PDA

View Full Version : Orange monti cap without polyps!

arash53
08-19-2011, 10:46 PM
Hi ,

I have an Orange/Pink Monticap in my tank it is growing but I cant see the polyps on it! is it normal or it is not happy?

when I got it it was size of loonie.

http://i735.photobucket.com/albums/ww353/arash53/1fcb2ed9.jpg

FitoPharmer
08-19-2011, 10:51 PM
How close are you looking underwater? Not all sps extend their polyps. Another problem is the polyps can be very small, semi transparent, and colored to match the coral very well. If the coral is growing, and shows no signs of bleaching or die off, It is healthy.

arash53
08-19-2011, 10:59 PM
It is growing and getting to close to my RBTA and frogspwan ,I need to move it soon.

OK so it is possible it has pink or orange polyps, I was worried because I saw in the pictures they have pig white polyps.

FitoPharmer
08-19-2011, 11:03 PM
Some corals have different colored polyps compared to the flesh of their base. These are more sought after because of the contrast. I would imagine in nature because of polyp predators most corals would evolve polyps that either match their base flesh color, or are transparent to mimic the base color(s).

arash53
08-19-2011, 11:12 PM
Thanks FitoPharmer :)

spawn
08-19-2011, 11:46 PM
I have the same cap & was just giving some of it away, if it starts getting close to other rocks besides the one that it's mounted on, you should move it because once it really takes off it can be all consuming. I was warned about this from the guy who gave it to me & it's somewhat controlled... but only somewhat. I eventulay may have to take that rock out. That means relocating a bunch of different corals:(