PDA

View Full Version : MH bulb comparison pics

Bob I
01-27-2004, 04:35 PM
Just a couple of pics to compare bulbs. The first one is a picture of a Venki 175W bulb as it looked after burning for hours. It was mounted horizontally with the nipple up.
The second shot is of a quite old AB 175W 10000K bulb. The intensity and clor is still very good.
I don't know what the problem is with the Venki bulb. When I fist fired it up, it was great, as an earlier picture shows. Now it is just crappy.

http://members.shaw.ca/rcipema/newbulbtwo.jpg

http://members.shaw.ca/rcipema/ab_bulb.jpg

This is the picture of the Venki bulb when it first fired up.

http://members.shaw.ca/rcipema/newbulb.jpg

Son Of Skyline
01-27-2004, 04:39 PM
Wow...that's pretty nasty! Is the Venki bulb a 6500k bulb? If so then it would make sense. I'm sure the bulb still needs to burn in too, unless you'v already done that.

Bob I
01-27-2004, 04:46 PM
Wow...that's pretty nasty! Is the Venki bulb a 6500k bulb? If so then it would make sense. I'm sure the bulb still needs to burn in too, unless you'v already done that.

The bulb is a 10000K. The goofy thing is that when I first fired it up, it was great. Later in the day it became pee yellow. Steve said it could be because I was trying to use it vertically, so I went out and spent $70.00 on a new pendant so I could use it horizontally. I then tried to use it for two days with the above results.
The old AB bulb has been used vertically, and horizontally with no problems. :sad:

Chad
01-27-2004, 04:50 PM
That really does look horrid.. I was considering using a bulb from venkiw.. but I think I will hold off for now and see what happens with other peoples bulbs..

Son Of Skyline
01-27-2004, 04:55 PM
If the colour in the pic is accurate, then something's gotta be wrong with the bulb! That's very yellow even for 6500k standards. I'd give it the benefit of the doubt and let it burn in for 100 hours. Hopefully there'll be a dramatic colour shift. I know others have used the 10k bulbs from Venki and are happy with it, but I'm not sure if they're using the 175w.

Man...i still can't believe a 10k bulb can burn like that!

LostMind
01-27-2004, 05:22 PM
my venki 10k 400W looks way whiter then that.

venkiw
01-27-2004, 06:29 PM
Hey bob,

If you had contacted us we would have tried to rectify the situation. Posting without contacting the manufacturer does not serve any purpose, does it?

Venki

Aquattro
01-27-2004, 06:37 PM
Hey bob,

If you had contacted us we would have tried to rectify the situation. Posting without contacting the manufacturer does not serve any purpose, does it?

Venki

I think it gives an account of Bob's opinion, if I'm not mistaken. Certainly something we're all interested in. You really need to stop being so defensive. You did sign up for public scrutiny by entering into business selling things. And you are certainly entitled to respond to Bob's post.

Son Of Skyline
01-27-2004, 06:39 PM
Hey bob,

Venki

Well, in this case maybe Bob is posting to eliminate all other possibilities before assuming that the bulb is defective. If this is the case then posting before contacting the manufacturer would make sense and would be the responsible thing to do :smile:

venkiw
01-27-2004, 07:24 PM
I was just my frustration that he had to spend money on additional gear he didn't need. :rolleyes:

Bob, as suggested allow it to burn for 100 hours (make sure the contacts are tight, may be need to pull the tongue out a little and tighten the bulb), the nipple can be in any position other than pointing down. I hope you do not have any timers on the circuit.

Can you also note down where the mixture is inside the inner tube are? and send me the info. Also the ballast make and type would be useful.

Dont worry about over tightening them, we'll send you a bulb if you break them.

If nothing works send the bulb back to us for a replacement, you also have the option of getting a 14K if you so wish.

Cheers

Venki

PS:- It is just that if I wasn't here it becomes more of a customer service issue, sorry didn't mean to offend anybody, hurts the reputation of the company, that I am working hard to build.

