PDA

View Full Version : Aquaspacelight lifespan

MitchM
01-29-2004, 01:46 PM
I replaced my Aquaspacelight last week. :rolleyes:
About a year ago, I had to replace a ballast, which was...challenging... :lol: (cheap, though, $30.00) :smile: , but about a month ago 1 light took longer and longer to light, then wouldn't light at all, then another started doing it...
I took it down to investigate and realized that it wasn't going to be fixed any time soon, as parts are difficult to come by, and the corals won't wait.
I read on RC where icecap had gutted and rewired a Spacelight, so I think that's what I'm going to do.
If anyone can think up a parts list for rewiring an external ballast, I would appreciate it.
The reason for going to an external ballast is that the Spacelight gets WAY too hot inside for the wires, clips and the nylon ties to last any length of time, as they were pretty brittle upon inspection. Mine is an earlier version that doesn't have vents on the top to allow heat to escape.
The unit is about 4 years old, 3 x 250wDE with 4 x 24w pc's.
Although it's pretty expensive, I'm really happy with the DE bulbs and the fixture itself that allows me to have an open top tank.

Mitch :smile:

StirCrazy
01-30-2004, 12:34 AM
what bulbs do you have in it now? and what are you thinking you want in it? it isn't realy that hard as far as I can guess to bad you didn't live closer you could come over one afternoon and I could do it for ya.

Steve

MitchM
01-30-2004, 12:45 AM
Actually, I'm in Vancouver tomorrow.... :wink:

I've got the 250w DE Aqualines 10000K in there, and I want to keep them, and the pc's.

Thanks,
Mitch

StirCrazy
01-30-2004, 01:17 AM
but are you going to be in victoria? :eek: take the ferry over and have lunch with Brad and I, it is a experiance you will never forget :mrgreen:

I think you would need to go with electronic ballast then as you can only have 5 feet of cord between the bulb and ballast with the m80

Steve

MitchM
01-30-2004, 01:22 AM
take the ferry over and have lunch with Brad and I, it is a experiance you will never forget :mrgreen:

lol..no doubt... :eek:

Yeah, ballast set-up needs to be about 10 feet from fixture. So is it 1 ballast per bulb? Any idea who sells the ballasts? (probably dumb question there... :lol: )

Mitch

StirCrazy
01-30-2004, 01:35 AM
take the ferry over and have lunch with Brad and I, it is a experiance you will never forget :mrgreen:

lol..no doubt... :eek:

Yeah, ballast set-up needs to be about 10 feet from fixture. So is it 1 ballast per bulb? Any idea who sells the ballasts? (probably dumb question there... :lol: )

Mitch

for hqi electronic, underworld aquatic will have a 250 watt HQI ballast if I am not mistakein. hopefully soon.

Steve