PDA

View Full Version : "Tanked" on Animal Planet

atc
08-11-2011, 01:41 AM
Does anyone know if this show is on in Canada?

http://animal.discovery.com/tv/tanked/

PoonTang
08-11-2011, 02:52 AM
Sweet. Wish I had that channel. :(

fishoholic
08-11-2011, 02:52 AM
I just ordered animal planet through Bell so I certainly hope so since that's why I ordered it. Won't know for sure until tomorrow cause my pvr only goes up to Aug 18

kien
08-11-2011, 04:22 AM
just what i need, a TV show to make me feel bad about my tank :lol:

atc
08-11-2011, 04:54 AM
I have shaw but I don't see it on the guide.

Reefie
08-11-2011, 08:59 AM
Saw this on BCAquaria:

A couple of things:

- this series will be airing on the Animal Planet channel ( ch. 134 on SHAW in Vancouver ) and not on Discovery.

- here is the website for the show which includes a promo video: Tanked : Animal Planet

viperfish
08-11-2011, 07:55 PM
I have Telus TV, Animal Planet is channel 525. I'm really looking forward to this show for the cool tank builds. I could do without the whole "Orange County Choppers does Fish Tanks" plot but I guess the drama side of it gets the ratings.

MarkoD
08-11-2011, 08:08 PM
you all should get Telus TV.... it shows guide up to 2 weeks ahead.

plus 1 pvr serves your whole house.....

... do it, do it

anyone that has telus tv, pm me and ill give you a free month of animal planet

arash53
08-11-2011, 08:33 PM
Deleted

axe_man16
08-11-2011, 08:35 PM
I looked this up a few days ago and found out that Animal planet in Canada is not the same as the one in the States. If you do a search for "Tanked" on Animal planet Canada you will not get any results. Hopefully you will be able to stream the show on the internet. I also did a search on our satelite for next week and it did not show up any where on the Animal Planet channel.

viperfish
08-11-2011, 09:28 PM
I just checked my guide up to the 20th and no "Tanked". I'll be ****ed if they screw us Canadians out of this one!

Coleus
08-11-2011, 09:36 PM
It looks like an awesome show but bu I don't want to watch this show because then i don't want to look at my tank any more :-(

fishoholic
08-11-2011, 09:45 PM
I looked this up a few days ago and found out that Animal planet in Canada is not the same as the one in the States. If you do a search for "Tanked" on Animal planet Canada you will not get any results. Hopefully you will be able to stream the show on the internet. I also did a search on our satelite for next week and it did not show up any where on the Animal Planet channel.

:doh: :mmph: and I just ordered that chanel so I could watch it :pout: That's going to suck if it doesn't run in Canada :twised:

arash53
08-11-2011, 09:50 PM
if it dosent , it is available for download somewhere

viperfish
08-11-2011, 11:26 PM
Discovery, TLC, and Animal Planet are all part of the same network. Hopefully one of them will air the show in Canada. If they can do a show (or three) about picking out a wedding dress, they should be able to do a show on tank builds!

mark
08-12-2011, 01:09 AM
if it dosent , it is available for download somewhere
been looking on btjunkie.org and can't see

Bloodasp
08-12-2011, 01:58 AM
It hasn't been shown yet. You definitely won't find it yet.

paddyob
08-12-2011, 04:58 AM
Nice.

JohnnyReeftank
08-12-2011, 05:34 PM
Premieres Aug 19th

Coleus
08-17-2011, 08:39 PM
well i just torrent the first episode and finished watched it. I envy them, i wish my life and work would be doing what they are doing.

lastlight
08-17-2011, 08:45 PM
On it's way right now (pilot). Can't wait to see it...

fishytime
08-17-2011, 09:27 PM
What where when???

daniella3d
08-18-2011, 12:23 AM
I don't think we'll miss much. What to expect from 2 guys that recommande these fish as the first choice for home aquaria?

Clownfish (ok)
Blue hippo tang and a bounch of them to top it
trigger fish!
damsel....who wants damsel??!!
and finaly sharks!!

this list sound idiotic at best...

And they recommand all these fish without even the slightest note about aquarium size or community! really dumb.

Coleus
08-18-2011, 12:36 AM
yes, it is true that these guys don't know much about how to care for fishes. They only build tank so you got to see some cool tank design.

RedCoralEdmonton
08-18-2011, 12:47 AM
I have only watched the preview online, but doesnt it say they have had an aquarium store for 15 years? Im sure they have an idea on how to care for fish....

Steve

viperfish
08-18-2011, 02:03 AM
I don't think we'll miss much. What to expect from 2 guys that recommande these fish as the first choice for home aquaria?

Clownfish (ok)
Blue hippo tang and a bounch of them to top it
trigger fish!
damsel....who wants damsel??!!
and finaly sharks!!

this list sound idiotic at best...