Skimmerking
01-27-2004, 08:26 PM
I still like the 20 K or the 12 K
bulbs love the blue look..
But that is me

Namscam
01-27-2004, 08:38 PM
Hey bob,

Venki

Well I do not think what Bob did here was any wrong. I mean I ve seen many people post comparison of your bulbs that look good. Why did no one complain about those pics and what is so different about Bob posting these pics as compared to other comparisons of your bulbs that look good. Bob is just showing us what he found out about your bulbs that some of us do not know.

But I must say that you are handling this situation very well by letting Bob replace the bulbs if he wished.
BTW as Bob mentioned, it was pass the burn in period of 100 hours

Seriak
01-27-2004, 09:10 PM
This is not the first time I heard about this yellowing color. Is there a reason that these bulbs tend towards this color? Is this a new technology that has quite worked out the bugs yet? Just curious. I wouldn't want to be the guinea pig if it was. Too expensive when you are looking a Metal Halide costs.

Old Guy
01-28-2004, 12:51 AM
I know others who have had the same problem with the 175w as well, yet none with the 250's. I have both the 10000k and the 14000k 250w. Personally I think the 14k rating is a joke. JMO.

Jeff

LostMind
01-28-2004, 01:16 AM
14k rating is a joke? why? Is it too low, or too high a rating?

Jack
01-28-2004, 02:07 AM
He means they look like radiums.

whaase
01-28-2004, 02:11 AM
Hmmm, well if someone doesn't like the look of there 250w 14k's I'll trade for 250w - 10k's :lol:

Walter

Bob I
01-28-2004, 02:32 AM
This post is getting a bit out of hand. My original reason for posting my findings was to let everyone know what was happening to me. I never meant to start a battle of words with Venki. If indeed that occurred I am sorry. I am sure Venki will make every effort to set things right. :redface:

Old Guy
01-28-2004, 02:56 AM
I do mean they do look like somebody else's 20000k :smile: (Thanks Jack). I would like to know how Manufactures rate their numbers. If AB's are supposedly 13000k(sold as 10k), Ushio 10000k, Sunburst 12000k etc., etc., which are all whiter type bulbs, how is a Sun Aquatics 14000k more like a rated 20000k. I don't mind the total blue look but I don't personally think there is enough par in the bulb and I would have to change out my VHO actinic's to 10000k to supplement. Again this is JMO.

Jeff

Son Of Skyline
01-28-2004, 03:41 AM
He means they look like radiums.

If the 14k's look like radiums then that's a pretty good joke for me! I've been looking into a cheaper alternative to the radium.

sleeman
01-28-2004, 05:58 AM
I hope you do not have any timers on the circuit.

Venki,
Why no timers? how are you turning your bulbs on and off? I am using a heavy duty timer for both bulbs, and I have great color (bright white).

Al

LostMind
01-28-2004, 06:03 AM
I hope you do not have any timers on the circuit.

Venki,
Why no timers? how are you turning your bulbs on and off? I am using a heavy duty timer for both bulbs, and I have great color (bright white).

Al

me too...

UnderWorldAquatics
01-28-2004, 06:04 AM
I personally find that with timmers, they are crap unless you spend at least $40+ on each one, they have problems delivering power cleanly...
I have tried literaly about 30+ brands and models of timers.... the only kind I buy now are always over $50 each, I havent had a problem since!

Canadian Man
01-28-2004, 06:06 AM
I personally find that with timmers, they are crap unless you spend at least $40+ on each one, they have problems delivering power cleanly...
I have tried literaly about 30+ brands and models of timers.... the only kind I buy now are always over $50 each, I havent had a problem since!

