PDA

View Full Version : Lighting Question!!!

HaZRaTTy
08-18-2011, 05:48 PM
Hey,

I"m currently setting up a approx 30G Reef Dimensions of 36L - 16H - 18W which works out to be approx 30G.

I'm trying to decide what sort of lighting and how much light I need to keep SPS, LPS. I'm not planning on SPS off the get go but it would be nice to have the Lighting available for the time I decide I'm ready.

I was researching and I believe I want to go with a 4 Bulb - T5HO System. Question would that be enough light for SPS? Considering placement of the SPS in the tank.

Would you recommend a 6 Bulb?

Also how should I Setup my Bulbs 10k? Actinic?

Anyways thanks for the info.:mrgreen:

(I'm sure you've answered these questions alot before!!)

skabooya
08-18-2011, 06:40 PM
For sps I would recommend a 6 bulb fixture. If you get really addicted and want to keep the higher light demanding sps then your prepared for it. A 6 bulb fixture also allows for much more combinations and bulb choices. I have a 4 bulb fixture and It would have been nice to have one more just to have a 6500k bulb for my macro but oh well.
As for combos? Probably one of each bulb except for actinic. Maybe 2 actinic bulbs because it just makes things pop. :)

lorenz0
08-18-2011, 08:01 PM
basically the same footprint as my tank

go 6 bulbs, you won't regret it

HaZRaTTy
08-18-2011, 09:32 PM
Hey looking around @ Lights and different combinations. I have checked eBay.

I found a few that were dirt cheap, what do I look for outage on these lights compared to Tek and other name brand T5HO systems?

This is the fixture I stumbled across.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/36-INCH-6pc-T5-HO-AQUARIUM-REEF-LIGHTS-w-Timer-234W-/300584632016?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item45fc3d7ed0

There is also this one for double the price.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/36-T5-HO-Aquarium-Light-6x-39-watt-Reef-w-Lunar-Moon-/260758011005?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb6637c7d

What lighting setup would you guys recommend? I've done so much research and I've been in the fish world of quite some time, I just can't grasp the Lighting aspect and how much I will need.