PDA

View Full Version : Do corals react to sound?

patd
08-06-2011, 11:12 PM
This morning one of the fans on my lights was making a horrendous noise. It stopped after I gave it a good tap - but my corals all remained closed up for a long time and are only now starting to open up.
Is this coincidence or were the corals reacting to the noise of the fan? Could the sound have been sending vibrations through the water? The lights still came on at the usual time and the sound only lasted 2-3 minutes maximum...

Cheers,
PatD

abcha0s
08-07-2011, 02:47 AM
Not sound, but perhaps vibrations.

FishyFishy!
08-07-2011, 05:38 AM
Yeah I found whenever I have a large party at my place my corals are always ****ed for a couple days after.

asylumdown
08-07-2011, 04:32 PM
Yeah I found whenever I have a large party at my place my corals are always ****ed for a couple days after.

They probably react to it the same way they'd react to a severe thunderstorm.

beefORchicken
08-07-2011, 09:06 PM
i have my tank built into an old tv and the speakers of the old tv are hooked up to my home theater. sound has never bothered any of my livestock, ever. i think if there are severe enough vibrations corals might react to it.

Parker
08-07-2011, 09:49 PM
I have my tank in the same room as my home theater and I'm a guy that thinks that if it isn't loud there's no sense in watching the movie. :D I'm never noticed any adverse affects.