So are you saying that the bulb's may burn diffrently with or without a timer? :confused: Never heard that one before

UnderWorldAquatics
01-28-2004, 06:12 AM
a timer, or any other device put inline between the power source and ballast will act as a resistor and lower the amount of power going to your bulb, so yes it could make the bulb burn irregular... the larger the gauge of wire, and better quality the connections are of any device put inline between your equipment and power source, the less power will be loss due to resistance...
ever pluged a power tool into an extention cord that was really long, sometimes the tool wont work properly, and may even throw the breaker
power works best with the least amount of resistance, thats whay some ballasts say the max length the power cord to the socket can be, because even the cord has resistance...

LostMind
01-28-2004, 06:12 AM
well, I have heavy duty appliance timers, that, with taxes, cost very close to $50.

so far, I have had no problems at all.

chwkreefer
01-28-2004, 06:15 AM

So are you saying that the bulb's may burn diffrently with or without a timer? :confused: Never heard that one before

Just tagging along to see what comes out of that point.

newreefy
01-28-2004, 06:39 AM
Well guys I guess I will chime in on this thread. About a month ago I purchased 2 175w 10k bulbs from Venki. I was very happy when I fired my first bulb up, it was very blue compared to my 10k Ushio. I was so happy I posted pictures of it right away. Two days later I hooked up my other ballast and fired up the other bulb. To my surprise it appeared the color of about a 6500k bulb. I waited about a week hoping it would burn in. After a week the two 10k's were completely different colors (about a 6500k and 14k). I was told by Venki to ship the bulbs back to him and he would test them. After about 3-4 week of testing the verdict was my ballasts were the cause of the bulbs not firing correctly. These were the same ballasts that Venki told me were the best ballasts for these bulbs (about 2 days before i bought the bulbs). In the 3-4 weeks Venki was testing my bulbs I was following threads on reef central about the same problem other people were having. It seemed to be a common problem with the 175w 10k's. They would either burn really yellow or really blue. Venkie told me the only thing he could do was refund my money and that in the future he would put warnings that the bulbs did always work on tar ballasts.......I though a little late! After he already told me they did. So I ended up with my refund alright......... "I refund your account 2 X 42 = 84 less 20% restocking fee = 67.2 total including tax = 71.90 in the next couple of days." Quote from email...... but that didn’t cover my $15 shipping charge x2. (Since I had to pay for the return shipping)

So in the end I end up with no bulbs and $47 in the whole. This is exactly why my parents tell my not to buy things on the Internet!!!!!!!!!

I apologize for the novel

Aquattro
01-28-2004, 06:48 AM
So in the end I end up with no bulbs and $47 in the whole. This is exactly why my parents tell my not to buy things on the Internet!!!!!!!!!

Last time I bought a bulb off the Internet and wasn't happy with it, the supplier gave me new one, no (hardly any) questions asked. I got a new bulb that did work fine and I was $0 in the hole. I buy lots off the Internet, and I've never had a problem.
Restocking for defective product seems a bit odd, no? Maybe it's just me :rolleyes:

StirCrazy
01-28-2004, 01:03 PM
a timer, or any other device put inline between the power source and ballast will act as a resistor and lower the amount of power going to your bulb, so yes it could make the bulb burn irregular... the larger the gauge of wire, and better quality the connections are of any device put inline between your equipment and power source, the less power will be loss due to resistance...
ever pluged a power tool into an extention cord that was really long, sometimes the tool wont work properly, and may even throw the breaker
power works best with the least amount of resistance, thats whay some ballasts say the max length the power cord to the socket can be, because even the cord has resistance...

Ok enuf of this bunk. hell we better take our breakers out and directly wire them to the utility source..

I can't believe you actiualy posted this Kyle..... any timer that is rated for the amprage required for the bulb will not restrict the power to the bulb (unless it is in its off cycle :rolleyes: ) you know I even went and measured my draw through the timer last night because even though I knew the timer excuse was junk I thought I might give you the benifit of the doubt.