And they recommand all these fish without even the slightest note about aquarium size or community! really dumb.

Maybe they should make a Daniella3d show so you can have your opinion broadcast! Really, these guys are catering to a broad audience, and the fish they recommended are all cool (even Damsels). If this show catches on, it could give this hobby quite a boost so don't be so quick to knock 'em.

lastlight
08-18-2011, 02:18 AM
ATM builds some massive tanks. Didn't know they had a fish store as well.

I skimmed 5 min of the show... too much drama for me I didn't really like it.

mattdean
08-18-2011, 03:06 AM
I watched the first episode. It was entertaining. I was a little confused about the fish selection for the tanks. That, and they filled the tank with water and dumped the fish in. However, there doesn't seem to be any live rock or corals. Everything was synthetic, so I guess it's not as much an issue, as long as the filtration was adequate.

Regardless, the tanks were sick. Just hope the fish aren't too!

RedCoralEdmonton
08-18-2011, 05:38 AM
Just watched the pilot, I liked the show, neat to see how they do things without live rock, as well its nice to know I picked the right tang for my display at the store, every second fish shot seemed to be a Desjardin Sailfin Tang... lol

Steve

MarkoD
08-18-2011, 12:08 PM
Watched the show too. Seemed cool. But some of the tanks in those people's houses are crazy.... And so spotless. It's like they were all setup yesterday

arash53
08-22-2011, 10:43 PM
Tanked review by Scott Fellman :

“Tanked” – A Dose Of Reality That Doesn’t Hold Water (http://reefbuilders.com/2011/08/21/tanked-hold-water/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+reefbuilders%2FCTjt+%28Reef+B uilders%29)

Like many hobbyists, I decided to check out the Animal Planet reality series, “Tanked” last night. Rather than getting caught up in the negative “pre-smack talk” about the show, I decided to actually watch it before rendering an opinion. So, …Okay, well, where do I begin? First, as a hardcore reef hobbyist, I knew that the show had to be a bit “dumbed down” for the non-hobbyist masses. I overlooked that. I knew that many of the details of what the guys do each day would be glossed over because it probably doesn’t making compelling television to watch guys perform a pH test. I overlooked that. I knew that wacky antics and lots of yelling and reality-show absurdity would be included to provide entertainment value. The “stars” of the show already have their own GEICO ad. I overlooked that.

Let’s face it. Wayde King and Brett Raymer of ATM are incredibly talented individuals that have built a great business giving their clientele the aquariums of their dreams. Bravo to these guys! They get their livestock from my man, Justin Credible, which is a big plus! They produce aquarium displays that are unique, well-built, and perfect for their customers (I mean, not everyone wants an aquarium in a telephone booth…). Sure, most of these aquariums would leave a serious hobbyist scratching their heads, but I don’t think that we’re their target market.

What disturbed me was not anything that I saw the guys do (okay, provoking a puffer fish or lifting a tang out of the water is lame- I don’t care who you are). It was what they did NOT appear to do. It’s the way their work was portrayed by the producers and editors. When the show portrays a complicated tank build being done in what appears to be a matter of hours, and then being filled with tap water, salt mix and…in one instance, ice cubes , then stocked to the max with crazy assortment of fishes right away, I have to wonder. Were the producers trying to raise the blood pressure for every serious aquarium hobbyist in the world?

The impression that this portrayal of the aquarium world leaves on the general public or the inexperienced hobbyist is that you can have an “instant aquarium”, filled with a large population of fishes right from day one. Fish are fun and easy! Nitrogen cycle? What nitrogen cycle? The guys’ concern that “the fishes can only be in the bags another few hours” while installing a very expensive aquarium only begs the question as to why in the hell anyone would bring out the fishes before the aquarium build was completed in the first place?

What responsible aquarist fills an aquarium with tap water, mixes the salt, then throws the fishes right in? Yikes! I’d love to see the stats on how many of those fishes actually made it through the first week. This “practice” is even more amazing when you think about these systems having very little in the way of visible biological support (no live rock or live sand).

Although I commend the guys for indulging a client and building a (permanent) quarantine system, I can’t help but think that this installation was just to give the wealthy client another big group of fishes to look at. So little time was spent explaining the design or merits of a quarantine system or process that it just felt “unclean” to me.

Okay, let’s face it- a lot of the things we hardcore hobbyists do are probably not all that interesting to the rest of the world… Tweaking calcium reactors and playing with our electronic controllers…Maybe we’d make for dull television. However, portraying aquariums as eye-popping wonders requiring no understanding or patience on the part of the consumer is just not responsible. As an aquarium professional, the hardest thing for me to reconcile is my own values versus the clients’ perception of the aquarium as a piece of “kinetic art”. This show did little to dispel that thinking, unfortunately.

