PDA

View Full Version : Torch coral not doing so hot

CandyCane
08-03-2011, 04:32 AM
This is one of the first corals I ever got. It started off in my little 2 gal fluval spec and was doing great for about 4-5 months when I had a learning experience but also a tank crash. I moved it into my boyfriends 30gal which it began to recover again however he moved everything of his into his new tank and it crashed because of silicone poisoning. My torch is now back with me in my new 20gal which ever coral I have is doing amazing in but my torch is recovering horribly.

I'll post pictures tomorrow when the lights are on but basically its reseading into its tubes and it looks horrible. Tenticals are usually never visable however it is still alive.

Does anyone have idea's on how to help it possibly recover?

lastlight
08-03-2011, 04:34 AM
What exactly happened with the silicone? His corals looked to be doing ok in his thread?

CandyCane
08-03-2011, 04:43 AM
They all recovered in my tank while he carbon dosed and water changed his tuns. He used a fungus killing silicone in his sump that would have been fine if he had let it soak for 24hrs but he hooked it up right away and just about killed all his corals. His 2 GBTA didnt make it and neither did his toadstool.

lastlight
08-03-2011, 04:53 AM
Ouch. Well water quality should be good (goes without saying). Also I think too much light while it recovers would be pretty bad. A little on the low side is always better than too much especially if it's stressed already.

CandyCane
08-03-2011, 04:57 AM
BTW it is the torch in my display pic... wish it still looked that good

Okay I'll try moving it down, low or medium flow? Also any suppliments? It used to love meaty foods but now I cant get it to eat

lastlight
08-03-2011, 05:10 AM
I've never had a torch but I'm thinking of my frogspawn. It seems to prefer low - med flow. At least it extends much further under that type of flow and I suspect the torch may be similar.

Cugio
08-03-2011, 01:31 PM
I like to keep my torch on the ground in a cavern. It doesn't get as much light but sure does grow fast. I wouldn't bother feeding it and just leave it alone until it heals.

ReefOcean
08-06-2011, 10:51 AM
Torches and hammers recover slowly. If they get internal tissue damage (the root tissue at the base of the exoskeleton) they can be hard to revive. I speak from experience.

Just a little point of advice too... for the future. If it doesn't come from the ocean, don't put it in the tank. If you need it in your tank, and it doesn't come from the ocean, pay the extra money and buy the overpriced-specialty-made-for-saltwater-aquariums equipment, resins and silicone.

I remember seeing a video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRh0XOBE1wA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

I would sooner clean my eyes with bleach, before cleaning my fake rockwork with it. No dice. I'll pass. :lol:

CandyCane
08-07-2011, 07:28 PM
Ya if it was my tank I would have. I agree.

Ever since I moved the torch to a cavern its been doing worse, I dont get how to fix this it's not making sense

scherzo
08-07-2011, 08:57 PM
Ya if it was my tank I would have. I agree.

Ever since I moved the torch to a cavern its been doing worse, I dont get how to fix this it's not making sense

I would just wait it out.. It may have absorbed the nasty stuff from the mildew resistant poisoning. It takes a long time before it even show signs of it getting better. Possibly 6 months! Mine took about 8-10 months before it started to look like it was coming back.