PDA

View Full Version : clown fish peeling?

cathyg_99
08-23-2011, 03:58 PM
so the last week i have noticed that my female looks fat, i just assumed she was pregnant and yesterday she was fine when we went to bed, this last week she has been eyeing my frogspawn and my galaxy coral but has never dove into them (that i know of) and this morning she is peeling... her skin from head to tail is sloughing off (like you peel when you have a sun burn) and her top fin is missing and she is breathing hard and having trouble staying at the bottom

clowns have been in this tank for about a month + before that they were in my 90 gallon, the only new fish was a yellow watchman which seems to be MIA (but the anemone is fat and happy so i assume he had a snack)

the watchman was added 2 weeks ago and had no signs of anything, the clowns were doing fine all fish eating and healthy... all corals extended, anemones happy...

update: shes moving around alot more but her swimming is uncontrolled she keeps going belly up and the breathing has slowed a little, and shes "scrubing" her self on rocks sand anything to try to get some of the layer off...also occasionally swiming into the frogspawn and galaxy coral by accident... one side of her body is clear of the substance, almost like when you peel after a sun burn, and now the little clown is showing aggression towards her when she tries to host the xenia they both used to live in

ponokareefer
08-23-2011, 04:46 PM
Sounds like clownfish disease to me. This happened to mine and they died very quickly. It is very difficult to treat.

cathyg_99
08-23-2011, 04:54 PM
Sounds like clownfish disease to me. This happened to mine and they died very quickly. It is very difficult to treat.

i did a fresh water dip, all the water par are normal the salt was a bit high so i did a water change and adjested it back to 1.026 (was 1.029) his fin is still there just pasted down with the mucus/skin layer i didnt want to try to "rub it off" hes swimming a bit better

any other suggestions

cathyg_99
08-23-2011, 04:56 PM
he keeps trying to host in the galaxy coral (well hovering above/below it) could it be a burn from the galaxy? they have only ever hosted in xenia and recently a mushroom