PDA

View Full Version : Selling my Brand New Set up

DisneyCoralReef
08-20-2011, 01:51 AM
Hey folks,
I am hoping someone here might be interested in this. I am looking at selling the set up I just had installed. I've flooded it once, and now up to the thousands in renos because I left the tap running(dont say anything).

Looking at selling everything: http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAd?AdId=307181413&MessageId=MSG.VIEW_AD.EDIT_AD_SUCCESSFULMXAdIdMZ30 7181413MXGuidMZ131e4529-3600-a20b-2774-7831ffffa896&mpname=Activity-EditAd&mpuid=1700199%3B127%3B307181413%3B47822408%3B%3B

Feel free to message me if you have any questions, or advice. Hubby is completely against me selling it, but I cant imagine going through this again, because I swear I have alzheimers and forget to turn things off.

arash53
08-20-2011, 02:21 AM
WOW Thats really $975 for everything and brand new! I wish you where here

DisneyCoralReef
08-20-2011, 02:25 AM
...I know, I know. I did price it to sell it quickly....hoping there is someone out there looking for a new set up.

tinman
08-20-2011, 03:16 AM
sorry to hear the news,i agree with your hubby there are lots of units at a reasonable price to control such things i have flooded my place a couple of times then i got smart and bought the right equipment and never had a problem again. if it wasn't for a bad memory i would have none at all.

DisneyCoralReef
08-20-2011, 03:20 AM
And he suggested to invest the money into the bells and whistles to have the tank do its own thing as far as auto top etc was concerned. I think the problem is me now. After having gone through this, I don't know that the joy of having a tank, will ever outweigh the fear of having another repeat of a flood because of one thing or another.

I'm really torn.

megs_clark
08-20-2011, 04:04 AM
Id say keep it and invest in a good top off unit like the tunze and ro/di unit that automaticly shuts off!! Its not much to add a thingy to shut the ro/di unit off when it hits a certain level in your bucket, Jl sells them I think. (Im assuming its your ro unit cuz thats what I always forget to turn off) Iv sold my tanks so many times, had my last one leak, and I always end up buying another one. Your better off keeping it, with how much you have invested, to give it away for that price would suck. And you will end up spending a bunch more down the road to start up again. Buy the automatic shut off thingy and set er up when the renos are done!!! Oh and keep a good insurance company!! :O)

riceboy
08-20-2011, 04:40 AM
Ya I say keep it to I flooded my parents house once but that was my stupidity of having the outlet of the ato in the sump in the water at a higher level then the resorvoir. So when the ato pumped the water it started a siphon and sucked water back out. Lesson learned lol and parents were ****ed for a couple days. Almost had to get rid of the tank.

cwatkins
08-20-2011, 05:12 AM
Just keep it and buy the Tunze Auto Top Off. It uses redundant sensors to ensure that it doesn't fill up your sump and overflow. Just ensure the tubing isn't submerged in the sump, otherwise as already mentioned, you could get a back siphon going.

Mine is great and haven't overflowed it once. Knock on wood.

And besides, I use an old salt bucket as my new fresh water reservoir, so it only holds about 5 gallons of water. And the sump for sure has at least 5 gallons of additional capacity, so there's no way to overflow the system, unless the drain on the tank gets plugged and the water pumped up to the tank overflows.

Good luck.

Cheers.

Also, PS. You shouldn't be using tap water in a salt tank. Some people do with success, but I'd be scared to. You really should be using RO or even RO/DI water.

Myka
08-20-2011, 05:29 AM
I use an old salt bucket as my new fresh water reservoir, so it only holds about 5 gallons of water. And the sump for sure has at least 5 gallons of additional capacity, so there's no way to overflow the system

This is what I do too. Redundancy avoids wet floors. I use the Tunze ATOs too.

unless the drain on the tank gets plugged and the water pumped up to the tank overflows.

This is one of many reasons why I use a Herbie style overflow. Two drains. More redundancy.

Bloodasp
08-20-2011, 05:49 AM
I think a lot of us here have gone through issues with flooding especially when we were setting it up, I've never had one for a while now though, so I'd say avoiding this accident comes with experience. You and your hubby are at least interested in it, this is just me but I'd say the risk is worth the reward.
And yeah ATO is probably one of those good investment that will save you a lot of headaches like the flooding that you had.

dsaundry
08-20-2011, 06:13 AM
If I could make a suggestion, as one who has had the 2 worst experiences this year that I have had in 10+ years reefing, I would advise you to hang on to the tank and stuff. You will regret it{selling} after a bit of time. I lost a total of 24 fish and a few corals and I was angry, sick and very frustrated at the hobby and myself. All that said, I went through a cool down and rethink period and my one tank is looking great again and I am even thinking about resetting up the other small one in the near future. This hobby definately has its highs and lows. Take your time, don't be in a hurry to give up, it takes a bit...Don't get too bummed out about it, take it slow and breathe a bit. Hang on to the tank and give it a while and then reset it up. Ato's are great and a must, I have one and they do work. Remember hind-sight is always 20/20 and there isn't anybody on this forum or any other one that hasn't lost something in this hobby that hurts a bunch. I hope you reconsider selling your set-up...but good luck either way.

