PDA

View Full Version : Frag tank clean up crew recommendations?

bkelly
08-12-2011, 08:15 PM
My frag tank feeds off my sump return line from my main tank , then returns back to the main tank sump. I have 2 powerheads in it its about 20 gal and i have 150 watt MH lighting. Corals are up on egg crate, i put 2 clowns in there for now with my corals. The clowns were getting terrorized in my big tank so its kinda a refuge. The frag tanks newly set up , my main system is pretty clean of algae. i notice a bit of algae starting to grow on the frag tank crating and bottom. What can i put in there to help deal with it not getting out of hand? I threw in a couple hermit crabs to clean up any excess fish food...
I was thinking snails may start knocking my corals over. How about a tang (i got a kole i could trap) any other recommendations. for now i think its best i keep the clowns isolated there.
thanks
brent

lastlight
08-12-2011, 08:21 PM
I think the Kole's out due to the size of the tank. A blenny might munch on algae?

GMGQ
08-12-2011, 09:16 PM
I have an algae problem in my frag tank too. I think one of the problems is that the water isn't cycled through the sumo as fast as the display tank.

For you, it's also because you have the 2 clown fish adding to the bioload.

I've started running HC GFO and carbon, and that seems to have at least halted the algae from spreading.

I have a cleaner shrimp in there too, as they are faster at grabbing excess food than hermits, and can climb better.