PDA

View Full Version : dosing with vodka

Saltnoob
08-22-2011, 05:03 PM
ive been reading up alot about this on line am dosing for my 100gallon 24drops of 40%vodka but would really like to talk to someone in person or on the phone who does this has done this that i can ask for a bit of information do to me having a nice reef set up do not want to risk a crash everything is doing great on day three so please anyone pm me or post mabye we can trade numbers and talk

globaldesigns
08-22-2011, 07:38 PM
ive been reading up alot about this on line am dosing for my 100gallon 24drops of 40%vodka but would really like to talk to someone in person or on the phone who does this has done this that i can ask for a bit of information do to me having a nice reef set up do not want to risk a crash everything is doing great on day three so please anyone pm me or post mabye we can trade numbers and talk

Hey, I have done pellets, I have also done vodka with pellets.

Vodka is very easy, it is just a matter of patience, and daily persistance.

I don't do the vodka anymore, and just recently even removed the Pellets to go back to a refuge... Even now I don't even run Carbon anymore.

I know others will tell me that I finally got some sense into me for removing the pellets. But I will still claim they do work for algae and keeping low parameters for your bad stuff. I am just trying the KISS method (You all know what that means, I hope).

Also, FYI... I am seeing white tips on my corals, since removing the carbon. Great polyp extension since adding the Macro Algae Refuge. So time will tell, I may get algae in my DT again, but I am tired of losing corals and the ones that aren't dead haven't grown in 2 years.

So, if you want to talk, give me a PM... As many know, I have tried, experimented with many things over 3 years. I can give you my failure and success stories.

Myka
08-22-2011, 07:41 PM
Start slow! Don't start full dose on the first day. Start of with 1/4 dose MAX, then build up over a few weeks. That way if you overdose your corals will brown out, and not die completely.

globaldesigns
08-22-2011, 07:55 PM
Here is the actual recipe for dosing vodka:

1. Your first step is to test your system’s NO3 and PO4 levels. Do not try this method if you don’t know this!

2. Estimate the net water volume of your system. The water volume is the sum of the aquarium volume, the sump and refuge minus live rock displacement. It is ok to underestimate the net water volume but it is risky to overestimate it.

3. Start with 0.1 ml of vodka per 25 gallons (100 L) daily for the first three days.

4. Then, double the daily dosage to 0.2 ml per 25 gallons (100 L) for days 4 to 7.

5. On week two, add an additional 0.5ml to the daily dosage, regardless of the aquarium volume. Always test your system’s NO3 and PO4 levels. If your NO3 and PO4 levels start to drop during that 2nd week, maintain the current daily dose. If your NO3 and PO4 do not drop, add an additional 0.5 ml of vodka to the daily dosage on week three. Add 0.5 ml to the daily dosage every week until your NO3 and PO4 start to drop.

6. When your NO3 and PO4 levels drop near undetectable levels, cut your current dose in half. This will be your daily dose.

7. Keep dosing vodka every day (the dose on point 6) and keep monitoring your NO3 and PO4. If levels become detectable again, increase your daily dose by 0.1ml per week until the levels start to decrease again. Your NO3 and PO4 levels will eventually drop back to undetectable. This will become your new daily dose.

NB: Those instructions are for 80 proof vodka only (40% ethanol by volume).