PDA

View Full Version : Diamond Watchman Goby has disappered!

Mechaninano
08-19-2011, 02:10 AM
So I got a Diamond Watchman Goby about a week ago and for the first three days he was going about digging his burrow and seemed to be acclimating quickly. Then on the fourth day I didn't see him at all. day five same thing and the sand had started to grow more algae. Concerned that he may have been crushed by a caved in rock I started to remove them from the sand bed. I moved all 5 rocks and shifted the sand around and found no sign of him.
Is it possible something has eaten it??
Here's what is in the tank (That I know of lol)
Yellow Watchman Goby (1/2 the size of the Diamond)
Emerald Crab fairly large
3 inch green bubble tip anenome
2 inch black ice snowflake clown
all of the above is smaller than the Diamond by at least an inch or more

If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated. I would hate to have a dead fish poison the tank now.

25 gallon tank currently
90 gal. setup in progress

Bloodasp
08-19-2011, 02:28 AM
Wodering if you have a sump. Or how old your tank is. Or do you have a canopy.
1. If you have a sump it might have jumped into the overflow slid down the pipe and is now in your sump.
2. Depending on how old your tank is, it might have died quite some time ago and just disentegrated quite fast.
3. It might have jumped if you don't have anything covering your tank.

Mechaninano
08-19-2011, 02:34 AM
There is an aquaclear 70 and a small koralia power head for filtration/circulation and a small reef octopus skimmer. There is no sump and we have 1cm x 1cm eggcrate covering the top. I've thought of the possiblilty that he might have jumped out of the tank and my dogs ate him? There are no remains or signs of him at all in the tank, and he was last seen a few days ago. We have had the tank set up for a few months from left overs from another tank that was well established and everything else in the tank seems to be doing very well. Are they know for jumping (I'm not too sure if he would have fit through the eggcrate easliy) or could he be deep inside one of the rocks (I only moved them, I did not remove them to look). Thanks again for any help that you guys have to offer.

FitoPharmer
08-19-2011, 11:13 PM
Here are some questions, might help you narrow the disappearance down:
Do you have the prefilter on your AC or is it ran open?
How long has the yellow watchman been in the tank?
Was the goby eating any food while he was alive?
The tank is 25 gallons?
Where is your live rock from? was it "fresh" from store? ever hear snaps or pops?
Where is your bubble tip amenone in the tank?
When you setup your tank did you place the rock on the bottom of your tank or on top of the sand bed?
No hermit crabs?

Mechaninano
08-19-2011, 11:52 PM
Here are some questions, might help you narrow the disappearance down:
Do you have the prefilter on your AC or is it ran open?
How long has the yellow watchman been in the tank?
Was the goby eating any food while he was alive?
The tank is 25 gallons?
Where is your live rock from? was it "fresh" from store? ever hear snaps or pops?
Where is your bubble tip amenone in the tank?
When you setup your tank did you place the rock on the bottom of your tank or on top of the sand bed?
No hermit crabs?

There is a foam sponge over the end of the ac filter intake, the yellow watchman was the first fish we put in the tank (about a month and a half ago), he was about half the size of the diamond goby, the diamond goby seemed like he was eating (he was sifting the sand), the rock came from my brothers established (well over a year old) 112g tank as did the sand, no we just put the rocks on top of the sand. We have only 1 (that I know of) hermit crab and he's very small. I am thinking that the goby has died, we did some more searching and found nothing (not even fish bones), but the ammonia was up a little (we've since done a water change and the levels are good again) We have not heard any snapping or popping noises coming from the tank (I assume that would mean a mantis shrimp or some other evil predatory meany to pick on my livestock).

Thanks everyone for your help, but I think the goby died and was just comsumed (by either the things in the tank, or he got out and my dog ate him). I hope that when I transfer all of my things from the 25g to my 90g that we find him to be ok, but I won't hold my breath.

toytech
08-20-2011, 01:36 AM
Mine lasted 12 hours before i found him on my carpet and my tank has a plexi cover . Everything is covered except a small 1cmx1cm hole and yet he still found it and ended up jerky.