So, to summarize. Really talented aquarium fabricators. Annoying clients. Staged hilarity and hijinx. Little emphesis on technique. Producers and editors portrayed the guys as a bit too much into “the big idea” and not enough into the art of aquaristics. Missed opportunities. “Tanked”, ahem- tanked.

On the plus side- I learned that Goldfish have no stomach!

Best part- Justin! Hope they let him say more. In addition to having the coolest hair, he’s the most talented person on the show. Hell- give Justin his own show!

I’m outta here. The next episode of “Animal Hoarders” is on now, followed by “Hillbilly Hand Fishing” and “American Chopper”. Where are the chips and dip?

Until next time…

Stay Wet

Scott Fellman

facebook.com/scott.fellman

RedCoralEdmonton
08-22-2011, 11:54 PM
One thing to remember is this was only the pilot episode, so things may change drastically once the show takes off.... basically im saying is they only had one hour to show as much as they could to try and get picked up....

Now do I think they are going to change and get all technical.... no.... do I think they may show a little more into the set-ups.... probably....

Just my 2 cents...

Steve

fishoholic
08-23-2011, 12:32 AM
I have to say I agree with Scott Fellman. It was entertaining but definitely fell short with the reality of the work involved to make a saltwater tank work.

Lampshade
08-23-2011, 12:52 AM
It was ok, little more OCC than i'd like, but that's what sells. Seemed like a lot of air time to show very little. There was 15min+ of them putting a cover over a pole. tanks where cool, with they showed more tanks rather than QT setups they're building. the small glimpse of the people 3+ tanks in their house would have been nice to see more.

Anyways, for those who didn't pvr it etc, it's available on torrent sites.... But don't DL those, it's against copyright laws... just saying it's there.

fishytime
08-23-2011, 01:35 AM
I didnt think it was too bad.....like Steve said......if the producers showed more of the technical side of the hobby, the show would end up on access TV.....it somewhat needs to be OCC like to hold the general public's interest....for all we know that QT build could have taken weeks......they never did reveal a timeline for that build and in one of the monologues they said that most builds have a 4-6 week timeline......the only part that bothered me was the way they handled some of the fish when they were shopping for them.....I for one think it cant be too bad a thing to wake up the masses to our great hobby

daniella3d
08-23-2011, 03:40 AM
Another dumb post. YOu must be totally clueless about these fish to post such message. Yeah they are cool fish, so buy one for your 30 gallons tank. NO wait a minute, why not buy a school of tiny blue hippo and put that in your 30 gallons tank? still clueless?

Maybe they should make a Daniella3d show so you can have your opinion broadcast! Really, these guys are catering to a broad audience, and the fish they recommended are all cool (even Damsels). If this show catches on, it could give this hobby quite a boost so don't be so quick to knock 'em.

MarkoD
08-23-2011, 04:21 AM
Another dumb post. YOu must be totally clueless about these fish to post such message. Yeah they are cool fish, so buy one for your 30 gallons tank. NO wait a minute, why not buy a school of tiny blue hippo and put that in your 30 gallons tank? still clueless?

wtf are you even talking about? if this guy wants to keep a a thousand damsels in his backyard pool, thats his choice. who made you the genius that determines what fish are good or not?

the reason they probably put damsels in these tanks is cause the customer doesn't know anything about maintaining the tank and damsels are hardy as fu ck. so they dont have to worry about them dying all the time.

daniella3d
08-23-2011, 10:31 PM
damsels? can you read?? you are surely no genious because I was not talking about damsels, but a school of blue hippo. Hello??

How about how hardy blue hippo are??? genious??? yeah right, genious! They are not called ick magent for no reason...genious...

wtf are you even talking about? if this guy wants to keep a a thousand damsels in his backyard pool, thats his choice. who made you the genius that determines what fish are good or not?

the reason they probably put damsels in these tanks is cause the customer doesn't know anything about maintaining the tank and damsels are hardy as fu ck. so they dont have to worry about them dying all the time.

MarkoD
08-23-2011, 10:34 PM
damsels? can you read?? you are surely no genious because I was not talking about damsels, but a school of blue hippo. Hello??

How about how hardy blue hippo are??? genious??? yeah right, genious! They are not called ick magent for no reason...genious...

Your original post said "who wants damsels"

lastlight
08-23-2011, 10:42 PM
http://www.muditajournal.com/wp-content/uploads/arguing-on-internet.png

daniella3d
08-23-2011, 11:00 PM
Maybe you should quote the right post then, genious.

Yeah, who wants damsels??? do you have any? I don't and I don't want them. They most often end up in people sump because they can be aggressive, that's all. I rescued 2 of them already, but no more. One of them even attacked my arms when I was doing maintenance!

I just watched your photography site...oh my...burned out white, flares, busy foreground and background, backlit without fill in. oh my. That's an opinion you see...just like the question "who wants damsels" was just plain that...just a question.

