PDA

View Full Version : LF Seahorses, Edmonton area.

Jeff000
08-03-2011, 04:39 AM
Looking for a pair or two pair of nice small Seahorses, the more color the better.
Can't seem to find any anywhere.

Thanks,

Jeff

rayjay
08-03-2011, 01:46 PM
Coloured seahorses change colour when placed in new surroundings. Don't pay extra for colour.
Seldom do the seahorses remain the same colour for long, and many people for many years have been trying to effect a change of colour in their seahorses only to fail. Sometimes ones you buy turn out much more colourful after you've had them a short time.
The smaller the seahorse is when you buy it, the less chance of success you have as their attrition rate is greatest when they are four to five months old and less.

Jeff000
08-03-2011, 09:57 PM
Thanks for the info.
I guess just looking for seahorses. lol.
By small I mean the ones that stay smaller.

Link in your sig was great. Thanks.

rayjay
08-03-2011, 11:33 PM
Unfortunately, there are few to none of the smaller types of seahorse like H. fuscus available in Canada, and indeed, even North America.
If you want real small there are dwarfs (H. zosterae) available from time to time but they need live enriched bbs several times daily and can't be converted successfully to frozen of any kind.

Jeff000
08-04-2011, 01:37 AM
What kind of seahorse do you think would be my best bet?
I will try for a H. Fuscus, but what option is most feasible?

And what are the chances of keeping a pair of clowns with seahorses? 14g tank.

Thanks,

rayjay
08-04-2011, 02:53 AM
Well being that there are some true captive bred H. reidi being brought into Canada from Aquamarine International, I'm partial to those. Places like Blue World Aquatic in Edmonton bring them in.
Almost all the remainder are tank raised, which means they should be put through a 9 week 3 drug protocol to deworm them as the water they are bred and raised in hasn't been sufficiently filtered and treated to remove the inherent pathogens.
I've given up on trying to get a store to bring me in some dwarfs and erectus so I'm paying to import an order of 50 of each and will sell off the extras at cost once they are here.
If you find H. fuscus let me know as people all over the North American continent have been looking for some.
You obviously haven't read the links at the bottom of the "My Thoughts" link in my signature or you would have known that the minimum recommended tank size for ONE pair of standard seahorses is 29g with 15g more for each additional pair. Any COMPATIBLE fish added would require even more room.
Tankmates DO NOT include any clownfish, although occasionally it has been done depending on the temperment of the clowns.

intarsiabox
08-04-2011, 04:41 AM
I wouldn't recommend any other fish with small seahorses, they will lose out every feeding time. I have a small seahorse that has been about the size of a toonie for a year now and the frozen shrimp I feed him has to be at a standstill before he eats no. No pumps or filters on.

rayjay
08-04-2011, 01:41 PM
What species is your seahorse?
If it's H. comes, it will most likely be very slow growing.
If it's H. reidi, it may be a runt.
Try making a blended enrichment with water and Dan's Feed from seahorsesource.com and enrich medium to adult brine shrimp, feeding about 3 times a week. Sometimes it's a nutritional delay of growth.

intarsiabox
08-04-2011, 11:44 PM
What species is your seahorse?
If it's H. comes, it will most likely be very slow growing.
If it's H. reidi, it may be a runt.
Try making a blended enrichment with water and Dan's Feed from seahorsesource.com and enrich medium to adult brine shrimp, feeding about 3 times a week. Sometimes it's a nutritional delay of growth.

Not really sure on the species (but they were only $30), it's normally very dark brown but can lighten to an almost golden color sometimes. I target feed it with a syringe with enriched brine shrimp daily just enough until he stops searching for the food. I tried mysis but he had a hard time swallowing it and wouldn't touch it after a few days of trying. I'll look into Dan's Feed for more nutrition for the little guy. Thanks!

Jeff000
08-06-2011, 11:01 PM
The seahorses are for my GF, she is very determined that she is in the couple percent of people that can do things most fail at.