PDA

View Full Version : My overflow failed today :(

Son Of Skyline
08-09-2011, 01:38 AM
I just came home to see a perfectly working system, minus 4 gallons of water from my sump, and apparently 4 gallons of water in my carpet. It seems that my external overflow had failed for a short time, sending water cascading over the top of my tank, but then started working again before my sump went dry. I looked for signs of plugging from a hermit crab perhaps, but there was no evidence. All I can see is the clear trail of salt water from the top of the tank down and onto the floor. From the size of these water marks it looks like this was a pretty dramatic event. I live in an apartment and I'm just hoping no water leaked down into the unit under me.

Is there a simple way to rig up a water on the floor sensor to my return pump so that the return pump shuts off as soon as water starts to flow over the tank onto the floor? I did some searching but all I seem to read about are audible alarms and emails sent if the water sensor goes off. I just want it to cut my return if the tank starts overflowing.

Thanks!!

Bloodasp
08-09-2011, 02:02 AM
The alarm can always be changed into a relay instead which cuts off the power when the sensor senses flooding on the floor. If you are not good or not comfortable of riggig stuff like this it would be good to find someone who can.

abcha0s
08-09-2011, 02:07 AM
It might be easier to use a float switch to shutoff the pump in the event of a low water event in the sump. You could use an ATO system for this purpose. Most ATOs can be configured with a sensor in the reservoir to detect a low water condition and shut off the top off pump. Theres no reason why this wouldn't work with your sump and return pump.

Anyway, I'm sorry about your misfortune although I'm glad you didn't lose the tank.

- Brad

kien
08-09-2011, 04:32 AM
sorry to here, but glad to hear that it wasn't a complete catastrophe. Still, not something any of us want to come home to.. I'm curious as to what type of external overflow you are using that failed? Durso, Herbie, single stand pipe, siphon?

Coleus
08-09-2011, 05:14 AM
It might be easier to use a float switch to shutoff the pump in the event of a low water event in the sump. You could use an ATO system for this purpose. Most ATOs can be configured with a sensor in the reservoir to detect a low water condition and shut off the top off pump. Theres no reason why this wouldn't work with your sump and return pump.

Anyway, I'm sorry about your misfortune although I'm glad you didn't lose the tank.

- Brad

This is a great idea if you don't have a big ATO reservoir connecting to the system directly. Else your low switch wont activate uitl the ATO reservoir is out of water.

What i do on my is that put a high float switches on both my sum and my display tank , if the water reach these levels, my pump shut off. Also have the water floor detection as well to shut off everything. Cant afford any water on my carpet or my wife will kill me

Also, about why you are getting overflow, i found that sometime if your overflow water has to travel horizontal to get to your sump, the air get into there and build it the back pressure which cause water could not drain fast enough

emerald crab
08-09-2011, 05:33 AM
HOB overflow = russian rulette.

phi delt reefer
08-09-2011, 10:49 AM
by external do you mean you have a HOB overflow? If so then its an accident waiting to happen.

gobytron
08-09-2011, 02:21 PM
by external do you mean you have a HOB overflow? If so then its an accident waiting to happen.

I agree if it depends on a pump like an aqualifter to restart siphon.
I its a utube overflow, you should not have failure for any reason.

Going on 4 years with my current DIY overflow never, ever failing.

People who say it's an accident waiting to happen are just ignorant on this subject...likely from lack of experience.

What kind of external overflow did you use?
If it happened once, it will happen again if you dont figure out why and how.

Son Of Skyline
08-09-2011, 07:36 PM
Thanks for the responses guys. It's a Lifereef utube overflow and has worked flawlessly for 2 years. I think something plugged the utube for awhile and then moved on, although I don't have any evidence. I have one hermit which is big enough to plug it and it can climb the glass. I do have an ato and it did activate but luckily it shuts down automatically after about 10min so some damage was contained there. A high water float switch in my display may work but it may be an eyesore IMO if I can't hide it. Can a controller like an apex or something control a floor water sensor to cut off my return instead of just sending an audible alarm? Is there a cheaper or easier way?

Coleus
08-09-2011, 07:42 PM
an apex + io break out box + http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BKQ75G will cut off your return pump

Phanman
08-09-2011, 07:51 PM
Not sure what size of display tank you have but after adding up all the parts needed, you probably should look at the cost of a new tank with overflow built in. My guess is it wouldnt be much more for a new custom tank... few hundred more?

gobytron
08-09-2011, 07:54 PM
Thanks for the responses guys. It's a Lifereef utube overflow and has worked flawlessly for 2 years. I think something plugged the utube for awhile and then moved on, although I don't have any evidence. I have one hermit which is big enough to plug it and it can climb the glass. I do have an ato and it did activate but luckily it shuts down automatically after about 10min so some damage was contained there. A high water float switch in my display may work but it may be an eyesore IMO if I can't hide it. Can a controller like an apex or something control a floor water sensor to cut off my return instead of just sending an audible alarm? Is there a cheaper or easier way?

LOL...
That's the cadillac of external overflows...
I would bet money it was an animal that clogged your utube...
Thats why I run dual tubes...lol.

This same type ofmalfunction could occur in any overflow, external or otherwise without the proper failsafes.

GMGQ
08-09-2011, 08:49 PM
LOL...
That's the cadillac of external overflows...
I would bet money it was an animal that clogged your utube...
Thats why I run dual tubes...lol.

This same type ofmalfunction could occur in any overflow, external or otherwise without the proper failsafes.

Nope, it could Never be the Lifereef's fault!

Here we go again...

LOL indeed.

gobytron
08-09-2011, 08:58 PM
Nope, it could Never be the Lifereef's fault!

Here we go again...

LOL indeed.

Alright...
on a siphon (not pump) based overflow, how d you explain a temporary or partial loss of siphon then a return to full siphon as described by the OP?

what do you have against lifereef I wonder?

Son Of Skyline
08-11-2011, 09:55 AM
an apex + io break out box + http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BKQ75G will cut off your return pump

Thanks. This could be the perfect excuse to buy an apex!

I don't blame the overflow because it did return to full flow on it's own so there was no break in the siphon. Right now I'm blaming my biggest hermit and Im thinking of trading all my big hermits in for little ones.

The tank is 70 gal and it would be nice to get a new drilled tank but it would be a pita to switch over.

Money pit
08-11-2011, 06:11 PM
I came home today to what potentially could have been the same situation as yours. When I looked over at the tank,I spotted my Anem in my sump. He must have decided to go for a walk/float while I was at work. Made it through the external overflow and into the sump without spilling a drop. :razz: must have been a nice ride.