PDA

View Full Version : Cures For HLLE In Angel?

rastaangel
08-06-2011, 06:58 PM
At the moment I have a small juv emperor in QT. Since I picked him up he has started to develop small pinkish colored dots around his eyes and over the top of his head. He eats like a pig, is fed a mix of brine, mysis and bloodworms. Also devours nori with a passion, actually out competes the achilles tang in with him. All foods are soaked in garlic and selcon alternating days. I checked for stray voltage and got none, and theres no carbon being used as I am treating with copper for the next 10 or so days.
Any one got any ideas on a cure/prevention?

rastaangel
08-07-2011, 06:53 PM
No one? No adive?

TimT
08-07-2011, 07:59 PM
HLLE can also be caused by a parasite. Try this:
http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Metronidazole.html

Cheers,
Tim

George
08-07-2011, 09:59 PM
It could be diet related. None of the foods you feed to it is the natural diet of emperor angel. It feeds on sponges in the wild. Try to get some angel formula fish food.

rastaangel
08-07-2011, 11:48 PM
forgot to mention I also soak in brightwells angelixer which is supposed to be the same as sponges, as I have no access to angel formual foods

outacontrol
08-08-2011, 04:49 AM
The current coral magazine has a good article on hlle. Says the cause is carbon, very worth while read. You can get it for free on your iPhone or iPad.

rastaangel
08-08-2011, 06:46 PM
The current coral magazine has a good article on hlle. Says the cause is carbon, very worth while read. You can get it for free on your iPhone or iPad.
Just finished reading the article and didnt find it helpful at all... there studies showed using low grade carbon high in dust resulted in severe HLLE... There is no carbon what so ever in the tank as im treating with copper for the next 9 days...

naesco
08-08-2011, 10:43 PM
At the moment I have a small juv emperor in QT. Since I picked him up he has started to develop small pinkish colored dots around his eyes and over the top of his head. He eats like a pig, is fed a mix of brine, mysis and bloodworms. Also devours nori with a passion, actually out competes the achilles tang in with him. All foods are soaked in garlic and selcon alternating days. I checked for stray voltage and got none, and theres no carbon being used as I am treating with copper for the next 10 or so days.
Any one got any ideas on a cure/prevention?

Why are you treating copper?

rastaangel
08-09-2011, 12:23 AM
I am treating with copper cuz my achilles was a fresh import and developed a massive ick outbreak

naesco
08-09-2011, 01:55 AM
I am treating with copper cuz my achilles was a fresh import and developed a massive ick outbreak

Unless your angel is showing some evidence of parasite infection I would put it into the Display Tank.
It is not a good idea to use copper where there are open wounds on a fish.
Continue the excellent feeding regimen and see if you can find some sponge food for him.

rastaangel
08-09-2011, 03:43 AM
None of the fish in either of my QTs are showing signs of parasites since the 3rd day of treatment... But I have worked to hard keeping my DT completely parasite free to risk putting a fish in there that hasnt done a full quar. process. They have only been in QT since the 1st, so they have only been in copper for a week, half the recomeended time. Adding a fish to my display at this point sounds like a recipe for disaster...