PDA

View Full Version : upside down jellyfish

monocus
08-16-2011, 02:08 PM
upside down jellyfish $1 each.the size of a loony-will grow to about 4 "

STANKYfish
08-16-2011, 04:19 PM
I have seen these at j&l, very cool. Are they easy to keep in your tank? Will they sting corals or fish? Or should they be kept in their own tank?

dsaundry
08-16-2011, 04:40 PM
Everything I have read says they are not reef safe. Here's a quick link.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+505+543&pcatid=543

msjboy
08-16-2011, 07:23 PM
Saw some Cassiopea ( aka upside down jellyfish ) last week at King Ed... I believe they should be in a tank of its own with low flow. There's been discussions on them in the past on canreef so just do a search.

This company is building a dedicated tank for
jellyfish:

http://reefbuilders.com/2011/08/15/jellyfish-art-desktop-aquarium/

ScubaSteve
08-16-2011, 10:22 PM
Hey, Are you breeding these jellies? I am interested in these guys as my plan is to set-up a 15 gallon mangrove refugium, and Cassiopeias are awesome for that kind of a set-up.

That being said, I'm not yet ready for that at the moment. I just discovered a small leak in my tank, so I'm going to have to build that bad boy up before I can take the jellies. Will you have more of these in the near future?

mark
08-16-2011, 10:38 PM
Everything I have read says they are not reef safe. Here's a quick link.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+505+543&pcatid=543

considering they rest on the sand, wondering why not reef compatible?

dsaundry
08-17-2011, 02:02 AM
Sting corals and fish..they can move.:biggrin:

monocus
08-17-2011, 02:40 AM
i have them in a 40 gal tank with 2 firefish gobies,some mushrooms and a turban coral(couple of crabs,snails& a tiger cowry.they are harmless and stick to the bottom of the tank,or the sides of the glass.they feed on light and maybe some phyto.i have handled them many times with no effects(unlike some corals or anenomies).as far as i'm concerned they are reef safe as they are not preditory.i also have about 50 in the tank ranging from 1/4 inch to 1 1/2 inches with more starting in other tanks.
once in a while they will move through the water collumn but most of the time they are on the bottom

Colby82
08-17-2011, 08:24 PM
http://www.ohgizmo.com/2011/08/15/desktop-jellyfish-tank/

can at least get a stand alone low flow tank...

MKLKT
08-18-2011, 12:19 AM
To be fair though I wouldn't be surprised if it was an opportunistic feeder, it's listed as omni/carnivore. Like your tiger cowrie (I tried one once had problems with it eating certain corals and slower animals as well as bulldozing the liverock like crazy), I'd wager it needs a setup that has the least chance for causing problems. Certainly a "with caution".

ScubaSteve
08-18-2011, 12:49 AM
To be fair though I wouldn't be surprised if it was an opportunistic feeder, it's listed as omni/carnivore. Like your tiger cowrie (I tried one once had problems with it eating certain corals and slower animals as well as bulldozing the liverock like crazy), I'd wager it needs a setup that has the least chance for causing problems. Certainly a "with caution".

Cassiopeia's have a pretty mild sting. They are mostly photosythetic via zooxantellae but will catch small prey like pods and such from the water. They are primarily benthic and will only leave the sand unless you really p--- them off.. so they're not really going to go hunting for anything and are not likely to cause any major damage to all but the most sensitive corals. If a fish gets eaten by one of these guys, it's evolution saying that fish was pretty retarded and not fit for life. I'd call these guys 100x more reefsafe than my mini-maxi carpet nem.

They're pretty easy to care for. As they not pelagic and tend to rest on the substrate, they don't need specialized planktonkreisels to keep them from touching the sides of the tank.

ReefOcean
08-21-2011, 11:59 AM
upside down jellyfish $1 each.the size of a loony-will grow to about 4 "

Do you have a regular turnaround for these IE Breeding? I couldn't put them in my tank yet (doing a mini cycle) but in 2 weeks I could take about 20 off your hands.

Let me know. thx

monocus
08-21-2011, 01:33 PM
have lots of different sizes ranging from 1/4" to the size of a toonie-well over 100-shouldn't be a problem in 3 weeks

The Grizz
08-25-2011, 05:01 AM
Would love to see some pics please

monocus
08-25-2011, 05:36 AM
i'll take some photos and post them tomorrow

The Grizz
08-26-2011, 02:53 AM
Just out of pure curiosity, can these be kept with any other tank mates that require a low flow environment?

monocus
08-26-2011, 03:47 AM
took some photos-now just need to find my usb for my camera(among all the other usbs).i have them in with my firefish(2),mollies(4),bunch of mushrooms,a turbin,sun coral i'm nursing back to health,couple of hermits,and snails and a tiger cowry.in some other tanks there are some in with my neon gobies.no problems so far-been in there for 2 months after transfering them from the gobies tanks.(over 50)

The Grizz
08-26-2011, 04:46 AM
I wonder if ther would go good in a tank with seahorse's & a spotted box fish. The wife, to my surprise said, she would be cool with a small tank incorporated into the kitchen when we remodel. That is what she wants in the tank.