PDA

View Full Version : LED

e46er
08-23-2011, 04:00 AM
answered

ReefOcean
08-23-2011, 04:25 AM
Your friend sounds like he builds systems very close tot he ones China pumps out. They are built with 1w Bridgelux or worse LEDS.

For SPS and Clams, I wouldn't use them unless your livestock is 6 inches away from the light and directly under it. I speak from experience, I have a 120w currently over my 30 gallon.

I would do one 120w lamp over each 1.5-2 feet of tank, as close to the water as possible. For a 24 inch deep tank, you will be looking at uner 150 par at max depth but like with all LEDs, the initial par at higher levels is good.

As for LEDs, a (white-blue) of (2-1) ratio will net you about 14,000K. Mine is 1-1 and it is definately 20k at least.

As for pricing, you can get these systems for $150-220 shipped from China. I can point you in the right direction if you wish. I can vouch for one company, my light has been going great for almost a year. They also offer 3 years warrenty etc which leads me to believe your friend is in fact reselling and not manufacturing.

e46er
08-23-2011, 04:34 AM
thanks for the blue white ratio

as for buying and reselling um no
he hasnt built any fixtures for tanks yet mine will be the first the lights were built with other products in mind and have produced equilivant yields to 1000 watters so he is selling them like hot cakes and i figured why not try and expand into another market as well

thanks for your input

martinmcnally
08-23-2011, 07:25 AM
You would need to find out what kid of LEDs he is using. 1000W doesn't sound anything close to what is correct and wattage per foot of tank doesn't not really apply to LED since some LEDs are extremely inefficient and some are exceptionally good. It all depends on the size of your tank too. The color output for growing vegetables is also completely different, its more of a red color than the 14000K mixture you want for a coral tank.

For 3 foot tank we recommend 48 LEDs based on an 18inch wide tank and approximately 24inches deep. That will consume approximately 144 watts. Using Cree XP-Es that is more output than you will need and usually people attach a dimmer and have them dimmed down a little. If your tank is deeper or wider you can add more.

Hope that helps.

e46er
08-23-2011, 02:07 PM
I know the color spectrum is different for corals and plants and the 1000 watt lights were NOT for a fish tank
I'm getting it for free to test out I was just asking how many b lue lights to white

banditpowdercoat
08-23-2011, 02:33 PM
Your friend sounds like he builds systems very close tot he ones China pumps out. They are built with 1w Bridgelux or worse LEDS.

For SPS and Clams, I wouldn't use them unless your livestock is 6 inches away from the light and directly under it. I speak from experience, I have a 120w currently over my 30 gallon.

I would do one 120w lamp over each 1.5-2 feet of tank, as close to the water as possible. For a 24 inch deep tank, you will be looking at uner 150 par at max depth but like with all LEDs, the initial par at higher levels is good.

As for LEDs, a (white-blue) of (2-1) ratio will net you about 14,000K. Mine is 1-1 and it is definately 20k at least.

As for pricing, you can get these systems for $150-220 shipped from China. I can point you in the right direction if you wish. I can vouch for one company, my light has been going great for almost a year. They also offer 3 years warrenty etc which leads me to believe your friend is in fact reselling and not manufacturing.

You meantion Bridgelux. Are you talking the single LED's or Multichip? I am experimenting with the Bridgelux Multichips 90-100Lumen/Watt 60Watt chips. And supplimenting with Actinic. Not done building it yet

StirCrazy
08-23-2011, 03:38 PM
You meantion Bridgelux. Are you talking the single LED's or Multichip? I am experimenting with the Bridgelux Multichips 90-100Lumen/Watt 60Watt chips. And supplimenting with Actinic. Not done building it yet

nothing wrong with Bridglux single or multi. they are just as good quality wise as cree. edison are good also, it is the no name knock offs that can be suspect..

the only reason cree stands out from the "good" bunch of companies is there advancment rate is slightly ahead in terms of lumins per watt. but as has been said in previous threads we realy don't need all that power as most people set there ballasts to run them at a max of 80% then they dim that down to 60% and realy the other big chip players are closing the gap with Cree now. bridglux may not be quite as efficient but they have more powerfull LEDs

so it comes down to weather it is going to cost 3.00/month to run your fixture with crees, or 3.50/month for your bridglux (becuse the crees are a little bit more efficient)

Steve

sphelps
08-23-2011, 03:49 PM
answered

That's somewhat annoying, leave questions up for others to follow and maybe learn from...

banditpowdercoat
08-23-2011, 03:50 PM
Yeahh, $3.50/month is alot better than my $25+ for the MH, AND the 15-20 for the AC unit, fan's and the 1.5g of water that evaporates every day...

Actually, I am working with a manufacture of Industrial lighting, using Bridgelux chips and Meanwell drivers. We see real good potential from the Multi-chip LED technology. No more having a whackload of individual LED's. The prototype has chips, 1.5"square +250W MH output with apprx 60-75W consumption. Time will tell

StirCrazy
08-23-2011, 04:08 PM
Yeahh, $3.50/month is alot better than my $25+ for the MH, AND the 15-20 for the AC unit, fan's and the 1.5g of water that evaporates every day...

Actually, I am working with a manufacture of Industrial lighting, using Bridgelux chips and Meanwell drivers. We see real good potential from the Multi-chip LED technology. No more having a whackload of individual LED's. The prototype has chips, 1.5"square +250W MH output with apprx 60-75W consumption. Time will tell

I would shift away from the meanwell, not as good as we thought they were, but they were all you could get then that was deicent. but a lot of blowen arays because of meanwells.

Steve

banditpowdercoat
08-23-2011, 04:10 PM
Ohh really?? Crap. cause we just got a large shipment of them. They are better than the Shenzhen drivers we were initially getting supplied

e46er
08-23-2011, 04:40 PM
That's somewhat annoying, leave questions up for others to follow and maybe learn from...
Why? Because the first guy called me a liar and the second guy didn't read the post or understand it at all ?
I asked about the amount of lights for a 120 gal 24" deep tank and he told me what he recommended for a 3 foot by 18 inch by 24 inch tank which didn't help at all

StirCrazy
08-23-2011, 06:50 PM
Ohh really?? Crap. cause we just got a large shipment of them. They are better than the Shenzhen drivers we were initially getting supplied

just add some protection from inrush current and you'll be fine with them.

I am not familer with the Shenzhen, I am looking at using the TR drivers so I have two drivers and no more. I think the ugly thing about the LED arays is the 6 or 8 drivers you have to try hide so I am using ones with enough power that I can use 1 for the blue and one for the white.

Steve

StirCrazy
08-23-2011, 06:54 PM
Why? Because the first guy called me a liar and the second guy didn't read the post or understand it at all ?

because eventualy some one would have givin you the answer you needed, and it acts as a resorse for future people who have simular questions and can get an answer by seeing your thread in a search.

I agree the first responce didn't have any value and the second was a little off but it did tell you by a round about way a little of what you wanted but with out your original post we have no idea how thoes two answers related.

Steve

e46er
08-24-2011, 04:08 AM
I see your point but dont fully agree
When someone Is looking for an answer and has to dig thru post after post of people talking out their ass with no clue and or no useful information with actual experience or knowledge of the product and just based on hearsay information from people they have never met online doesn't help anyone it just hinders people with opposite opinions