PDA

View Full Version : Looking for suggestions on tangs...

Rice Reef
08-14-2011, 04:20 AM
I am considering adding one more tang to my intended sps dominant reef tank but not certain what tang would be best for my tank... I had planned to pick up a Kole Tang today but was then informed that they will show a lot of aggression towards blennys. :doh: I am looking for a tang that is not selective when comes to grazing on algae but is also not aggressive to other algae grazing fish. Any suggestions? :question::question::question: I current have a regal and a yellow tang and I also have a big and fat lawnmower blenny with full of personality. I would hate to lose this fella but having just one more tang that enjoys doing some housekeeping in the tank would be great too!

Thanks!!! :confused::confused::confused:

cwatkins
08-14-2011, 04:52 AM
I love my Powder Brown tang (Acanthurus japonicus)!. His white face is so cute and he fit right in with my Yellow and Regal tangs.

I had to wait about 2+ months to get him from JL though as they don't always get them in when they order them. So I had to play the waiting game.

The Grizz
08-14-2011, 04:54 AM
I have a beautiful Lieutenant Tang (Acanthurus tennenti) that I got from a fellow reefer, it wasn't much of a grazer at first but boy it sure goes to town on it now. Gets along with all my other fish ( Blennies, goby's, wrasse's, Cromis & other tangs) hands down my favorite fish in my tank.

Aquattro
08-14-2011, 05:02 AM
Can anyone confirm a Kole would be aggressive with blennies? I've never heard that one before. A Kole would be a great grazer, and I think they're nice looking as well.

cuz
08-14-2011, 05:31 AM
Can anyone confirm a Kole would be aggressive with blennies? I've never heard that one before. A Kole would be a great grazer, and I think they're nice looking as well.

My Kole and Lawn mower do pester each other. But it's not in what I'd call a bad way. It's almost as if they play together, from what I've seen when the blenny's had enough he let's the kole know it!!

bkelly
08-14-2011, 06:17 AM
My kole terrorizes my lawnmower, the lawnmower has to get creative to get at its grazing , it hides mostly because of the kole. My kole isnt even that big, may just be him though.

Aquattro
08-14-2011, 06:27 AM
Weird. I've never owned both together, I'm surprised they even acknowledge each other.

fishytime
08-14-2011, 06:37 AM
most bristle tooth tangs seem to have a general dislike towards blennies and gobies......we had a chevron in the display tank at the old shop that hated the orange spot diamond goby that was in with him and my chevron used to take runs at my shrimp goby.....he doesnt do it now that I have a pair of shrimp gobies....strength in numbers I guess....

Starry
08-14-2011, 07:14 AM
My Kole tang and Tail spot blenny get along fine. Even hang out at the same end of the tank.

Mandosh
08-14-2011, 07:38 AM
I had a kole and a starry blenny that got along fine.

piusma
08-14-2011, 09:06 AM
I had a Kole tang that is very aggressive with feeding and chases pretty much EVERY fish in my tank. It also gets very aggressive with it's own reflection. I believe he was a full size adult and I had to remove him to restore the peace in my tank. My tank is a 180 gallon and it wants to keep it all to himself!
Steven

dsaundry
08-14-2011, 10:27 AM
I have a nice atlantic blue eyed tang, nice little fish, don't see them around much either.

notclear
08-14-2011, 11:23 AM
I have a lawnmower blenny, a yellow tang, a powder blue tang and a tomini tang in my tank. They all get along fine.

Rice Reef
08-15-2011, 07:23 AM
Thank you for sharing your experiences and thoughts... Guess I should re-consider about getting a Kole for now as I really do like my lawnmower blenny.

My Kole and Lawn mower do pester each other. But it's not in what I'd call a bad way. It's almost as if they play together, from what I've seen when the blenny's had enough he let's the kole know it!!

My kole terrorizes my lawnmower, the lawnmower has to get creative to get at its grazing , it hides mostly because of the kole. My kole isnt even that big, may just be him though.

My lawnmover blenny is at least 4" long... I made one mistake once and that was to have two lawnmover blennys. Only one survived :sad:. Will a small-med Kole still harrass a blenny that is bigger in size or will the blenny dominate a small/med Kole?

Rice Reef
08-15-2011, 07:31 AM
most bristle tooth tangs seem to have a general dislike towards blennies and gobies......we had a chevron in the display tank at the old shop that hated the orange spot diamond goby that was in with him and my chevron used to take runs at my shrimp goby.....he doesnt do it now that I have a pair of shrimp gobies....strength in numbers I guess....

I had a Tomini not long ago and seemed to have gotten along with my blennys but the blennys were only 2-3" long then. My lawnmover is now over 4" long and fat as ever... will the blenny take on and dominate any bristle tooth or vise versa?

My Kole tang and Tail spot blenny get along fine. Even hang out at the same end of the tank.

I had a kole and a starry blenny that got along fine.

Are other blennys just as good a grazer as a lawnmover? May consider making a blenny change in the future if I still want a Kole...

lastlight
08-15-2011, 08:23 AM
My Kole gets ****y if he spots any fish doing a grazing-like motion. He loves dive-bombing my diamond watchman but the watchman is too fast and is back to his thing in seconds. I'd say he's a bit of a jackass in general but doesn't chase... just likes to dart at some of the fish if I'm close to the tank (might feed it).

Gripenfelter
08-15-2011, 04:17 PM
Convict Tang or Clown Tang.

I'm getting both.

mark
08-15-2011, 04:45 PM
Got a Purple and Regal, neither one is interested in the lawnmower blenny.

parkinsn
08-15-2011, 05:26 PM
Convict Tang or Clown Tang.

I'm getting both.

At 15" and a recommended 250g or larger for a clown tang. The OP would have to have a large tank. As would you with your 4 tangs already. Of which, 2 of them will get to the 14" range.

Also the survival rate on a clown tang is quite low. And they are one of the most aggressive tangs.

Zoaelite
08-15-2011, 05:55 PM
Lets start with a tank size before we recommend half the ocean guys :razz:.

naesco
08-16-2011, 03:25 PM
ZoaElite is right

What is the length of your tank?
Thanks

Gripenfelter
08-17-2011, 02:47 AM
At 15" and a recommended 250g or larger for a clown tang. The OP would have to have a large tank. As would you with your 4 tangs already. Of which, 2 of them will get to the 14" range.

Also the survival rate on a clown tang is quite low. And they are one of the most aggressive tangs.

Yeah I'm upgrading to an 8 foot tank right away.

mayheim
08-17-2011, 03:06 AM
I also have a kole in with two blennies. everybody gets along just fine

mayheim
08-17-2011, 03:07 AM
Also have a kole that gets along fine with blennies in tank

MarkoD
08-26-2011, 08:34 PM
I have a regal tang, 2 yellow tangs, and a naso tang and they get alone fine.

It's my stupid coral beauty that's causing trouble. Picking on tangs 5 times his size

apexifd
08-27-2011, 12:53 AM
I love my Powder Brown tang (Acanthurus japonicus)!. His white face is so cute and he fit right in with my Yellow and Regal tangs.

I had to wait about 2+ months to get him from JL though as they don't always get them in when they order them. So I had to play the waiting game.

+1