase anywhere...

Triggz
09-11-2011, 04:20 PM
www.reefcrew.com

Awesome live foods. Great guys to deal with to. They are based out of Kitchener, ON. I believe. Shipping was less then 24 hours last time I used them. Try some of there phyto well your at it... Darkest stuff I have ever seen!

Cheers!
Ryan

dc4
09-11-2011, 07:13 PM
www.reefcrew.com (http://www.reefcrew.com)

Awesome live foods. Great guys to deal with to. They are based out of Kitchener, ON. I believe. Shipping was less then 24 hours last time I used them. Try some of there phyto well your at it... Darkest stuff I have ever seen!

Cheers!
Ryan

Perfect! Thanks...!

slakker
04-08-2013, 03:04 AM
I know this is bumping an old thread, but instead of starting a new one, anyone know if anyone is selling Pods in the lower mainland? I was at King Eds today and the fellow there mentioned he thought someone on Canreef was selling cultivating and selling them locally.

Rogue951
04-15-2013, 03:06 PM
u should see if they'll let u siphon some out of their live rock tanks. I see swarms of them in there lol.

slakker
04-15-2013, 05:18 PM
Good suggestion... maybe I'll buy some small rubbles and put it in my fuge... good compromise as I can get the pods, but also more live rock base to frag on. :)

monocus
04-15-2013, 06:28 PM
i haven't started pods yet,but if you need rotifers,and various phytoplankton,i have them for $5 an 8 oz bottle

Myka
04-15-2013, 11:47 PM
Just buy some Chaeto from someone, it will come with hitchhiker pods, and it will be much cheaper!