Your original post said "who wants damsels"

Parker
08-23-2011, 11:04 PM
.:pop2:

MarkoD
08-23-2011, 11:05 PM
Maybe you should quote the right post then, genious.

Yeah, who wants damsels??? do you have any? I don't and I don't want them. They most often end up in people sump because they can be aggressive, that's all. I rescued 2 of them already, but no more. One of them even attacked my arms when I was doing maintenance!

I just watched your photography site...oh my...burned out white, flares, busy foreground and background, backlit without fill in. oh my. That's an opinion you see...just like the question "who wants damsels" was just plain that...just a question.

maybe you should learn to spell, genius

you just bashed this guy for his opinion. /\/\

is it cuz you're french or just retarded?

kien
08-23-2011, 11:13 PM
Jumpin Jesus on a pogostick! You are both wrong. I'm the genius.

kien
08-23-2011, 11:15 PM
PS. I haven't watched the show yet, is it any good??

Canuckgod420
08-23-2011, 11:15 PM
taking bets on how quick this thread gets closed.....lol

MarkoD
08-23-2011, 11:16 PM
Jumpin Jesus on a pogostick! You are both wrong. I'm the genius.

obviously. 2000+ posts and the correct spelling of the word genius entitle you to it.

not bashing other peoples opinion then meowing when someone bashes yours

Paigee
08-23-2011, 11:17 PM
Interesting thread progression from talking about a TV show to a bash fest...

kien
08-23-2011, 11:21 PM
Interesting thread progression from talking about a TV show to a bash fest...

http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af144/muzanji/thread_derail.jpg

sphelps
08-23-2011, 11:40 PM
:lol: ^ Funniest thing I've seen in a while

I thought the show was decent, just remember it's TV not real life so just like every other reality TV show don't take it so seriously. I do however wish they showed a little more build detail, the star of the show went from a rusted old milk truck to a crazy tank over a commercial break. And yes it's exactly like OCC, there's a Senior, Junior and even a Mikey. It's almost like they tried really hard to create the exact same drama. Regardless I subscribed and will watch again.

fishytime
08-23-2011, 11:44 PM
Kien.....I thought it was worth watching again......dont watch it thinking your gonna learn something (maybe we will, who knows).....watch it for the cool tanks

we need to remember that the producers can edit the show in whatever way they see fit, which can make things appear to progress fast......I dont think the company got to be one of the largest custom tank manufacturers in the US by being a bunch of fish killers, as they are being criticized by the reefing community for

daniella3d
08-24-2011, 12:19 AM
Yes I am french...and I wrote genious because I simply could not call you genius, since you're not.

AS for the bashing, I was not the one who started it and I originaly simply posted my opinion on their choice of fish. Anyone with some common sense would realize it is not the best top fish list, especialy the school of hippo and the shark.

As for the damsels, go buy some for yourself, enjoy.

maybe you should learn to spell, genius

you just bashed this guy for his opinion. /\/\

is it cuz you're french or just retarded?

kien
08-24-2011, 12:28 AM
Kien.....I thought it was worth watching again......dont watch it thinking your gonna learn something (maybe we will, who knows).....watch it for the cool tanks

we need to remember that the producers can edit the show in whatever way they see fit, which can make things appear to progress fast......I dont think the company got to be one of the largest custom tank manufacturers in the US by being a bunch of fish killers, as they are being criticized by the reefing community for

I'll have to check it out. Wasn't sure if it was worth my time. One thing I've learned from so called "reality tv" shows is that they are far from reality. As Brett said they tend to cake on the drama for entertainment value. I'm not really into that kinda drama. I get enough drama from FaceBook! Ya you know what I'm talking about mister !!!

Madreefer
08-24-2011, 01:47 AM
Does anyone know when this show airs next? I couldnt find it in the program guide.

arash53
08-24-2011, 02:07 AM
1 Brett Takes a Dive 2011-08-12
2 Swimming with the Sharks 2011-08-19
3 Rules of Engagement 2011-08-26

sphelps
08-24-2011, 02:16 AM
Does anyone know when this show airs next? I couldnt find it in the program guide.
I have episode 2 so it already aired.

fishoholic
08-24-2011, 02:26 AM

http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af144/muzanji/thread_derail.jpg

:pound: I have to say I'm enjoying this threads entertainment value :mrgreen:

FYI daniella3d in a lot of your posts (not just this thread) you come off sounding like an incompetent know it all. I believe it rubs people the wrong way and people are starting to call you out on it.

jorjef
08-24-2011, 02:43 AM
That was the most entertaining ten minutes of trash talking I've read it quite some time....

viperfish
08-24-2011, 02:44 AM

Ouch! If I had a 30 gallon"s" tank right now I'd be upset!

jorjef
08-24-2011, 02:47 AM
Oh good it's not over....keep poking the bear!! :lol:

RedCoralEdmonton
08-24-2011, 03:00 AM
Poking the bear??? I didn't see The Grizz in this thread...... Lol

Steve

Zoaelite
08-24-2011, 03:07 AM
Step One:
Remove the moderators from the board.

