PDA

View Full Version : orchid dottyback has parasite?

tprowse0804
08-17-2011, 03:53 AM
I have had my tank set up for a week(long story, instant intro inot saltwater).
32 days ago, my orchid developed an elonged white strip on his left gill.
I have a quarantine tank set up over the last 5 days just addinglive rock yesterday(not an established tan).
My question is weather I should
A. capture him and try to physically remove it
B. Put him in the quarantine tank and.........

cathyg_99
08-17-2011, 04:31 AM
I have had my tank set up for a week(long story, instant intro inot saltwater).
32 days ago, my orchid developed an elonged white strip on his left gill.
I have a quarantine tank set up over the last 5 days just addinglive rock yesterday(not an established tan).
My question is weather I should
A. capture him and try to physically remove it
B. Put him in the quarantine tank and.........

unsure of what it is, but if your just adding rock now i would put him in quarantine, you will have an ammonia spike while your tank is cycling, you want to wait at least 3-4 weeks before you add any fish, the cycle will stress him out and possibly kill him with the high ammonia

tprowse0804
08-17-2011, 10:12 PM
Sorry, I added rock to the quarantine.
I was forced to set up the tank and put fish in it immediately after due to inheriting the tank on a "pick it all up today" basis.
He didn't have it (that I noticed) when I first put him in.
It is still there.
The problem is is that the quarantine tank is far less established than the reg tank. One live rock(just put in), hanging filter(previously used for freshwater) and a heater.
Do I risk putting him in the quarantine tank?
Or is it of no harm to the other fish, let him ride it out?

cathyg_99
08-17-2011, 10:51 PM
Sorry, I added rock to the quarantine.
I was forced to set up the tank and put fish in it immediately after due to inheriting the tank on a "pick it all up today" basis.
He didn't have it (that I noticed) when I first put him in.
It is still there.
The problem is is that the quarantine tank is far less established than the reg tank. One live rock(just put in), hanging filter(previously used for freshwater) and a heater.
Do I risk putting him in the quarantine tank?
Or is it of no harm to the other fish, let him ride it out?

if you put him in a quarantine tank you can treat it without dosing your entire tank, also if it is a parasite that latched on that last thing you want is it going after your other fish if its killed the orchid so i would risk moving it

tprowse0804
08-18-2011, 05:29 PM
if you put him in a quarantine tank you can treat it without dosing your entire tank, also if it is a parasite that latched on that last thing you want is it going after your other fish if its killed the orchid so i would risk moving it
Thanks for your help. Any suggestions what to use to treat?

cathyg_99
08-18-2011, 09:56 PM
im no expert but i would say something like this its an all round treatment, because we know its something ich or a parasite it will work for both http://www.bigalspets.ca/Kent-Rx-Parasite-Treatment-OZ/dp/B0002DIXO0?ie=UTF8&id=Kent%20Rx%20Parasite%20Treatment%20OZ&field_product_site_launch_date_utc=-1y&field_availability=-1&field_browse=3098376011&searchSize=12&searchNodeID=3098376011&searchPage=2&refinementHistory=brandtextbin%2Csubjectbin%2Ccolo r_map%2Cprice%2Csize_name&searchRank=salesrank