If you think about it even if it was a little bit of a resistive load it would only increase the total amount of power you consume. a 15 amp timer is not going to restrict a 5 amp load they are simpacly a switch, like a light switch, which when made has a 0 ohm load (I tested 4 different types of timers for this last night including the old 5.00 dial ones) so anyone who is blaming the color of a bulb on the timer better find a new excuse.

Steve

venkiw
01-28-2004, 02:08 PM
Steve,

The reason for my post was that some of the timers have dimmer circuit in them, which is a well known fact. Trying to get all the facts straight, is all I am trying to do.

Venki

Bob I
01-28-2004, 04:06 PM

Ok enuf of this bunk. hell we better take our breakers out and directly wire them to the utility source..

I can't believe you actiualy posted this Kyle..... any timer that is rated for the amprage required for the bulb will not restrict the power to the bulb (unless it is in its off cycle :rolleyes: ) you know I even went and measured my draw through the timer last night because even though I knew the timer excuse was junk I thought I might give you the benifit of the doubt.

If you think about it even if it was a little bit of a resistive load it would only increase the total amount of power you consume. a 15 amp timer is not going to restrict a 5 amp load they are simpacly a switch, like a light switch, which when made has a 0 ohm load (I tested 4 different types of timers for this last night including the old 5.00 dial ones) so anyone who is blaming the color of a bulb on the timer better find a new excuse.

Steve

May I take the time to totally agree with Steve. Maybe it would behoove those who have no technical background to stop posting bunk. Steve is right. A timer is a timed switch which is off or on. It is delivering power, or no power. I would go deeper into it, but i think Steve has covered it enough. :rolleyes:

Bob I
01-28-2004, 04:15 PM
Steve,

The reason for my post was that some of the timers have dimmer circuit in them, which is a well known fact. Trying to get all the facts straight, is all I am trying to do.

Venki

What timers have dimmer circuits :question:, and a well known fact to who? I myself use the heavy duty T311 Intermatic mechnical timers. Let's talk about price. They sell for $34.95 at a LFS here in town. They sell for $24.95 at our favorite hydroponics supplier. The same timer sells for $11.99 at Ukrainian Tire. I have three of those plus a heavy duty timer made by Timex, which sells for about the same price.
But dimming circuits :question: :question: :question:

venkiw
01-28-2004, 04:46 PM
Bob,

http://www.radioshack.ca/estore/category.aspx?language=en-CA&pagenum=1&category=Home+Automation&catalog=RadioShack

I have come across a few more of these. I was told that only incandscent lights are supposed to be used with them.

HTH

Bob I
01-28-2004, 04:50 PM
Bob,

http://www.radioshack.ca/estore/category.aspx?language=en-CA&pagenum=1&category=Home+Automation&catalog=RadioShack

I have come across a few more of these. I was told that only incandscent lights are supposed to be used with them.

HTH

Which one :question: The link came up with a whole page of timers. If you are talking about the lamp timer with the dimmer, you are quite right. ANY ttimer with a dimmer built in should only used with incandescent lamps. Normal timers which act as a switch are fine.

Chad
01-28-2004, 05:03 PM

Last time I bought a bulb off the Internet and wasn't happy with it, the supplier gave me new one, no (hardly any) questions asked. I got a new bulb that did work fine and I was $0 in the hole. I buy lots off the Internet, and I've never had a problem.
Restocking for defective product seems a bit odd, no? Maybe it's just me :rolleyes:

Strange, at our company we pay to ship items back when they are defective. And we don't charge any restocking fee unless its an old old item that they just don't want anymore. The product is fine just they don't want it.

Things are getting interesting on this thread. :eek:

UnderWorldAquatics
01-28-2004, 06:02 PM
hmmmmm, not going to say that Im an electrical genieus or anything, but here is my experience with timers.....

cheap timer problems:
plug in ballast, bulb dosent always fire
plug in ballast, bulb fires, bulb soon goes out
plug in ballast, bulb fires, bulb flickers alot, not as bright as it should be
plug in ballast, bulb fires, bulb randomly goes off and on

When I changed to expensive timers I never have had any of these problems runiing them on the same power source...