Step Two:
Have Canreef aired on some sort of network.

Step Three:
Roll in the cashola :razz:.

Step Four:
Go take some bong hoots, you all are way too grouchy today.

Step Five:
:popcorn:

kien
08-24-2011, 04:14 AM
:FYI daniella3d in a lot of your posts (not just this thread) you come off sounding like an incompetent know it all

http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af144/muzanji/ohnoyoudidnt.gif

RedCoralEdmonton
08-24-2011, 04:16 AM
About to watch the second episode, still excited.... I look at this series as entertainment in a subject I am fascinated with, and to be honest there isnt much out there for passionate reefers..... so take it with a grain of salt.... we could have nothing....

Steve

dc4
08-24-2011, 04:18 AM
http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af144/muzanji/ohnoyoudidnt.gif

:lol:

daniella3d
08-24-2011, 04:19 AM
Well then you totally missed my point. But why I am not surprise?

Ouch! If I had a 30 gallon"s" tank right now I'd be upset!

MarkoD
08-24-2011, 04:35 AM
Well then you totally missed my point. But why I am not surprise?

because no one said "SURPRISEEEEEEE"?

Coleus
08-24-2011, 04:40 AM
come on ppl, watch the show with an open mind. It is a show and not a freaking documentary. Look at those cool tanks, don't you wish you have one like that?

Coleus
08-24-2011, 05:12 AM
NVM

The Grizz
08-24-2011, 05:23 AM
Poking the bear??? I didn't see The Grizz in this thread...... Lol

Steve

Did someone call for the BEAR!! :twised:

And for the record I have 2 damsels in my FOWLR & 1 little damsel in my 8'er, also have 8 tangs, 6 BC Cromis, a large scribbled rabbit & around 15 other fish in the 8'er.

Anyone want to bash me with there opinion, I'm up for a few rounds :boxing:

Maverick00
08-24-2011, 05:26 AM
im sorry, but since i made some.... :pop2:

lastlight
08-24-2011, 05:38 AM
Guess I'll try watchingthe whole episode. I dunno. This thread is already 10x better than my skim view of the show I may just stay here?

I'd like to add that Kien has a 4 stripe damsel and is therefore a total LA NOOB.

MarkoD
08-24-2011, 12:05 PM
Did someone call for the BEAR!! :twised:

And for the record I have 2 damsels in my FOWLR & 1 little damsel in my 8'er, also have 8 tangs, 6 BC Cromis, a large scribbled rabbit & around 15 other fish in the 8'er.

Anyone want to bash me with there opinion, I'm up for a few rounds :boxing:

Get a school of blue hippos..... But actual hippos, like the " house hippo" they show on tv

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBfi8OEz0rA

MarkoD
08-24-2011, 01:04 PM
but back on topic.... if you guys want a show thats more geared towards hobbyists.

watch LAfishGuys

http://www.youtube.com/user/lafishguy

kien
08-24-2011, 03:24 PM
Guess I'll try watchingthe whole episode. I dunno. This thread is already 10x better than my skim view of the show I may just stay here?

I'd like to add that Kien has a 4 stripe damsel and is therefore a total LA NOOB.

Nice.. Why don't you just open up a separate bash Kien thread instead of hijacking this one MF.

I learned a lot from LAfishguy. That guy is cool and knows what he's doing. He needs a tv show but probably wouldnt get high viewership. I'm going to try to watch tanked tonight wish me luck!!

MarkoD
08-24-2011, 04:31 PM
Nice.. Why don't you just open up a separate bash Kien thread instead of hijacking this one MF.

I learned a lot from LAfishguy. That guy is cool and knows what he's doing. He needs a tv show but probably wouldnt get high viewership. I'm going to try to watch tanked tonight wish me luck!!

Yeah he's great. But his over pronouncination of every word gets kind of annoying after 5 parts of an episode

The Grizz
08-24-2011, 04:42 PM
Get a school of blue hippos..... But actual hippos, like the " house hippo" they show on tv

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBfi8OEz0rA

I don't think my Huskies would be as tolerant to the Hippos as the cat was. But if it was possible my wife would ABSOLUTELY love it, :lol:.

lastlight
08-24-2011, 04:45 PM
Yeah he's great. But his over pronouncination of every word gets kind of annoying after 5 parts of an episode

That's an understatement! I didn't last 2 min before running the other way!

christyf5
08-24-2011, 05:27 PM
I dunno about this show. All I saw was a photo of one guy showing an out of the water puffed up puffer to another guy and that was enough for me. I won't be watching that show.

