PDA

View Full Version : bugs ore not

KevinK
08-11-2011, 05:20 PM
how knows what this is,ore what is happening.

about 1/2 of my coral show a white rim on there base, and it appears like base growth is moving away / eaten away.

also my Monty cap shows some spots in the middle,

my yellow slimmer partly went brown (the picture is not the best, but you can se the left is not the same as the right)

would this be a bug, ? I removed several coral and went over it with a magnef. glass, and nothing there, and I have bin really, really precise on this.

could it also be chem. warfare between coral? and this is how thy react?

I have some mushrooms (not a lot) and one leather coral, about 30% is LPS and the rest SPS

most SPS are big frag size (3 to 4 inches) and have maybe 4 big colony’s of 5 to 8 inches

http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l533/kevink012/bugs/IMG_0121.jpg
http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l533/kevink012/bugs/IMG_0122.jpg
http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l533/kevink012/bugs/IMG_0128.jpg
http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l533/kevink012/bugs/IMG_0130.jpg
http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l533/kevink012/bugs/IMG_0131.jpg
http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l533/kevink012/bugs/IMG_0135.jpg

reefermadness
08-11-2011, 06:28 PM
Hmm....doesnt look like bugs...just not healthy.

KPG007
08-11-2011, 06:32 PM
From your pics, it could be warfare (corals too close together) and / or shading. I see a couple frags sitting in the shade of rocks.

Phanman
08-11-2011, 06:36 PM
what are your water parameters?

KevinK
08-11-2011, 09:22 PM
ok,

water par.

Cal. 500 (I know, I know,) I'm gust waiting to go down a bit, I made one batch of my bailing to strong

KH generally kept at a steady 8 to 8.5

mag: 1400 steady

phos:0
nitrate, nitrite, amonia all 0.00

so from water quallety point of vew, yes there have bin some swings the last 3 weeks in the KH and CAL. becouse I did mix the bailing wrong, and found out later

I did start with ZEOVIT, but this is sinds 10 days now, and I can only se improvements in mostly all coral (growth tips and PE)

the white base and discolloring is something that has started about 3 months ago.

Lights I know that the phoenix bulbs where 1 year last month (my LED unit should be running the upcomming 2 week, I have waited with the bulbs becouse of the LED's that go over it.

chem ware: I dont know, corals are far appart (it is a 350 gal tank !!) and only have a few mushrooms and a lether coral (and about 30% LPS)

BUGS:
as mentioned, I cant find any, and I have bin locking for a few weeks, even with a microscope nothing there

I did a Salifert Flatworm treatment on the entire tank about 4 weeks ago
(5 times in 15 days) as it has proven to kill a fair bit of bugs, and asI could not se anything, I did it gust in case there was, and I missed them.

furthermore there is ROX runnin (1.5 cup, of what I replace 1/2 cup each 2 weeks

water change I do each 2 weeks 40 gallon -- this on the opposit week of the carbon change

than there is 1.5 cup of GFO that I change each month

overall

as there have bin some slight changes, lights are on there replacment, water par. swings I think it is gust that the corals ar not 100% happy, but wanted to se if there is somone that could se potential bugs that I have missed.

so more ore less if no one sees simptoms of bugs, it must be the overall things that happened, if thy think thy se damage from a bug, than I can lock spesiffic for it.

as mentioned, I do se lots of posetive things happening with the zeo I ad

Zoaelite
08-11-2011, 09:32 PM
I had something similar happen to all my SPS and I found it to be a combo of CA/ALK swings paired with my biopellets. Doug (Fishytime) did a really good job of explaining it, can't quite remember but I removed my pellets and have never looked back. I know your not running pellets but CA/ALK swings leading to pH swings can wreck some major havoc.

The problem with STN is once it starts and the coral is immuno-compromised it's a very slippery slope towards death. I would personally frag all the dying coral and frag epoxy your tank with some new frags.

reefermadness
08-12-2011, 01:03 AM
Unfortunately zoaelite is right.....once STN starts, in most cases it just gets worse. Fragging the healthiest parts off is usually the best course of action. Of course if its not too bad and you correct what ever caused the situation...than it may be worth it to wait on those to see of they get better.

fishytime
08-12-2011, 04:32 PM
Wish I could remember what I said:redface:...... Here's something to consider..... How big is this leather that you have?.... Do you run carbon?..... In the four years I've been with Red Coral I've started to notice that tanks with leathers seem to give SPS trouble.....for most SPS stability is key.... Could just be issues related to the swing in your parameters....

KevinK
08-12-2011, 07:11 PM
thelether is about 6 inches in the middle of the tank. total water vol. = about 400 gal.

I run rox as mentioned so think as well that is is the swing,

remembering, I last year had a shock where I tossed in 4 gallongs of stock solution of KH, making my tank a desert of fall down calcium.

this was about February I think, and with the swing this time I think this is where my proublem is,

I put a calendar op in my fish room, writhing each thing I do and what I mesure.

I will se if I can do some more fragging, and in this case I'm not going to risk making big frags, better 30 frags of 1/2 inch, than 5 of 3 inch and than the RTD takes them.

I did once a test to se how much you need to still be able to frag, and it was afew slises I made with a nife, and thy where 1/4 ore 1/5 of a inch, and still grew out to nice frags / coral.

meaning that in this case I might first frag only the tips of the coral, and than make frags of the base of the coral, if the base frags dont make it, I might have at least healthy tip frags.

paddyob
08-12-2011, 08:07 PM
Hows the temperature.

The summer weather raised my tank to 84F and I lost a couple corals recently. SPS and Zoas.