So if you ask me, timers can make a difference in some way
mabey you found a cheap digital timer that did the trick for you, I didnt....
I found that the dial timers work fine too, but dont use them...

BCOrchidGuy
01-28-2004, 06:34 PM
Well, interesting thread, I'm a bit dumbfounded by some of the statements. Timers are simple on off switches, my understanding is the better the timer the more precise the timing for on/off cycles.
I've seen MH bulbs that burn really yellow as well, my first two both were a horrible yellow similar to the pic Bob posted, it took about two weeks, maybe even three but they eventually burned in and looked great.
I have no idea why one bulb of the same rating would burn blue and another that's supposed to be the same would burn yellow but if I had that happen and I was charged a stocking fee for sending them back as the manufacturer/distributor told me to do, I'd be on the war path.
Now as this little drama continues, it seems that J&L is the only one who's selling them locally and they say they are out of stock if you try to buy a bulb from them I'm assuming they want to get rid of their old stock of more expensive bulbs before they order in any more of the SA's.
A bargain is only a bargain if you can get it, and ONLY if the manufacturer/distributor stands behind their product 100% restocking charges should be saved for a purchase that someone decides they didn't really want the product they ordered, when there is a quality issue, the manufactuerer/distributor should be the one who pays the shipping etc.. hell it's a tax write off anyway.

Doug

venkiw
01-28-2004, 06:59 PM
This is the exact reason that we wanted dealers carrying the product, the only way we can validate a claim is by getting it in and testing at our end. With a dealer they may be able to validate them at their store/facility.

The bulb that was returned tested ok on our electronic ballast (this is our standard test procedure, as we cannot stock every ballast available in the market), and we just discarded the bulb and absored the loss.

I am new to the arena of customer service, but I am learning and changing things where I can.

It is a tax write-off sure but it is tacked on to the next customer who comes along.

BCOrchidGuy
01-28-2004, 07:08 PM
I'd love to see more stores carrying the product, sadly no other store I've spoken with has heard of SA bulbs or at least they aren't saying. I've phoned and asked if they carry them or plan on it, they all say, never heard of them, who makes em?
I've spent the better part of my life working in customer service related fields and I know it's not always easy to deal with people. However, if you can show the paying public you stand behind your product 100% then you'll build customer confidence much quicker.

Doug

venkiw
01-28-2004, 07:16 PM
I'd love to see more stores carrying the product, sadly no other store I've spoken with has heard of SA bulbs or at least they aren't saying. I've phoned and asked if they carry them or plan on it, they all say, never heard of them, who makes em?
I've spent the better part of my life working in customer service related fields and I know it's not always easy to deal with people. However, if you can show the paying public you stand behind your product 100% then you'll build customer confidence much quicker.

Doug

Kyle this one is for you...

LostMind
01-28-2004, 07:17 PM
Doug is on the money with that statement. Good customer service can seem like a pain and expensive in the startup phase of a new company, but it pays off in the long run.

venkiw
01-28-2004, 07:22 PM
We do stand behind our product, we conveyed the info to our manufacturing line when we first heard about a 175 watts 10K mishap (till date we are not able to reproduce this at our end, because the only bulb returned to us worked ok), who in turn contacted APL the supplier of the MH salts for most MH bulb manufacturers in the world based in Urbana, IL. They gauranteed that this was not something with the mixture used, we have also requested a 21 point quality check in the manufacturing line at additional cost, in addiiton to the ISO 9001 quality assurance program. May be it was an overhead that was not needed but we still absorbed it.

I don't know what more to say.

Also our sales has grown exponentailly and we do make every effort to satisfy our customers, but you'll also agree that it does not work always.

We aim for 100% satisfaction but I am not sure if there any prodcuts with a 100% satisfaction.