I just gotta say kien, I love the pics u keep posting. That train off he rails one was freaking AWESOME!! I laughed out loud and woke the kid up.

Aquattro
08-24-2011, 06:17 PM
because no one said "SURPRISEEEEEEE"?

Thanks, just spit coffee :)

Aquattro
08-24-2011, 06:18 PM

Ya, Brett. MF. Pfft.

sphelps
08-24-2011, 08:59 PM
Anyone got any info on what these guys use for filtration? I'm assuming just a wet-dry system and nothing special. Also are they really just using straight tap water and setting up these fully stocked tanks as quick as they appear to be? I'm thinking they have a few tricks up their sleeves that they don't want to become common knowledge, like pre-cultured filters and some kind of inline water filter and salt mixing device. Makes you think though, some of the most expensive tanks in the world (well at least the ones on TV claimed to be) don't use live rock or protein skimmers...

And do these guys ever use real coral?? Or is that something they pretend doesn't exist. My wife talked to someone in Vegas regarding their fish tank in the casino and they were convinced live coral in aquariums didn't exist.....

MarkoD
08-24-2011, 09:28 PM
Looks like these guys use bioballs in a trickle filter. They probably bring in already established bioballs.

They also probably use a carbon filter hooked to the tap and then just mix salt.

And since they are a maintenance company too and their clients obviously have money, they probably do weekly water changes and cleaning.

cathyg_99
08-24-2011, 09:46 PM
i would assume also by watching the second episode that they maybe also do a quarantine system at the shop, or from the supplier? the first tank they seemed to bring it from the shop and the second was straight from the shipping boxes... they should have a behind the scenes show for us reefers

Coleus
08-24-2011, 09:56 PM
when they are filling the water for the mob tank, it clearly shows they are filling the tank with some kind of tap water which is 95 degree so they brought some ice to cool the water.

This is what i assume: since they have no live rock, they can reduce the cycle time?? They must have some kind of magic potion where you just fill the tap water, dump in the potions, dump in the salt and then once it is mixed to certain salinity and ph, put the fishes in.

Also the fishes are probably already got quarantine from the shop they bought so they only get super healthy one.

Anyway, i am still curious if any fish dies after couple days tho. From the sounds of it, it seems like most of tank owner do not care what fishes they are getting, all they are really after is the look and wow factor. So even if fishes are dying, they jsut got replaced quickly. Sad to think if this is case

MarkoD
08-24-2011, 09:58 PM
But without live rock they can just medicate the whole tank.

And why would they need a potion?I think they just have a huge tank with bio balls that are established and ready to go

mark
08-24-2011, 10:30 PM
When I started the LFS were push stuff like Prime (http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=4057)and Cycle (http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=3983) to get things going in an hurry

sphelps
08-24-2011, 10:51 PM
I guess I guy could have just checked out there website
http://www.acrylicaquariums.com/aquariums_life_support.htm

mseepman
09-02-2011, 04:07 AM
Just in case someone was having trouble finding the first episode to watch it...here's a link:

http://www.videobb.com/watch_video.php?v=iZu63rgA26Ze

Fish selection was questionable...but the show could bring some recognition to the hobby which is positive.

MarkoD
09-02-2011, 04:19 AM
new episode is out

arash53
09-02-2011, 04:25 AM
I just watched the last episode (3) , unfortunately it is getting worse and worse :cry:

Madreefer
09-02-2011, 04:58 AM
Has anyone found this on Bell Express Vu? If so what channel number and when?

MarkoD
09-02-2011, 05:12 AM
I just watched the last episode (3) , unfortunately it is getting worse and worse :cry:

I think you're being overly critical. It's just a show for entertainment purposes. There is no education value. And I thought the tanks they featured were pretty cool and the show was entertaining.

lastlight
09-02-2011, 05:22 AM
My bet's on *actual* sharks with laser beams on their heads for season finale.

arash53
09-02-2011, 05:26 AM
Good one Brett :)

mseepman
09-02-2011, 05:27 AM
Isn't that supposed to be "frikkin laser beams" Brett?

lastlight
09-02-2011, 05:50 AM

Mom told me frick was a swear?

cathyg_99
09-02-2011, 06:54 PM
I think their fish selection is fine for the first year at most then as thefish grow it allows them to sell more items to the client...

parkinsn
09-02-2011, 07:11 PM
http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr41/parkinsn/tumblr_li0p4hGNl31qhalngo1_400.jpg

Episode 6.

MarkoD
09-13-2011, 12:38 PM
heres your explanation

http://vimeo.com/28934631

sphelps
09-13-2011, 02:36 PM
Episode 5 has a tank with real coral :mrgreen:

lastlight
09-13-2011, 03:21 PM
heres your explanation

LMAO.

