PDA

View Full Version : Introducing corals to tank//Rookie

Dorkel Marine 1
06-23-2002, 11:56 PM
Well I have my sand bed in and its looks good. if anyone read my previous posts its not in the 10 gal its in the 30 gal. A few generous siblings on father's day. My question is,as i will be adding new corals soon is how to go about adding them. They will be soft corals and maybe a few gorgorians. Any advice or good webpages would be appreciated. the 10 gal tank has 30 watts of light hanging over it the 30 gal tank has 55 watts hanging over it. Thanks in advance George Muller. Happy reefin.

ps. Thinking of upgrading lighting on 10 gal. Any suggestions on where to purchase lighting that would work in this situation. Thanks again

SuperFudge
06-24-2002, 12:19 AM
Hey George,

I would consider a few low light corals such as mushrooms (discoma,actinodiscus),Alcyonium(tree corals),Xenia or anthelia.
gorgonians could be touble for you,not necessarily lighting but a food shortage in such a new system.

This is assuming of course water params are established and water is stable at this point.

What are your current inhabitants ?

Marc.

Dorkel Marine 1
06-24-2002, 12:52 AM
SuperFudge thanks for the reply. My 10 gal has only a percula clown(wild) and a wonderful bicolor blenny. A few hermits and snails. The water in this tank is very stable. I do weekly waterchanges and its bang on. I'm planning on putting soft corals mostly assorted mushrooms and xenia and anthelia and adding a few featherdusters and tube worms for more color. The thiry gal. is almost cycled and I'm going to wait about a month before I add any corals. The planned inhabitants will be for sure a hawkfish and then I don't know. I have a damsel just one and two chromis's right now and they will be permanent residents in the tank. I plan also on getting a emerald crab. No shrimp because I read that hawkfish seem to consider them a tasty treat.