Jaro
08-29-2011, 07:42 PM
If you are still looking to sell, I might want to buy some stuff.

call/text 403-613-3953

parkinsn
08-29-2011, 07:48 PM
Just saw this..... Sorry to hear Kelly. You should hang on to your stuff for a later date. Your not getting what you put into it. You will look back on this and laugh, we have all left the RO running. Simple mistake, you dont want to have to start over when you decide to get back in.

DisneyCoralReef
08-29-2011, 07:52 PM
Oh it's killing me. Hubby is more than willing to invest into the tank to make sure we have the bells and whistles to help prevent this from happening again. Its absolutely heart breaking after all the work we've done, and all those who've helped us put it together.

I'm so upset with this whole thing, I honestly cannot get myself to do this. For now, the tank is going to stay in storage until I spend more time at home and I can physically see the tank and stay there with it.

Jaro appreciate your interest. IF I were to still sell it, it would be everything as a whole, not pieces-as per the add description.

DisneyCoralReef
08-29-2011, 08:05 PM
Just saw this..... Sorry to hear Kelly. You should hang on to your stuff for a later date. Your not getting what you put into it. You will look back on this and laugh, we have all left the RO running. Simple mistake, you dont want to have to start over when you decide to get back in.
Oh you're not kidding Scott. I cried for a solid 2 weeks I was so upset. Hubby is saying to get the automatic top off and whatever else is needed to help control those types of issues from happening again. But you're right Scott. It makes me so upset to even think about selling it-that I think we are going to leave it in storage and bring it back out in a few months, at least when the condo is rebuild...

Bloodasp
08-29-2011, 08:54 PM
Good for you to decide to try to give it one more shot.

kafug
10-12-2011, 01:25 AM
what i was thinking of doing on my tank build is waterproofing the bottom 12 or so inches of my stand as long as i have enough room to squeeze in my sump. It might not hold all the water( 20-30 gallons) but it will hold quite a bit. Better then it all ending on the floor. Just my :idea:

Money pit
10-12-2011, 04:56 AM
what i was thinking of doing on my tank build is waterproofing the bottom 12 or so inches of my stand as long as i have enough room to squeeze in my sump. It might not hold all the water( 20-30 gallons) but it will hold quite a bit. Better then it all ending on the floor. Just my :idea:
OK just thinking out load and this probably makes no sense, But how about running a drain from your waterproof stand to your sump?

bryceschutte
10-12-2011, 07:09 AM
Did you know that most insurance plans cover you leaving a tap on.

Blom
10-12-2011, 12:37 PM
lol it happens. I too am in a condo for now, and I too left the RO running. Flooded the bathroom out, I was just lucky that it didnt flood the people below me out. Lesson learned, fill RO in bathtub!!

fishoholic
10-12-2011, 01:22 PM
Flooding happens to everyone in this hobby. Thankfully my tanks are in the basement where I generally could care less if it floods. I have an ATO but needless to say if you turn off the ATO then move the ATO hose out of he sump to clean out a piece of equipment, remember to put the hose back into the tank before plugging the ATO back in :twised: I dumped about 10g of water all over the carpet before I realized my stupid mistake :redface:

NanoN00b
10-24-2011, 01:39 PM
Flooding happens to everyone in this hobby.

Actually... ;) *knocks on wood*

I have not ever had this happen in four years... Mind you, I was previously in a rental apartment with a 29G BioCube, so we both know there isn't a lot of water like some of the larger tanks I see. And everyone will then say four years isn't long enough of a reference point maybe, but it's all I've got in salt.

Best investment is ATO and a laundry sink for smaller tanks (25-50) and ATO (Built-in or otherwise) plus a salt mixing system that I've seen a lot of people build for larger tanks (50G+) IMO. Again, totally personal opinion. This is not including RO, so lets not go into all the other things, I'm talking about this.

I would say keep it also, but that's me. I've lost fish and coral, usually to my own stupidity - and I continue to work on it.

I've found the two most annoying parts of the hobby for me are water changes and monitoring. Any larger tank that goes in at home will include the salt mixing and ATO, plus monitoring of params, like a RKE NET or something... Yeah, I know it's stupid expensive... but in the long run, knowing something is awry with the heater long before you suspect it is worth it to me, same with salinity changes or pH issues.

All in all, I've heard of lots of floods (hundreds reading forums - a number in RL offline) and other problems (I wouldn't recommend a poor quality ATO either) but all in all - I think I love the hobby enough that I would overcome them.

Wait a second... 995?!?! YOU SHOULD SELL EVERYTHING. TO ME. j/k! ;)

Skimmerking
10-24-2011, 01:42 PM
you have a great hubby kido leave it and go for it.Oh it's killing me. Hubby is more than willing to invest into the tank to make sure we have the bells and whistles to help prevent this from happening again. Its absolutely heart breaking after all the work we've done, and all those who've helped us put it together.

I'm so upset with this whole thing, I honestly cannot get myself to do this. For now, the tank is going to stay in storage until I spend more time at home and I can physically see the tank and stay there with it.

Jaro appreciate your interest. IF I were to still sell it, it would be everything as a whole, not pieces-as per the add description.