PDA

View Full Version : leaky bulkhead question

smokinreefer
08-12-2011, 05:50 AM
hey,
the bulkhead for my overflow has a small leak.
is this typically salvageable? possible the bulk head just got loose? there was a bit of play on it.
can i just take it apart, clean it and refit it?
or should i just replace it?
any input is appreciated.
thanks

Aquattro
08-12-2011, 06:00 AM
If you can remove it without losing water, you should be able to clean it up and re-use it.

smokinreefer
08-12-2011, 07:07 AM
cool.
now whats the proper way of installing this thing?
this was the only bulk head i've ever used, and this was put in years ago, so my experience is practically nonexistent.
do i need a washer/gasket?
wrench tight?
got any tips for me?
thanks again!

trilinearmipmap
08-12-2011, 06:05 PM
First off I would buy a spare bulkhead so if anything happens during the replacement you will be OK.

What happens is if the bulkhead gets loose, then some sand/dirt inside the overflow will get between the o-ring and the glass, so the seal not intact.

You need to remove the bulkhead, then clear the glass inside the overflow around the hole for the bulkhead. Also clean the o-ring.

You don't need to use tools, hand-tight is OK.

Jason McK
08-12-2011, 06:08 PM
Usually bulkhead leak because they are over tight.

Gasket goes on the wet side and tighten finger tight
If this is on your 180 you might have to flush the bottom of the overflow to make sure there is no debris that would get between the gasket and the glass

J

lastlight
08-12-2011, 06:47 PM
Yeah I would drain the overflow and razor blade the area where the gasket seats. Then hand tight after washing the gasket clean.

smokinreefer
08-12-2011, 11:39 PM
awesome.
thanks for all the tips!

MarkoD
08-13-2011, 03:50 PM
put silicone between the seal and the bulk head screw.

when it dries you'll have more give to tighten the screw and it'll make a tighter seal