PDA

View Full Version : Flatworms won't die!

Koresample
08-11-2011, 03:15 AM
Thanks to all for the help with the pest identification...I went to J&L and got the Salifert Flatworm exit and some carbon. I siphoned as many as i could firstly (use a turkey baster to blast all the nooks and crannies as well). I put in the recommended dose plus an extra drop or so, waited about 45 minutes and they started dropping like flies. I siphoned out as many of the dead ones, did a water change and then added the carbon to the overflow. I waited a couple of days and noticed that there were still about 20% of them left, so i did the same thing (same dose) but no water change this time. That was yesterday and today there are still about 50% of the remaining ones left.

Do I just keep repeating this every couple of days or do I need to take another step of some kind? :sad:

Norstar
08-11-2011, 03:31 AM
I always overdose by 1/3. That works for me but it may not work for everybody. Turn off your sump and put the Salifert in. Make sure you still have some circulation in the tank. It should do it.

arash53
08-11-2011, 03:35 AM
I tried Flatworm exit didn't work for me, then I bought a Red Scooter Blenny from J&L he eat them all in a week!

ScubaSteve
08-11-2011, 04:50 AM
Don't bother with FWE, does more harm than good in my opinion except in extreme cases. Get a scooter, mandarin, wrasse or velvet nudibranch. They'll be gone in no time.

lorenz0
08-11-2011, 05:45 AM
When did you do your water change?

Wait till you have completed a week of dosing FWE, also take your carbon out during this time. Run carbon after your first water change.

I disagree with the above comment. I wasted $60 on nudibranchs only to enjoy them for a few hours. There are a few wrasses (melanurus) that actually eat them but it is sometimes a hit and miss.

It didn't have an impact on my tank, my sps colors are still bright and my growth hasn't slowed down.

Koresample
08-11-2011, 06:18 AM
did the water change about 30 minutes after dosing, then put the carbon in right after per the instructions with the salifert. I took the carbon ot for the second dose for about 45 minutes, then put it back in. Should I dose once more in a couple of days and leave the carbon out for a week?

When did you do your water change?

Wait till you have completed a week of dosing FWE, also take your carbon out during this time. Run carbon after your first water change.

I disagree with the above comment. I wasted $60 on nudibranchs only to enjoy them for a few hours. There are a few wrasses (melanurus) that actually eat them but it is sometimes a hit and miss.

It didn't have an impact on my tank, my sps colors are still bright and my growth hasn't slowed down.

JohnnyReeftank
08-11-2011, 10:25 PM
I had the exact same problem....bought a 6-Line Wrasse for $10 and he began eating them within 10 seconds of being in the tank....he never ate any food off of me for 4 months but decimated nearly every little critter in my tank including every last flatworm.

Frenchie2
08-11-2011, 11:22 PM
6-line wrasse & yellow coris wrasse did wonders for my tank!

Barrie
08-13-2011, 02:36 AM
Yellow corris wrasse worked wonders for us too.

mseepman
08-13-2011, 05:53 AM
I have your exact problem. I regularly siphon out hundreds of the little bastards...but to no avail. fWE has worked in the past to really cut them down...but never beat them. Bought a yellow coris...he looked at them and did nothing. Not sure what to do these days.