Venki

UnderWorldAquatics
01-28-2004, 07:51 PM
your local lower mainland aquarium supply retail outlets are being contacted at this time, soon our website will be up and running with a page listing retail outlets that are carrying our products. (Sun Aquatics bulbs & ballasts) When your local stores have been shipped product, you will know about it before they recive it. The wonders of the internet...

LostMind
01-28-2004, 08:41 PM
We do stand behind our product, we conveyed the info to our manufacturing line when we first heard about a 175 watts 10K mishap (till date we are not able to reproduce this at our end, because the only bulb returned to us worked ok), who in turn contacted APL the supplier of the MH salts for most MH bulb manufacturers in the world based in Urbana, IL. They gauranteed that this was not something with the mixture used, we have also requested a 21 point quality check in the manufacturing line at additional cost, in addiiton to the ISO 9001 quality assurance program. May be it was an overhead that was not needed but we still absorbed it.

I don't know what more to say.

Also our sales has grown exponentailly and we do make every effort to satisfy our customers, but you'll also agree that it does not work always.

We aim for 100% satisfaction but I am not sure if there any prodcuts with a 100% satisfaction.

Venki

Well, I think the above is excellent. People like to know they can get a quality product at a good price.

What I would have done in your position with the previous client who sent bulbs back to you, would have been to burn in a set of bulbs, ensure the colour quality was fine, and shipped out a new set. If the client wont accept a new set, I would apologise for his negative experience and refund all of his money. Charging a restocking fee and not refunding the shipping charges is like kickin the guy when he is down.

I do know a little bit about customer service and retention, I run a company in a fiercely competitive industry. We have been around since 2000 and plan to be around until the market is dead (hopefully a long ways ahead). We aren't the lowest priced option, so for us, customer service is the #1 factor in retaining our clients and acquiring all their business. It is also the only reason we acquire new clients - our satisfied clients refer their business partners and friends to us.

Anyways, as I have said several times, I think your product is good and your price excellent. If you had better distribution and a gentler hand when it comes to customer service, I think you have a formula for a long term, profitable business.

BCOrchidGuy
01-28-2004, 08:50 PM
Lost, I agree 99.99999999% Venkiw did say how ever that the bulbs worked on his end with their electronic Ballast (which isn't available to us yet). The customer however did use the recommended ballast when the problem occured. I don't think burning in a new set of bulbs would work but sending out a new pair before making the customer wait while they burn the bulbs in would have been satisfactory. If the customer still had a problem the blame could then be put on the ballast.(s)
One question I have is, did anyone recommend the customer move the bulbs to the other ballast.. IE Bulb A to ballast B and Bulb B to ballast A? Surely that would help determine if the problem were with the bulb or ballast, would it not?

Doug

UnderWorldAquatics
01-28-2004, 09:01 PM
Good points Doug^and Lost
We are working very hard to setup a good reliable distribution network, thing are being ironed out, we want distribition to be reliable, and efficent.... product availibility is just around the corner...

LostMind
01-28-2004, 09:08 PM
Sorry to hijack the thread bob :)

Quinn
01-28-2004, 10:21 PM
A restocking fee? :neutral: This is getting out of hand. You guys should have taken a few classes or at least some advice on how to run a business before jumping into this.

Chad
01-28-2004, 10:49 PM
A restocking fee? :neutral: This is getting out of hand. You guys should have taken a few classes or at least some advice on how to run a business before jumping into this.

hehe, "How to lose customers 101" :eek: I know at my office we bend over backwards for our customers.. its only under certain circumstances we charge a restocking fee..

UnderWorldAquatics
01-28-2004, 11:01 PM

this had nothing to do with us....
please "watch" your choice of words... thanks

Chad
01-28-2004, 11:04 PM

this had nothing to do with us....
please "watch" your choice of words... thanks

Your just a re-seller are you not? I don't think there is an issue with UnderWorldAquatics..

