PDA

View Full Version : Getting out of Saltwater Reefing

DisneyCoralReef
08-19-2011, 11:15 PM
It's with a lot of regret and ****ed off'ness that I'm getting out of attempting to build a reef. It took me over a year to build everything, do some reading, spend hundreds of hours searching and reading, and it flooded, and you know what-I'm out.

I knew it would happen at one point or another, but after living on planks, in shoes, and having no wall between our master bedroom and living room- I'm still trying to financially get back on my feet after I flooded our place. That killed it for me. That was all it took, but I don't have the heart anymore to try to put this back together, I won't enjoy it knowing it really doesn't take much to have a repeat. I've thought about this, but I'm very sensitive to disappointments and those types of stress. I shouldn't have gone into this in the first place, I had no idea.

I'm out. Wanted to thank all of you, who spent hours helping me out(especially Scott-you were amazing). Thank you to all the PMs and phone calls to help me set this up.

I have just listed everything on the web to sell as a whole. I just want it out of the house. Some of you might be interested, even if all you want is parts, buying everything might be of value to you just for some of the main components(resell some of it separately-whatever).

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-pets-other-BRAND-NEW-80G-Saltwater-Fish-Tank-W0QQAdIdZ307181413

I'm really thankful I had you guys around, thanks again :cry:

spawn
08-19-2011, 11:39 PM
Sorry to hear. I flooded out once with my ato... but it was only 5 gal. Maybe dont say yes to the first purchaser. You may change your mind..... I was lucky as the basement is still being renoed.

daniella3d
08-20-2011, 03:25 AM
what caused the flood?

intarsiabox
08-20-2011, 03:54 AM
Sorry to hear what happened. I'm rather paranoid about these things so I put an extra bulkhead at the top of my sump and attached a hose that goes directly to a floor drain. This way if anything goes wrong and float valves fail the excess water will go to the sewer and not my floor. Just food for thought if you want to give it another go. Totally understand though, wife would kill me and sell my tank if I caused water damage to the house.

mark
08-20-2011, 05:11 AM
sorry to hear as well and also wondering what happened

naesco
08-20-2011, 01:13 PM
Sorry to hear this but your home insurance will cover the cleanup, all damages but will not cover the cost of replacement of the fish and coral.

Wayne

amoreira
08-21-2011, 03:20 PM
Geeze man, no need to get out because you forgot to turn off the top-off water. For about $100 you can set yourself up with a cheap auto-top off system. I have the Tunze Auto-topoff system and it has been reliable for the past 4 years. Oh well.

Aquaria
08-21-2011, 10:39 PM
You do realize if u give the hobby up and sell your tank the repairs will have been in vain lol u can finish your days work going wow I don't even have anything to show for my work :p GL with everything just my opinion but I wouldn't give up

gobytron
08-22-2011, 02:24 PM
Dude...
You made on of the most common rookie mistakes as a rookie.
It's rough but no real indicator of your potential in this hobby.

At least sit on your gear for a little while before you sell.
give yourself time to think and destress.

globaldesigns
08-22-2011, 04:15 PM
I agree with everyone, we all can tell you our stories.

I myself, when I got my big tank, was almost crying a couple times trying to set it up.... As water is pouring out the top Display on my head twice, then once when I got up in the middle of the night to the display starting to pour over... Again rookie mistakes I made, but since then never had an issue.

I wouldn't leave, and I would recommend investing in the good stuff, like the Tunze ATO. I also use this without issue.

We are here to help, just ask us!

lastlight
08-22-2011, 04:20 PM
It's never too late for these.

I had to dismantle my topoff/mixing station in the basement so my mixing tank is temporarily sitting on top of my fridge. So first time I have run the ro/di upstairs in this place.

Yeah I flooded the kitchen a little this weekend. I set an alarm on my phone. It's only useful if you set it again when you determine the fillup needs more time lol.

Gotta power through.