PDA

View Full Version : Need help with sand plague

tprowse0804
08-19-2011, 01:49 AM
My 75 gallon has been set up for just over a week.

3 days ago, I notied that the sand around the heater was browning and then in the ccorner under may powerhead.
Over the course of the day today, It has taken over a quarter of my tank.
My paramaters are all good (I think).
Nitrate- 20ppm
nitrite- 0-0.5
water hardness-425
alkalinity-300ppm
ph-8.4
What can I do to fix and prevent this?

75g reef
2 clownfish
1 coral beauty
1 orchid dottyback
40# live rock with various algae
trumpet coral
torch coral
And a couple other type of polyp that Im not sure o

naesco
08-19-2011, 01:59 AM

3 days ago, I notied that the sand around the heater was browning and then in the ccorner under may powerhead.
Nitrate- 20ppm
nitrite- 0-0.5
water hardness-425
alkalinity-300ppm
ph-8.4

75g reef
2 clownfish
1 coral beauty
1 orchid dottyback
trumpet coral
torch coral

I am correct that you have a 3 week old tank and you have already added fish in it?
What is your ammonia reading?
Diatoms on the sand is 100% normal and will go away

tprowse0804
08-19-2011, 03:27 AM
I am correct that you have a 3 week old tank and you have already added fish in it?
What is your ammonia reading?
Diatoms on the sand is 100% normal and will go away
Actually it's worse. I received the tank 1 1/2weeks ago and put the fish in immediately(inherited tank from uncle with one day to pick up and set up).
How long does it take to go away, And Does it really take over all the sand? It is getting worse. It looks terrible. It has to one extent or another, the entire sand bottom.
Is there something I can do to get rid of it?

monocus
08-19-2011, 03:55 AM
diadoms last anywhere from one to two weeks-then the hair algae starts.and the fun begins.your tank is going to have to cycle-which takes time.do weekly water changes and keep an eye on the peramiters.try not to add anything for a while excepy maybe a clean-up crew in a week or two-keep your skimmer going

RedCoralEdmonton
08-19-2011, 04:52 AM
tprowse0804 if you feel that your fish may suffer during this time, please bring them down to the store, I have 2 65 gallon qt tanks free atm.... you are welcome to house your fish there for a few weeks if needed...

Steve

Madreefer
08-19-2011, 05:24 AM
tprowse0804 if you feel that your fish may suffer during this time, please bring them down to the store, I have 2 65 gallon qt tanks free atm.... you are welcome to house your fish there for a few weeks if needed...

Steve

What a nice offer. There needs to be more store owners like this. Definetly a place I would support if I had to live in Edmonton,

naesco
08-19-2011, 09:03 PM

Nitrate- 20ppm
nitrite- 0-0.5
water hardness-425
alkalinity-300ppm
ph-8.4
75g reef
2 clownfish
1 coral beauty
1 orchid dottyback
trumpet coral
torch coral

Please take up the very generous offer to look after your fish for a while. Take them immediately. Your fish have no chance of living through a cycle so that must be done now before they are damaged.