PDA

View Full Version : Whats the scoop with DIY LED

JaiWiz
08-07-2011, 03:47 PM
Hey guys i'm just wondering what the scoop is on the DIY LED's. Our family has a electrical company that specializes in PLC operated control panels for agriculture and I have access to just about any lighting distributor out there and many suppliers. But my question is what is the most economical way to do these things I guess you can say what is the "best bang for your buck". I have heard that you can actually use the screw in LED's but you gotta order in the right bulbs i believe its royal blue and cool white (what kind of par, what kind of K rating, how mnay watts). But i'am still just curious as I have already talked with some of my technicians and they might rig one up for me but i need more info as to what we need. They are not into the hobby is they are kinda walkin in blind.

mseepman
08-07-2011, 04:25 PM
if you look over on RC in the DIY section you will see a huge write up for LED that will guide you through just about everything you could possibly ask. I will be making a large DIY LED shortly for the tank I'm building into my new house. Lots to think about but i think the end result can be really amazing.

Bloodasp
08-07-2011, 05:22 PM
Yup just go to reefcentral. That is probably the most discussed topic in the diy section. You should really get a good idea on what you might need in there.

The Grizz
08-07-2011, 05:34 PM
Keep me posted what you find out, I want to do LED for my 300.

lapdog2020
08-07-2011, 08:24 PM
Let me know what you dig up too

Bblinks
08-07-2011, 10:13 PM
There is also nano reef.com which has a wealth of information on DIY led fixtures.

StirCrazy
08-08-2011, 01:54 AM
There is also nano reef.com which has a wealth of information on DIY led fixtures.

+1 on this,

Nano reef makes RC look like the "slow brother" in this area.. the only good post on RC is a repost of the original on nano reef. all you have to do is go into the lighting section and start reading.. you'll soon find out the best set up is a heat sink of some sort, individual cree LEDs (old way of thinking was royal blue and cool white) now your seeing combanation including blue green ect, but the best seams to be simple.. nutral white and a mix of royal blue and true vilot so each color would be strung togeather on a adjustable controler so you can tune the color to what you like.

screw in ones are ok for gold fish bowls but don't have the power behind them and are normaly not designed for enclosed operation which means they will over heat and die.

Steve