UnderWorldAquatics
01-28-2004, 11:06 PM
if anyone has a problem, question, or complaint, please call us at
(250)763-2098
we will be handling all west coast business relations...

UnderWorldAquatics
01-28-2004, 11:10 PM
Your just a re-seller are you not? I don't think there is an issue with UnderWorldAquatics..

We are the exclusive west coast distributor of Sun Aquatics products. All west coast business relations will now go through us at UnderWorld Aquatics

We have no knowledge of previous transactions....

We will be making customer satisfaction #1 as we do with other avenues of or business.

newreefy
01-28-2004, 11:55 PM
In response to weather or not I tried the bulbs with the different ballasts......I did. I also let venki know this. I am not doubting venki that the bulbs worked fine on his electronic ballast but the point is that I verified that they would work on my magnetic pulse starts ballasts before I bought them. And well they didn't along with other people’s non electronic-ballasts. The reason I let the restocking fee slide initially was i was just so frustrated with the whole thing. Now I look at this and realize how weird the whole thing is. I am not trying to turn people away from sun aquatics....just let them know about the situations with the 175w bulbs and the unseen disclaimer(about tar ballasts)......and the return policy! From what I hear the 250w and 400w bulbs seem to be impressive. I guess I am just one of those suckers that gets scr**ed.

BCOrchidGuy
01-29-2004, 01:25 AM
Sadly you may be but it sits as an example for everyone else who is or was considering trying the bulbs out. I'm not impressed, at this point I think he should be shipping you out two bulbs and forget about who did what or that they worked on his equipment... Satisfy the customer, period.

Doug

PS this seriously damages the reputation of Sun Aquatics in my opinion, a make up gift of two bulbs to the customer would surely help restore some of the damage but not all of it.... Kyle you may be the distributor but you're in a bit of a hornets nest now, like it or not, someone has to do something.

StirCrazy
01-29-2004, 01:50 AM
if anyone has a problem, question, or complaint, please call us at
(250)763-2098
we will be handling all west coast business relations...

So if I have a problem with the 6 bulbs I bought am I suposed to contact you? I sent my money to venkiw and that is who i will continue to deal with on my purchases prior to you. after all if there was a defective bulb how would you reinburse me monies that I never paied you? I understand you want to let people know you are the new source of the bulbs, but the seller was Venkiw when a lot of people bought them operating under sun aquatics and that is the vendor we still have a right to deal with, not "Kyle's fishtank cleaning service" or "Joe's tank repair" or J&L, or Underworldaquatics.

Steve

UnderWorldAquatics
01-29-2004, 02:13 AM
I understand what your saying Steve, I just want customers to feel free to contact us with any questions or concerns on Sun Aquatics products. As a distributor network is being setup, Sun Aquatics products will be distributed through UnderWorld Aquatics for BC, WA, OR, and CA...
If you are located in the mentioned regions, Underworld Aquatics will be handling customer service from know on... Im very sure that everyone will be satisified with our level of customer service, unsatisfactory situations will be rectified as best as we can........

Again, please feel free to contact UnderWorld Aquatics (250)763-2098

Aquattro
01-29-2004, 02:26 PM
Guys, can we keep this thread about comparing the pictures? Vendor rating and announcements have separate forums, thanks! :biggrin:

venkiw
02-14-2004, 01:38 AM
Guys,

The day I received the bulb from bob, one of my repeat buyer wanted a 175 watts 10K. I was out of stock at the time but he was so desparate for a bulb that he asked me if I had any returned bulbs (I normally discard them). Bob's bulbs just arrived that day so I told him as such, and gave them to him at 50% price.

Sent the bulb the same day to the client, he now has three bulbs 175 watts 10k on his system with TAR ballast.

Response from cleint:

The bulbs are all working fine and he sent me a note indicating his satisfaction with the prodcut and the he would recommend our products to anyone looking for a bulb.

Venki

PS:- I have since refunded the money to Bob the entire amount he paid to the original buyer.

