PDA

View Full Version : Reeflow pump/water change question?

bkelly
08-20-2011, 05:37 PM
I am revamping my water change procedure and think i may have to shut down my return pump to do it. My UV is hooked to it, can UVs be left on with out flow through for say 20 min? Also anyone know if its ok to turn off a reeflow pump (Tarapon) once a week to do this ? If I drain out of my tank for water changes i think sump level would get too low to allow for proper water return if i was to leave it on, right now i had been adding and removing at the same time. 180 gal tank/55 sump, say 20% change every 2 weeks.
thanks
brent

abcha0s
08-20-2011, 05:58 PM
You cannot leave your UV on with no water flowing through it. They are designed to be water cooled. You run the risk of the bulb cracking.

I'm not sure about the pump.

- Brad

Lampshade
08-20-2011, 06:30 PM
I have reactors hooked up to my main pump, when i target feed i open a bypass that dumps my return right back to my sump. it drops the pressure low enough that there's no water reaching the tank, but still keeps some(minimal) flow through the reactors. Works enough to keep my bio-pellets from blowing up when i close the valve. Might be an alternative for you.

bkelly
08-20-2011, 06:42 PM
thank you thats a great idea!