PDA

View Full Version : How to detect this with Apex

Coleus
08-06-2011, 12:41 AM
Well, I have this weird situation where all my 3 MH ballast are hooked up to a surge protector is dead and i have not have the MH for couple days now without knowing about it so my sps has been suffered a little bit.

Anyway, the surge protector hook up one of my apex outlet. I am curious what would be the best way to detect this problem in the future

I guess i can monitor the amp on my apex but wondering if there is any custom code to detect this problem

TIA

The Grizz
08-06-2011, 12:59 AM
I would be more concerned about why the surge protector is dead. I have all 4 of my MH plugged into my Profilux power bar with out issue. You surge protector was it Apex brand or just a normal power bar?

whatcaneyedo
08-06-2011, 03:27 AM
If you already have it setup to send you email and text messages you could have it send one every day at some point when all of the lights should be on to give you a snapshot of how the tank doing. I've heard of one person doing that anyways.

phi delt reefer
08-06-2011, 04:26 AM
you should set up a system trigger.

if outlet x reads < y amps between 8:00am and 10:00pm then send email alert.

dont have it only email you when its off - figure out how much each light draws so in case the ballast blew on light and only two were on the lower amp draw would trigger an alert so you could trouble shoot.

Coleus
08-06-2011, 04:34 AM
I would be more concerned about why the surge protector is dead. I have all 4 of my MH plugged into my Profilux power bar with out issue. You surge protector was it Apex brand or just a normal power bar?

Well i have Main outlet > Surge protector > Apex outlet > Surge protector > MHs. The surge protector i am using is the Monster Power brand

If you already have it setup to send you email and text messages you could have it send one every day at some point when all of the lights should be on to give you a snapshot of how the tank doing. I've heard of one person doing that anyways.

The problem is the outlet of the switch is on although the surge protector is crap out so this detecting the outlet wont work

you should set up a system trigger.

if outlet x reads < y amps between 8:00am and 10:00pm then send email alert.

dont have it only email you when its off - figure out how much each light draws so in case the ballast blew on light and only two were on the lower amp draw would trigger an alert so you could trouble shoot.

Hmm, this is what i am after, I am wondering if there is such thing for Apex. Just do a search on reefcentral and this feature is not available :-(

Aquattro
08-06-2011, 04:44 AM
Just do a search on reefcentral and this feature is not available :-(

Post the question in the Neptune forum, I'm sure you'll have a solution in a few hours. The trigger above should work, you just need to tune the syntax, I'm thinking.

Coleus
08-06-2011, 05:31 AM
Post the question in the Neptune forum, I'm sure you'll have a solution in a few hours. The trigger above should work, you just need to tune the syntax, I'm thinking.

I Did that and the answer is no. Any other trick can anyone think of?

Aquattro
08-06-2011, 06:06 AM
Well, work arounds might be running the lights off the power bar itself with each one having it's own outlet.
Or a temp probe somehow monitoring air temp in canopy, where if it's below X during a time frame, you get an alarm.
Really though, I think the issue might be running them off the surge protector.