PDA

View Full Version : New to salt-

tprowse0804
08-14-2011, 06:33 PM
Hello
I was reffered to this site by the folks at big al's in edmonton.
I have inherited a 75g saltwater tank with:2-oceleris clowns, and 1-coral beauty angel along with 5 hermit crabs, polyps, live sand and rock and a host of growing organisms that I would like to learn about
I used to keep 77g,55g,40g, and 20g freshwater tanks for years with geographical tanks, predatory tanks etc.
I am lost with the saltwater. I have read a marine fish for beginners book and learned that I have a lot to learn
I have 2 questions

1. What is the best internet resource for identifying what I have(pictures to compare)
2. What do you see in my pics? Please note the number in the picture order when identifying.

I will have more and more questions as I go I am sure. But this will get me started. Thanks in advance for the help.

kien
08-14-2011, 06:53 PM
Welcome to canreef :-)

IMG42 - I could be wrong but it looks like a fish tank with some live rock, sand and a clown fish.
IMG44 - brown palythoa (button) polyps
IMG45 - candy cane coral
IMG58 - a hunk of live rock with coraline growing on it maybe?
IMG62 - looks like aiptasia. Get rid of it now :-). (seriously, take that piece of of rock that it appears to be mounted to and throw it in the trash. You'll thank me later.) Those things are evil.

lastlight
08-14-2011, 07:03 PM
I use these two sites a lot to id/learn stuff:

More so for beginners:

http://www.melevsreef.com/id/

I'm always here for fish id etc:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/

outacontrol
08-14-2011, 07:09 PM
Welcome to canreef :-)

IMG42 - I could be wrong but it looks like a fish tank with some live rock, sand and a clown fish.
IMG44 - brown palythoa (button) polyps
IMG45 - candy cane coral
IMG58 - a hunk of live rock with coraline growing on it maybe?
IMG62 - looks like aiptasia. Get rid of it now :-). (seriously, take that piece of of rock that it appears to be mounted to and throw it in the trash. You'll thank me later.) Those things are evil.[/SIZE]

Can't emphasize that enough, throw that piece in the garbage and look for any other aiptasia in the tank.

tprowse0804
08-14-2011, 07:47 PM
Can't emphasize that enough, throw that piece in the garbage and look for any other aiptasia in the tank.
It didn't take much reseach for me to begin an immediate evacuation of the aipasia. mine was similar in color to the button polyps, so I wasn't sure, but structuraly identical with a few brownish pics as well.
Thanks for the reply.I have another one that I need to take a pic of and post.

tprowse0804
08-14-2011, 08:46 PM
Thanks for the sight last light. live aquaria is awesome.

I have inlcuded a couple more pics for ID if you could lend your expertise again outtacontrol or anyone else please.

pic353 for ID
pic 354 is some kind of sac. There are 2 of them in my tank. I have seen them in oceans with kelp. What are they?
pic 355:Looking for ID on the rock itself.
Top: is very tough and heavy.
bottom: is intertwined hard coral like substance(broke a little chunk off in placing). Should I have my heay rock on this? It is stable, but is it bad for it? also, the piece holding up the other side of the rock has some neon green f"fuzz" growing out of it. what would that be?

lenzh
08-14-2011, 09:27 PM
Thanks for the sight last light. live aquaria is awesome.

I have inlcuded a couple more pics for ID if you could lend your expertise again outtacontrol or anyone else please.

pic353 for ID
pic 354 is some kind of sac. There are 2 of them in my tank. I have seen them in oceans with kelp. What are they?
pic 355:Looking for ID on the rock itself.
Top: is very tough and heavy.
bottom: is intertwined hard coral like substance(broke a little chunk off in placing). Should I have my heay rock on this? It is stable, but is it bad for it? also, the piece holding up the other side of the rock has some neon green f"fuzz" growing out of it. what would that be?

353 looks like torch coral (euphyllia species)

354 is just what you think it is. a type of algae (some other Canreefers have been having fun with this lately http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=77647&highlight=balls)

355 is simply live rock. Live rock is usually chunks that break off of a coral reef, so it can have lots of interesting shapes and textures. Should be stable to put something on, but that piece is probably nice enough that you'll want to show it off a bit. The pink stuff breaking off the rock is coraline algae which encrusts rocks over time. Neon green fuzz could be algae, or might be green star polyps (search for "GSP") on this forum for pics.