PDA

View Full Version : Bariene Tang

phar
08-04-2011, 12:12 AM
I have a Bariene Tang that's been kind of blah the last week. He's only about 3 inches long. I have had him for about a month now.
The only thing he's eating is seaweed sheets that I put in the tank. When I drop in fish food he'll swim up to it but never eat it. He's not actively grazing either which is unusual for any tang.
He had a nick on his upper lip but that is healing up.
The last two days, he's having some sort of seizure every once in a while. The fish is definitely stressed. I'm not sure if I should put him in quarantine and give it a round of medication.
I really don't want to rip apart my display to get the little fish out of there... anyone know a trick for catching a fish without a trap?
Thoughts?

BlueTang<3
08-04-2011, 03:11 AM
Tangs do not usually do well in quarantine. Soak the nori in vitamins and garlic and feed often, if the fish is larthagic it is likely got a disease. I have had fish twitch before with ich but usually its worse, keep feeding him regularly and try to eliminate as much stress as possible. Avoid frequently walking up to check on it and i would defiantly say avoid trying to catch it.

naesco
08-04-2011, 05:17 AM
I have a Bariene Tang that's been kind of blah the last week. He's only about 3 inches long. I have had him for about a month now.
The only thing he's eating is seaweed sheets that I put in the tank. When I drop in fish food he'll swim up to it but never eat it. He's not actively grazing either which is unusual for any tang.
He had a nick on his upper lip but that is healing up.
The last two days, he's having some sort of seizure every once in a while. The fish is definitely stressed. I'm not sure if I should put him in quarantine and give it a round of medication.
I really don't want to rip apart my display to get the little fish out of there... anyone know a trick for catching a fish without a trap?
Thoughts?

I would remove the tang as you have noticed the tang declining. This fish will grow quickly to over a foot and you have it in a tank less than half the minimum required for a fish of this size. It is eating nori but it needs film algae. Have you kept at least one side of your tank "dirty" so it can eat the algae?
There is no simple solution. You will have to carefully remove the live rock so that you do not stress the fish any further.
Do not medicate the fish.

If you decide to keep the fish do exactly what blue tang recommends and start now to plan for your new tank.
Good luck

Gripenfelter
08-04-2011, 03:26 PM
Put a large fish net in the tank with the handle leaning against the glass and the net opening itself about 3-4" away from the glass. Place seaweed sheet inside the net. When he comes to eat the sea weed, snag him.