PDA

View Full Version : New To Edmonton

slivermaster08
08-11-2011, 06:16 AM
Just thought I'd introduce myself here. Moved to Edmonton about a month ago and had to leave all my fresh water tanks with my girlfriend in Vancouver. I am starting to shop around for tanks, stands, and lights to now get into the hobby when I move into a new place at the end of this year. I'm hoping the transition from fresh water to salt will but smooth but I doubt it will be... so I'm going to be reading lots on the forums and checking out the last few shops in town I haven't visited (I'm not avoiding you Red Coral, I promise!)

I was asking around for what good places there are to rent here in Edmonton because I'm hoping to find a better area and apartment (landlady is sketchy and the apartment is not well maintained). Does anyone know demographically where some of the better areas are to live and avoid? I remember Lyndsy at Blue World recommended the Ellerslie area so I'm definately going to be taking a look down there but if anyone else has suggestions I'd be more than happy to take a look at where they recommend! I'm trying to find somewhere I can meet some people and be social instead of hermit away with the fish and coral. Ideally I would love to live in an with a younger crowd around my age (25ish and starting a career) but I'm not going to be that picky.

I'll be posting on here more and I'm sure I'll get to know some of the Edmonton users probably through getting frags, equipment and live rock!

Cheers

Vitaminz
08-11-2011, 02:44 PM
Welcome to Edmonton! Clareview is not a bad area to live in, IMO. Once you move over to the SALT side, you will never go back to the fresh water. There is quite a bit of learning to do, and it will never end...But the people in this community are awesome for answering questions and helping out. And of course there is no shortage of salt water stores in Edmonton, I suggest you do a tour of all the stores. I am sure we can get some people together and set-up a group tour of all the stores. Also coming up really soon, Blue World is hosting Fragfest!

Jeff

mark
08-11-2011, 07:18 PM
once you short list some neighborhoods the police service has stats map for crime.

http://crimemapping.edmontonpolice.ca/

HaZRaTTy
08-11-2011, 07:48 PM
Hey,

First of all Welcome to STAB-Minton (Edmonton) It's super tough trying to find a good place to live as there are SO many sketchy apartments and landlords and not even to mention bed bugs bleh!

I work for Edmonton EMS so as you can imagine I get to venture into these garbage caves everday!! Lucky me!!

I'm going to have to disagree with Jeff, Clarview might not be the crowd you're looking for and there is ALOT of crime. Don't get me wrong there is quite a few good neighbors up in the northeast but they are few and far between.

Ellerslie is a great neighborhood, along with Windermere and Ambleside. They are all new if you don't mind the construction and dust and being WAY WAY down south!! It's about a 20-25 minute drive into the city center in the morning through traffic.

I would also look at places in St Albert also very safe yet a little more expensive place to live. That's also about a 20-25 minute drive in traffic to the center of Edmonton. I currently live in St Albert and I have had no problems ever. It's like living in Edmonton but not in Edmonton. Everything you need is in St Albert and you would rarely need to venture into the city ;)

If you are a partier and like the loud and being close to Whyte ave their is very cheap apartments, Their is also quite nice new ones people are renting but again you pay the price.

I would stay far away from anything on 107ave 112ave 118ave and North East.

Anyways man I'm sure you will meet a few good characters around the city. I found when I moved to the city the hardest thing was to continue playing organized sports finding a team is SUPER hard. Especially a good team haha. So if you are player and need a team shoot me a PM and I can help you out on where to look and where I had luck.

Good Luck,

Jordan

RedCoralEdmonton
08-15-2011, 04:50 AM
also Sherwood park, so easy to get anywhere in town, and pretty much the entire place is safe...

Steve

Kevotron
08-15-2011, 06:27 AM
I highly recommend the southwest, ie twinbrooks, terwillegar, rutherford the list goes on.. nice quiet communities and close to everything ! including the fish stores !!! :D

bignose
08-16-2011, 12:29 AM
Welcome to Edmonton!

I think most of the violence here is targeted. Don't listen to everything you hear/read I live on 118th ave NE or the "bad area" and I leave my doors unlocked and open most of the time. I also have the best neighbors I have ever had.

Anyways welcome the reefing community we will probably meet sometime or another.

RedCoralEdmonton
08-16-2011, 01:44 AM
bignose is right, i agree the NE isnt the safest but its not nearly as bad as the southside people think.... i grew upon the NE and never had a problem....

Steve

reef-keeper
08-16-2011, 06:27 PM
I live in Newton Community near Beverly and I also have no real problems in the neighborhood.

slivermaster08
08-18-2011, 03:49 AM
Thanks for the insight everyone, I'll be sure to look at all the outlying areas too. Having had to head out of town to a few sites it sure is nice to know that it's not an hour long drive out there like it is in Vancouver! I'm hoping to meet some of you guys at the frag exchange next month.

ALang
08-18-2011, 01:36 PM
Welcome to Edmonton!
Blue World will be hosting a Frag Meet Sept 11. You will meet a whole bunch of us reefers and salties there. Come early and mingle, and maybe pick up some items/equipment cheap to help start your SW tank. BBQ is free and we are all very friendly and nice.

Then we also have a group of us meet very informally every month to talk reef and eat breakfast/lunch. That's a great way of meeting people too.

Be sure to put on your name tag and say hi.
Would love to meet you.
Good luck with apartment hunting.
I second what Steve said about Sherwood Park. Love it here. BUT don't bother with the fish store here, go into Edmonton, instead.
Lenny.

Kevotron
08-19-2011, 03:46 AM
Welcome to Edmonton!
Blue World will be hosting a Frag Meet Sept 11. You will meet a whole bunch of us reefers and salties there. Come early and mingle, and maybe pick up some items/equipment cheap to help start your SW tank. BBQ is free and we are all very friendly and nice.

Then we also have a group of us meet very informally every month to talk reef and eat breakfast/lunch. That's a great way of meeting people too.

Be sure to put on your name tag and say hi.
Would love to meet you.
Good luck with apartment hunting.
I second what Steve said about Sherwood Park. Love it here. BUT don't bother with the fish store here, go into Edmonton, instead.
Lenny.

Funny you say that, I was just in sherwood park for work last week and had some "free time" so i went and checked out the pet store there.... noticed they finally had a salt water section albeit a small one, looked at what was in there found some brownish red mushrooms peered over @ the pricetag and it was 200+ $ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ya I definitely agree with Lenny, goto Edm for your fish needs if you do decide to live in the Park

StirCrazy
08-19-2011, 06:03 AM
I grew up in duggan, still looks relitivly calm there. would I move back to edmonton... nope outlying area maybe but in reality alberta is much to cold for me now.. almost froze my %$&(s off when I was there in Jan.

Steve

Felix
08-21-2011, 02:39 AM
Hi Welcome to Edmonton, Steve at Red Coral is correct Sherwood Park is great lower taxes that Edmonton or St Albert. An excellent sports community and superb Transit links to Edmonton.
Not that we are biased but a couple of us live in the park.

Make sure you come to the Reefer meeting, we are friendly and most dob't bite lol.

Felix