PDA

View Full Version : HELP WITH FLOWER POT

jimbog
08-18-2011, 04:12 AM
can anyone outthere pls help me with the infamous FLOWER POT coral im wondering is ther any members that have had sucess with it, and if so how? I've read that it needs prestine water quality . But even with that the chance of survival is only 10% any help pls while i still have hair left to pull out:lol::confused:

RuGlu6
08-18-2011, 07:45 AM
Feed it reef roids (http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/product-info.php?product_ID=plb-rr004)

blacknife
08-18-2011, 04:46 PM
Depends on species the pink one I had and lost never showed a feeding response to roid s. Only rarely showed any response. Oyster eggs got the most for me. have you read the few online guides for them already? I dont have any links on my phone but a few bookmarked on the comp.`.

kien
08-18-2011, 08:28 PM
Why do you call it "infamous" ?? :-)

daniella3d
08-19-2011, 02:45 AM
I have a green one for nearly 2 years now. It has never showed any response to target feeding, but I do feed my tank with coral food specialized for goniopora and alveopora, like ReefRoid, Coral Frenzy, Fauna marin and some amino acid.

Iron and magnanese really help this coral avoid shrinking and wasting away.

can anyone outthere pls help me with the infamous FLOWER POT coral im wondering is ther any members that have had sucess with it, and if so how? I've read that it needs prestine water quality . But even with that the chance of survival is only 10% any help pls while i still have hair left to pull out:lol::confused:

Matman
08-19-2011, 08:37 PM
Yep Kent iron and manganese is supposed to help these corals. Before I sell mine, it was acceping cyclopeeze and nutramar ova. I was also giving it a bunch of different foods from Fauna marin. Apparently Claude Schumacher (the guy from Fauna marin) was suggesting to use the food ultra zoa soaked in ultra min D.

Too bad it's hard to get ORA corals in Canada, because they apparently have a red specie that don't need any solid food and propagate in captivity.

I think it's also important to get an healthy specimen from the start. I often see specimen in bad shape in some stores and they are probably fail from the start.

ReefOcean
08-21-2011, 12:14 PM
ahhh the flower pot coral. I have owned 2, both trucked along without a hitch then poof, their tissue decays and plop. I actually have one that has been holding on for dear life for about 2 years. The polups barely extend and about 90 percent of it is dead. The other one went to coral heaven bout 4 years ago. :sad:

RuGlu6
08-21-2011, 02:43 PM
Depends on species the pink one I had and lost never showed a feeding response to roid s. Only rarely showed any response. Oyster eggs got the most for me. have you read the few online guides for them already? I dont have any links on my phone but a few bookmarked on the comp.`.

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66875&highlight=gonioporah

Sold mine because it gotten too big. It gave me 3 offshoots and i sold two and kept one for my self.
The one i kept is growing to 2 inch ball now. i feed reefroids and other small particle food, but find reef roids is better. not target feeding.