PDA

View Full Version : Stand question for 45 gallon tank

Beanz
08-10-2011, 11:40 PM
Hey all, so i have this stand that i built about a year back for my 45 gallon tank and i have to say that it is a crappy stand cause i can only fit a 10 gallon (very tight to fit it in) for a sump. I have emptied the 45 cause i'm not using it right now, so now would be the perfect time to make a change to the stand. What i am thinking of doing is taking the center pieces out or even just one center brace so i could fit a bigger sump, or fuge into the back of the stand. The "legs" if you will are two 2x4s screwed together to make a 4x4 would i be able to get away with just one leg on each corner?

Here is a pic of the stand to help you get an idea of what i have.
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/picture.php?albumid=584&pictureid=4604

monocus
08-11-2011, 04:32 AM
turn your back legs sideways add another stud in the back(sideways).remove your two front middle studs.make sure that the base that the tank sits on is not on the flat ,but upright,with "joists" at 16 " centers.try not to have an opening more than 36"

Beanz
08-11-2011, 07:30 AM
Ya there is another stud in the back just cant see it from this angle, would i be able to just use a 2x4 sideways for a stud in the back this would give me enough room to fit a pretty wide tank in there.

coolhandgoose
08-12-2011, 05:21 AM
This is the design I used.

You can definitely run a 2x4 across the front with no problem. The loading that a 2x4 can take without bending is pretty huge.

Beanz
08-15-2011, 09:10 PM
Ok thanks man. ill probably take the front middle support out and the back, then put in a single 2x4 in the back. this will enable me to have a decently large fuge for the tanks.