PDA

View Full Version : LF: Good saltwater aquarium books

MEDHBSI
08-14-2011, 11:09 PM
So im leaving friday for out of town work and I figured this is the best use of my time :) I'm not sure if this is the right section to place this post but i know it will get some responces so im sorry for annoying anyone. I already bought "saltwater aquariums" and im really enjoying the read. If anyone has some must read books on saltwater auqarium or coral care or anything to do with the hobby for sale or for free I would really appreciate it.

ps i already looked in my local chapters and there selections was sub par :(

Jason

msjboy
08-15-2011, 01:18 AM
Check amazon.com with the keywords "marine aquarium".... The book i thought was ok is The marine reef aquarium by phil hunt. Most books are pre 2008.....and seems outdated with new technology /methodologies coming into the knowlegde base thru collective minds unavailable a few yrs go. Seems forums like canreef, reefsantuary, nanoreef.com etc have a much better knowledge base and specialization than these books and i can only suggest reading them if you are a newbie. Maybe this is why we dont see too many new books on marine aquaria.

Also, check out libraries... They have many of the books shown at amazon.com; especially the vancouver one. Also check the freebie app, pocketreef for iphone.
Hope this helps

Msjboy

MEDHBSI
08-17-2011, 01:55 AM
anyone??? I'm leaving firday :( and havent aquired any new books yet

fisher
08-17-2011, 04:10 AM
The reef aquarium volume 1 2 3 i bought these when i was starting out lots of good info 100.00 for all three

Chowder
08-17-2011, 05:00 AM
I have a copy of The Conscientious Marine Aquarium byRobert M. Fenner and a copy of Aquarium corals by Eric H. Borneman. I can sell both of them for $25 each.

http://www.amazon.com/Conscientious-Marine-Aquarist-Commonsense-Successful/dp/1890087025

http://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Corals-Selection-Husbandry-Natural/dp/1890087483

Chris

FitoPharmer
08-17-2011, 02:45 PM
I also own Aquarium corals by Eric H. Borneman. One of the best books on corals ever, great info and pictures :mrgreen:

jostafew
08-17-2011, 04:56 PM
I'm not willing to part with mine, but the posts above have already listed the two best resources that I'm aware of:

Aquarium Corals by Eric Borneman
and if you really want to get detailed:
The Reef Aquarium (vols 1-3) by Julian Sprung

By the time you finish the Reef Aquarium vol 1 you WILL understand water chemistry and the life processes of corals! Vol 1 focuses on water chemistry, water movement, lighting requirements, etc. and goes into details about the stony chorals. Vol 2 focuses mainly on the corals that were left out of vol 1, and Vol 3 gets more into the systems involved in creating and managing a reef aquarium.

Aquarium Corals is excellent as well but is obviously more condensed than the 3 vol series above. Lots of great info there on aquarium systems, chemistry etc, and descriptions and care info for most common corals. Depending on how much time you have to kill while you're on vacation I would pick this book up for sure. If you crave more then move onto the Reef Aquarium series.

TimT
08-17-2011, 05:28 PM
I have The Modern Coral Reef Aquarium by Fossa and Nilsen, Volumes 1 2 3. Will sell all 3 for $125.