BCOrchidGuy
02-14-2004, 02:30 AM
So, what are you saying, Bob's wrong? or maybe you mean, Bob's equipment is faulty? Or maybe you're trying to say, "it's not my fault"? either way I don't see this as a post that would ecourage me to buy your bulbs. On the contrary. I see this as a grasp to point a finger.
Bob had a problem or an issue, you refunded his payment (YEAH perfect) but now you're telling us that someone else with a TAR ballast is running Bobs old bulb and it's working fine. If you aren't trying to say what I've thought you were, please enlighten us.
I'm glad I've seen you post this and vendors thing where you ask us if this is anyway to do business. You'd think by now you would have seen that nothing gets past us for long. Someone else would have brought that up and said, wow isn't this guy a dork but instead you did and you made yourself look rather small and unprofessional, I'll thing twice about trying to save a buck on lights.

Doug

venkiw
02-14-2004, 12:50 PM
Doug,

I was not trying to point a finger at anyone, I was just trying to bring closure to this situation. I didn't mean to offend anyone.

I get emails, and posts on other boards about the 175 watts 10K bulb being defective, unfortunately this spreads like wild fire. Even I was convinced that the products were somehow mislabelled when I first heard the reports on reef central, which is ultimately costing me 4000$ more on my next batch of bulbs for additional quality assurance.

It is frustrating when all of the 4 - 175 watts 10 bulbs that were deemed defective by the buyer as "pee yellow" and returned have all worked fine both on TAR and Electronic ballasts. I am even at a lack of words to explain what is going on as it is puzzling.

While I agree that there may be a few TAR ballasts in the market that may not be compatible with the 175 watts 10K bulb. Or the ballast may be defective as well as, which we cannot rule out.

After all this effort we still don't know what is causing the problem. Having spent 4000$ on this issue and still not finding a solution is frustrating as well. I guess I vented out my frustration, and didn't mean to offend anybody - I repeat.

Venki

Bob I
02-15-2004, 12:55 AM
I hate to continue this thread, but I must. The bulbs as far as I recall were advertised as working on any ballast. I admitted to Venki by way of a PM (which has not been picked up BTW) that I appear to have an oddball ballast. It is a BritePro 175W ballast that is supposed to run a 175W MH bulb, or a 175W Mercury Vapour bulb. It is a brand new Cap & Coil ballast. When I ran the SA bulb, the colour was pee yellow, and the ballast ran quite cool indicating the bulb was not firing properly. The colour originally was great, but only lasted for a few hours. At this point in time I am running an old AB bulb. I am getting 15,000 lux at the bottom of the tank, which seems quite respectable. Yes Venki has put $40.00 into my Pay Pal account, which I don't know what to do with, as I have never used Pay Pal, but I am sure I can use it somehow.

I am not blaming anyone, but I am trying to inform other folks who have purchased 175W bulb from Venki that I am having some problems.This forum is great, as we are not isolated in our problems, but are able to inform other people of the problems we are experiencing. In that way we are united, and perhaps we can cure the problems before they spread. :rolleyes:

EmilyB
02-15-2004, 12:59 AM
It reminds me of an old saying....

"Fools rush in." :razz:

Anyway, the wrong ballast will make any 10kk bulb look yellow ime.

Bob I
02-15-2004, 01:03 AM
Anyway, the wrong ballast will make any 10kk bulb look yellow ime.

That is probably correct. However, the bulbs were advertised to work on ANY ballast, and works fine with the AB bulb. :rolleyes:

As I have said a number of times, the function of a ballast is to act as a current limiting device. It appears that my ballast would not allow the correct amount of current to develop. In that way it is possible the Venki bulb was unable to develop the correct level of current to fire properly.

In that respect it might be wise for the bulb distributor to amend his advertising to state that the bulb will function properly on ballast he has tried. He might also list those ballasts, and also state that it may not work on some ballasts.

I would think that would be a good compromise. :eek: