PDA

View Full Version : LF light for 5 gallon Nano

marcingo
08-05-2011, 05:00 AM
Anyone have a light or know where I can get one to fit a 5 gallon nano? I dont need much lighting just low light stuff. At first I was going to get those 50/50 PC screw in bulbs but I believe I tried doing that once in the past and they were too big (made for the 10 gal).

I havent been able to find a 5 gal tank with a stock tube light lid and dont want to modify things.

If you have any ideas please let me know.

Thanks.

bkelly
08-05-2011, 05:15 AM
i have a 2x18w T5 current USA fixture on my 5 gal, , can get bulbs from Ocean aquatics in vancouver, the legs reduce to fit the tank

Mechaninano
08-05-2011, 06:11 PM
Would this work
http://www.ecoxotic.com/catalog/product/view/id/134/s/ecopico-accessories/category/26/

I have the eco pico and this arm fits on the tank and tightens to hold it still (i dont think it will fit on a tank with a rim)

marcingo
08-05-2011, 06:35 PM
The current USA fixture seems to be much longer than a standard 5 gal or am I looking at the wrong thing? I would like something that fits as close to flush with the tank as possible.

Do you find that Ecoxotic fixture strong enough to keep low light corals under? From what I remember when I was looking for a light they were more for fish only tanks.

Mechaninano
08-05-2011, 07:08 PM
I just set mine up, but at the store they told me I could use it for corals (the arm came with 1 band of led's and then there is space on the arm to add 2 additional led strips) I plan on putting corals in this tank, but I dont think it will be there for a little while as I just added the water last weekend. I think that the light sits a couple of inches from the top of the tank (i think about 4-5 inches)

Reefie
08-05-2011, 08:59 PM
The EcoPico LED Light Arm when additional strips are added to it will provide more than enough light to grow corals. I have 2 White & Blue strips and an all blue strip for moonlight on my daughter's Skimz Ibox. It is SUPER bright! I threw in a photosynthetic Gorgonian and a bunch of Pink Zoas and Green Zoas, and they are all doing exceptionally well. SPS may be even possible as the white LEDs are 12K and over such a small footprint. I haven't tried any SPS frags in there yet though.

NU-2reef
08-06-2011, 04:45 PM
I put a boostLED par30 light bulb over an 8g biocube and its friggin sweet. 4blue and one white with 60 degree optics. i do have pics of it if you care...

here a link
http://www.boostled.com/products/par30-reef-lamps