My SaltTimid looked a little uneasy as that guy was unloading his verbal salvo. Great clip lol...

mseepman
09-13-2011, 04:15 PM
Okay...so on Friday I came down in my hotel at MACNA and there was Brett in the Starbucks...I went over introduced myself and we had a good chat about the show. I asked him some of the stuff about what forums are saying and he told me that they are pressing the producers to put some written disclaimers in describing how much effort they go through to pre-setup the tank...but the producers don't feel it makes good TV. I also had lunch with the guys from the fish importer on episode one and they said that they are very involved making sure that each tank is really just a "tank move" not a new setup. They have existing tanks full of life ready for the show and they move them into the "new" tanks that the guys put together for customers. Every precaution is taken.

Does this absolve them from any responsibility if newbies do what they do and kill their livestock..."NO" but it makes me feel a little better.

Coleus
09-13-2011, 04:52 PM
heres your explanation

I totally support Brett Raymer :-)

MarkoD
09-13-2011, 06:30 PM
Yeah I'm pretty sure these guys wouldn't be very successful if they weren't doing things right and fish were dying

mattdean
09-13-2011, 08:38 PM
Brett is right. It's the LFS' responsibility to make sure people do things right. that's why I always ask the 14 year old sales person at Big Al's what to do first! :baby:

Coleus
09-13-2011, 08:48 PM
Brett is right. It's the LFS' responsibility to make sure people do things right. that's why I always ask the 14 year old sales person at Big Al's what to do first! :baby:

He mentioned "Google" and "internet". This show is entertainment not "science documentary". If you don't like it then you don't have to watch it and let others enjoy it

mattdean
09-13-2011, 09:59 PM
You misread what I was trying to say. I love the show. It's good entertainment. I agree with Brett 100%. I was poking fun at Big Al's as a place to get competent advice. Not at the show.

Sometimes humour just doesn't come across in a post. Sorry about that.

Coleus
09-13-2011, 10:04 PM
You misread what I was trying to say. I love the show. It's good entertainment. I agree with Brett 100%. I was poking fun at Big Al's as a place to get competent advice. Not at the show.

Sometimes humour just doesn't come across in a post. Sorry about that.

Sorry, I misunderstand your humor post for a sarcastic post. Lol. Cheers

Phanman
09-19-2011, 07:04 PM
Just watched the first 4 episodes and if your watching purely to see crazy looking fish tanks its pretty good. Of course their selections in fish are obsurd but hey this show is made for the masses. The amount of fish they have in that phone booth tank and juke box fish tank is retarded. They just jam pack those things and you know most of those fishes are gonna get so stressed and die off. Also the amount of sharks they have in that one casino is rediculous!!!

Ill continue to watch this show just for the crazy looking tanks they build, and try to disregard ALOT of the idiotic things they do for stocking, and fish handling.

daniella3d
09-19-2011, 08:21 PM
Well, it's not so much what they do that disturb me, it is more what they teach.

I am pretty sure some people are going to do it all wrong because of them.

Does this absolve them from any responsibility if newbies do what they do and kill their livestock..."NO" but it makes me feel a little better.

sphelps
09-19-2011, 08:27 PM
Well, it's not so much what they do that disturb me, it is more what they teach.

I am pretty sure some people are going to do it all wrong because of them.

Totally agree. I now have an issue from watching too much Hell's Kitchen, every time my wife cooks me dinner I swear and yell ridiculously at her while I slam the food on the counter. Someone really should make sure all reality TV shows are 100% accurate to every persons personal beliefs, we obviously can't be held responsible for our own decisions and actions.

muck
09-19-2011, 08:39 PM
Totally agree. I now have an issue from watching too much Hell's Kitchen, every time my wife cooks me dinner I swear and yell ridiculously at her while I slam the food on the counter. Someone really should make sure all reality TV shows are 100% accurate to every persons personal beliefs, we obviously can't be held responsible for our own decisions and actions.

Gripenfelter
09-19-2011, 08:43 PM
I know someone that services the 40,000 gallon tank at our local casino. He said that a big thing in keeping the fish healthy in an articial environment is the chemicals you can throw in if you don't have live rock or invertebrates.

mark
09-20-2011, 01:19 AM
I know someone that services the 40,000 gallon tank at our local casino. He said that a big thing in keeping the fish healthy in an articial environment is the chemicals you can throw in if you don't have live rock or invertebrates.

there's a 40,000g in Winnipeg?

reefwars
09-20-2011, 01:31 AM
:tape:Totally agree. I now have an issue from watching too much Hell's Kitchen, every time my wife cooks me dinner I swear and yell ridiculously at her while I slam the food on the counter. Someone really should make sure all reality TV shows are 100% accurate to every persons personal beliefs, we obviously can't be held responsible for our own decisions and actions.

