PDA

View Full Version : ASM G2 overkill?

dc4
08-05-2011, 12:51 AM
Hey guys, I know usually the bigger the better but would a ASM G2 be overkill for a 72g tank with a 20g sump? I am upgrading from a 29g and the 72g is waiting for my r/o water to fill my reserve. Reason I ask is that it takes up about 60% of my sump area and with my pump in there, there is no room for anything else like a fuge. Would I benefit more from the the ASM or would setting up a fuge with chaeto and dsb be better as I want the extra pods for my mandarin (who also eats blood worms) while using a skimmer that does not have such a large surface area.

whatcaneyedo
08-05-2011, 04:17 AM
I think that could be a good size skimmer for that tank depending on how you stock it. I personally wouldn't go with something smaller but thats just my preference. At one time I had a G3 on my 120gal (150gal system at the time). When paired with a filter stock the G3 handled my tank well.

dc4
08-05-2011, 05:02 AM
I think that could be a good size skimmer for that tank depending on how you stock it. I personally wouldn't go with something smaller but thats just my preference. At one time I had a G3 on my 120gal (150gal system at the time). When paired with a filter stock the G3 handled my tank well.

I guess ill just grab a cheapo plastic tank and make a small fuge out of that...

whatcaneyedo
08-05-2011, 01:08 PM
If you really want a refugium in your sump you could also get an external skimmer.