PDA

View Full Version : Bleached Baby Bubble-tip

AJ_77
01-28-2004, 04:16 AM
Got this baby BTA split from Evan back on October 25/03. The parent had been through a high-heat episode but was doing OK (except for the ghostly colour)... Saw a quote recently saying that a bleached 'nem should regain colour in 3-5 weeks... we're now at 3 months and still going slow:
http://members.shaw.ca/AJ_77/bbbta_01.jpg

For the first month or so, it wouldn't even hang onto pieces of mysis when I squirted them directly into the tentacles. Now, however, it will hold onto 2 or 3 individual shrimp pieces. Then it goes "gulp":
http://members.shaw.ca/AJ_77/bbbta_02.jpg

After swallowing, almost back to normal (if you can call this normal):
http://members.shaw.ca/AJ_77/bbbta_03.jpg

I've been really patient with this little guy, because it is definitely on its own schedule. In the 20gal, when it was close up under 110W of PC, it would only expose half of itself. Now in the 28gal, it stretches out more, and is getting a hue of reddish back into some tips. Will be continuing with the feedings 3x per week, and see what happens.

Interesting link from UT Sydney:
Bleached Zooxanthellae Are Healthy! (http://www.science.uts.edu.au/des/StaffPages/PeterRalph/zooxanthellae.html)
Apparently my patience is paying off. Stay tuned...

props
01-28-2004, 04:22 AM
awesome!
looks good the way it is

Samw
01-28-2004, 04:24 AM
Looks very nice

StirCrazy
01-28-2004, 04:25 AM
wouldent that be so cool if it turned out to be a rose.

I kinda like it white though, its different. I foundmine fighting with my frog spawn this evening.. they are both doing better.

Steve

Samw
01-28-2004, 04:25 AM
What if its blue? That could fetch $1,000?

Quinn
01-28-2004, 04:30 AM
Blue BTAs exist? :exclaim:

Alan, I don't think that article is suggesting that the anemone is healthy without zooxanthellae, simply that the zooxanthellae that are expelled continue to photosynthesize, which wouldn't help the anemone. If you were aware of this and I misconstrued your interest in the article, ignore me (maybe you are suggesting that expelled zooxanthellae are reabsorbed). :biggrin:

StirCrazy
01-28-2004, 04:36 AM
Teevee, I think they are saying they harvested zooxanthellae from bleached anemones. so yes that is saying that the bleached zooxanthellae are healthy.

Steve

EmilyB
01-28-2004, 04:42 AM
I still think it is worth a try to introduce water from a tank with a healthy anemone. :biggrin:

I know I have read that they can pick up the required zooanth from the water....whether that is true or not, who knows?

AJ_77
01-28-2004, 04:44 AM
What Steve said, Quinn... :smile:

"Bleached zooxanthellae are healthy." So, a bleached anemone can be healthy.

EmilyB
01-28-2004, 04:46 AM
I know Carp had one and it eventually croaked... :sad:

AJ_77
01-28-2004, 04:47 AM
Bummer - this one might be of the same family, Deb?

Good thing it's reagaining some colour, then... You trying to scare me?!?
:eek:

EmilyB
01-28-2004, 05:02 AM
No :confused:

Delphinus
01-28-2004, 05:03 AM
Blue BTA's exist. Wai's has had them in the past. And for considerably less than $1000 too :razz:

Delphinus
01-28-2004, 05:53 AM
"Bleached zooxanthellae are healthy." So, a bleached anemone can be healthy.

That might be a bit of a leap. What I understand from the article is that the zooxanthellae continued to live after a heat stress or expulsion incident. Once expelled however, it's of little consequence to the anemone or coral if the zooxanthellae continues to photosynthesize. The only saving grace would be a reabsorption, but that's a different question.

But don't get me wrong. I am encouraged by hearing the progress with the feedings. Have you tried chopped small pieces of prawn at all? Might be worth a quick check if it will take some. Good luck with the continued recovery.

Jack
01-28-2004, 07:23 AM
Corals release zooanthellae when stressed in hopes of catching a different strain that is more suited to its new/current environment. I've read many articles on this but that's my basic and personal perception of coral bleaching ect.

Delphinus
01-28-2004, 02:08 PM
I'm just taking exception (sorry Alan :razz: ) to the conclusion that a bleached anemone is healthy after all. There are a lot of subtle nuances that are being missed when I read that line. I know Alan knows this, but my concern is that someone who might not have the experience to fall back on, sees that and draws the wrong conclusions about that white anemone they see in the store. To be clear: it is possible that a bleached anemone may recover and become a healthy, vibrant, robust, etc. (insert favourite adjective here), individual, but, the fact remains that it is stressed at that point and recovery isn't guaranteed. I wouldn't recommend a bleached anemone to anyone who isn't 100% certain they are willing to take on the TLC of nurturing such an animal back to healthy robustness, and I would venture to say that it really ought to be tried only by people with some experience with anemones in particular. I do believe that Alan knows what he's doing, so don't take any of my comments as a criticism levelled against him, he's doing just fine from what I can tell -- I'm merely going after the syntactic/semantic issues.

AJ_77
01-28-2004, 03:44 PM
To be clear: it is possible that a bleached anemone may recover and become a healthy, vibrant, robust, etc. (insert favourite adjective here), individual, but, the fact remains that it is stressed at that point and recovery isn't guaranteed. I wouldn't recommend a bleached anemone to anyone who isn't 100% certain they are willing to take on the TLC of nurturing such an animal back to healthy robustness, and I would venture to say that it really ought to be tried only by people with some experience with anemones in particular.
Very good point, Tony. I guess I should have qualified my position initially - I certainly wouldn't jump all over this anemone unless I had a previous arrangement with the seller. It was in the interim that the bleaching occurred, and I didn't feel right backing out of the deal.

Hopefully the little ghost will continue toward "robustness" as it continues to take food. I don't think I have any fresh prawns though... can't imagine the tiny piece that would be necessary - this BTA is maybe 6cm across.
:smile:

Quinn
01-28-2004, 05:06 PM
Ok that makes sense. I wasn't aware that zooxanthellae could be reabsorbed, or that there were different types of said organism.

eposer
01-28-2004, 05:46 PM
You shouldn't have felt bad if you didn't want it Alan. I certainly wouldn't have cried about it or anything. If it doesn't make it let me knot and I'll find you a replacement :biggrin:

BTW: My half is still kicking. Actually it's doing quite well now and eats like a pig! I'm feeding mostly mysis right now.

AJ_77
01-28-2004, 07:08 PM
Hey, Evan! Not to worry, it's been a good experience so far. Heck, even the clownfish is starting to notice it. Is yours coloured up at all?

Cheers, good to hear from you.
:biggrin: