PDA

View Full Version : Ich or worse?

Magma
08-11-2011, 02:44 AM
So yesterday I noticed my clowns had some small white spots on them, no bigger than pin heads and all over there body. I figured it was marine ich so I made up a large bucket of SW so I could start treatment in my QT right away.

Today I come home and one clown is dead, worms have eaten almost half of him and the other one is acting like its having a hard time breathing and also looks like his scales are falling off in large patches..

I noticed the Royal Gramma in the tank is acting very odd staying in the middle of the tank hugging a rock and he to his having a hard time breathing. I do my water changes once a week about 10-15%, I check all levels and they are within normal, temp is fine. But I did have a big outbreak of hair algae over the past few weeks (tank is right in front of a large window and gets the sun for 6 hours a day).

Does this sound like Ich or something else?

Tracey2
08-11-2011, 03:09 AM
Could be velvet if you are loosing them that quick, have you added anything new to your tank lately?

Magma
08-11-2011, 03:29 AM
nothing new has been added since before Xmas, only changes I have made is I started to feed sinking pellets along on opposite days from when I feed mysis shrimp

mark
08-11-2011, 04:17 AM
sorry to hear

could be ich maybe Brooklynella (http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_6/volume_6_1/brooklynella.htm)?

Magma
08-11-2011, 04:19 AM
that looks exactly like it!

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_6/volume_6_1/images/Brooklynellosis/brook_01.jpg
fish looked like this yesterday

Thanks for the reply :D

Reefie
08-11-2011, 09:22 AM
I went through 4 clowns with brooklynella, all of them were true percs. I got sick of replacing them once a week, so I tried out a pair of false percs instead. I find them a bit more hardy.

Magma
08-19-2011, 10:08 PM
so its been a weekish since I noticed this...the tank well had horrible losses. I moved out the clown ASAP and got him into the QT tank. I went out and got some meds the next day after work but when I came home hes gone..along with the gramma, mandrain and a chromis. But I still have one happy little chromis in the tank :(

Inverts are doing ok it looks like the corals are doing great done a water change every few days now and the last fish seems to be doing ok. I think I will end up shuting this tank down in a few weeks and moving the live rock into a bin and the corals into my other tank. Hopefully reuse some of the LR in the sump of the other tank once I find more info on brooklynella and if it stays on the rock once the fish are gone.

daniella3d
08-19-2011, 10:41 PM
Ick can kill that fast if the gills are totaly infested...and juging from the fact that your fish had those dots all over its body, the gills must have been very much infected.

I don't know why people think that ick cannot kill fish fast, or can be cure with just garlic and etc oil snake. It does not go away on its own and if it get very strong and multiply to this level, it will kill your fish by suffocating them. Try to lower the temperature and maybe add a little bit of oxygen to help. YOu need to act fast, not sure there is still time.

So yesterday I noticed my clowns had some small white spots on them, no bigger than pin heads and all over there body. I figured it was marine ich so I made up a large bucket of SW so I could start treatment in my QT right away.

Today I come home and one clown is dead, worms have eaten almost half of him and the other one is acting like its having a hard time breathing and also looks like his scales are falling off in large patches..

I noticed the Royal Gramma in the tank is acting very odd staying in the middle of the tank hugging a rock and he to his having a hard time breathing. I do my water changes once a week about 10-15%, I check all levels and they are within normal, temp is fine. But I did have a big outbreak of hair algae over the past few weeks (tank is right in front of a large window and gets the sun for 6 hours a day).

Does this sound like Ich or something else?

Magma
08-20-2011, 04:44 AM
read above post i found it to be brooklynella not ich and i had treatment as soon as possible for them but it was to late.

Myka
08-20-2011, 05:33 AM
I have treated Brookynella quite a few times. The only treatment I have found to be reliable is formalin baths.

MMAX
08-20-2011, 11:46 AM
Ick can kill that fast if the gills are totaly infested...and juging from the fact that your fish had those dots all over its body, the gills must have been very much infected.

I don't know why people think that ick cannot kill fish fast, or can be cure with just garlic and etc oil snake. It does not go away on its own and if it get very strong and multiply to this level, it will kill your fish by suffocating them. Try to lower the temperature and maybe add a little bit of oxygen to help. YOu need to act fast, not sure there is still time.

What's oil snake?

Magma
08-20-2011, 09:30 PM
I have treated Brookynella quite a few times. The only treatment I have found to be reliable is formalin baths.

that was what I picked up, having seen it before in your tanks do you know if it sticks on the rocks like ich does or once the hosts are dead its dead?

George
08-20-2011, 09:58 PM
Brooklynella can live without a host for up to 4 weeks. Suggest to leave a brook infested tank fallow for 4 weeks and more.

Magma
08-20-2011, 10:03 PM
what about inverts? I have some cleaner shrimp and a few crabs in there right now thats all...oh and coral

daniella3d
08-21-2011, 05:38 AM
wow that kill fast, sorry about your fish. So many diseases and at least 2 that can kill in a day or 2, brook and velvet, 2 good reasons to quarantine.

snake oil...can't beleive you did not get that.

What's oil snake?

Myka
08-21-2011, 07:11 PM
that was what I picked up, having seen it before in your tanks do you know if it sticks on the rocks like ich does or once the hosts are dead its dead?

It has to be treated like Ich, 4-6 weeks fallow.

However, I have had success catching fish, giving them the formalin bath and returning them back to the same tank. I wouldn't recommend it, but sometimes a person doesn't have much choice. Having to re-treat with formalin would be hard on the fish as formalin is bad stuff. Brook is nasty simply because of the nasty treatment you have to use to get rid of it.