Phanman
09-20-2011, 05:36 PM

ITS RAW!!!! and palm smash the food :lol:

Myka
09-20-2011, 06:24 PM
I just watched the first episode lastnight. I thought it was pretty well done considering the audience they are marketing to. They spent quite a lot of time talking about quarantining fish, hit the major points, and focused a third of the show on a $30,000 home quarantine system for a wealthy couple. Spending $30,000 on it kinda makes it sound important! ;)

The only thing I found annoying about the show is the bald guy's really big mouth, and he seems awkward sometimes. The dark haired guy seems to bully the bald guy a bit calling him lazy and he doesn't do anything, which I find to be a bit of a turn-off.

So far, I will watch another episode.

Gripenfelter
09-20-2011, 06:38 PM
there's a 40,000g in Winnipeg?

http://www.clubregent.com/attractions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05u_DGRWOtM

http://www.reynoldspolymer.com/index2.php?option=com_resource&no_html=1&task=show_file&file=NDc2X2NsdWJfcmVnZW50X3R1bm5lbC0xMDAwbWF4LmpwZ w==&uid=63

arash53
09-24-2011, 03:53 AM
Phone Booth Aquarium from the show "Tanked" on Animal Planet | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Phone-Booth-Aquarium-show-Tanked-Animal-Planet-/220855263832?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item336bffe258)

Do you also think all those fishes died !

Corbin
09-24-2011, 06:02 AM
Phone Booth Aquarium from the show "Tanked" on Animal Planet | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Phone-Booth-Aquarium-show-Tanked-Animal-Planet-/220855263832?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item336bffe258)

Do you also think all those fishes died !

probably, that and they are probably making lots of money on it. doubt anyone will bid on it though.

Tracey2
09-24-2011, 11:16 AM
guys, where do I find this program? I have bell and ordered animal planet channel 525 but I don't see it.

MarkoD
09-24-2011, 12:04 PM

probably, that and they are probably making lots of money on it. doubt anyone will bid on it though.
No way they're making money.they're probably losing lots of money

mseepman
09-24-2011, 04:17 PM
guys, where do I find this program? I have bell and ordered animal planet channel 525 but I don't see it.

This doesn't seem available in Canada on animal planet. I have had to download it via bittorrent.

Tracey2
09-24-2011, 04:20 PM
Thanks Mark, that's not fair.

Canuckgod420
09-24-2011, 05:40 PM
you can just download them from any torrent site.

chewie
09-25-2011, 03:33 AM
Having downloaded and watched all the episodes so far I have to say that the show has grown on me. I also, was very baffled on how they could get the tanks set up, add water, then fish right away, with no mention of cycling and fish compatability or fish load. I then realized that it is a tv show and the producers are in charge of what is shown and it is a reality show after all, not an informative documentary. I did go to Animal Planets web page for tanked and saw ( right side under "more tanked" : fish care and more) a very good section on Aquariums both fresh and marine. It is very informative and explains everything about setting up and maintaining aquariums and evn a fish guide which lets you pick a fish from a drop down menu ( even damsels..:).) and it explains all about it and even gives you a compatibility listing with other fish. I just hope that people who decide to set up an aquarium because of this show do go to the web site for the in depth-behind the scene info.
http://animal.discovery.com/videos/tanked-videos/

Corbin
09-25-2011, 04:13 AM
thats nice to hear, thanks for investgating that. im sure the guys on the show are as serious as all of us, and maybe it was there actions that got that put on there to help protect fish :)

viperfish
10-19-2011, 01:50 AM
It seems there are only six episodes to the season, I kind of expected more!

Veng68
10-19-2011, 02:50 AM
12 have been ordered for season 2.

Cheers,
Vic

Bryan
04-28-2012, 09:33 AM
Well, watched the first season. I have to say most of their customers seem to have more money than brains. But the show does grow upon you.

JetJumper
04-28-2012, 01:37 PM
I don't know if this is allowed, but if it isn't please feel free to remove my post.

If you want to watch online, here is one method to do so.
http://watchseries.eu/serie/tanked

Josh7831
05-04-2012, 04:39 AM
Not sure if somebody has provided a link, but here is a link to stream all of the episodes.

http://www.free-tv-video-online.me/internet/tanked/

enjoy!

lol i just noticed the poster above posted a link, well now you have two to pick from :)

subman
05-17-2012, 05:00 AM
Is it cancelled? I've been looking for episode 4 for a couple weeks and it doesn't look like it aired

MarkoD
05-17-2012, 02:55 PM
I just saw an ad for it yesterday

pinkreef
05-17-2012, 03:05 PM
WISH I HAD CABLE

MarkoD
05-17-2012, 03:09 PM
WISH I HAD CABLE

It wouldn't help you, all you need is internet