PDA

View Full Version : RO Unit Low PSI

Maverick00
08-03-2011, 02:52 AM
I recently purchased the vertex puratek ro unit. Ive found out unfortunately I only have 21psi of incoming water pressure. Ive read water quality can go down and the amount of waster water can sky rocket. Until i get a booster pump will running the unit at 21psi damage or ruin any of the filters?

BlueTang<3
08-03-2011, 03:52 AM
Does the vertex ro not have a booster pump?

Maverick00
08-03-2011, 04:25 AM
i wish...not the model i bought anyway... I believe vertex does sell a booster pump though, there was non available at the moment (LFS).

mike31154
08-03-2011, 06:14 AM
What's your water source, city or well? If city, check your plumbing for a pressure reducing valve. Should be just downstream of the main water shutoff for your house. It might be adjustable to get you a higher pressure.

Not sure about running your unit at such a low pressure. Probably no damage, but your output will be agonizingly slow and probably somewhat inefficient. 21 psi is pretty pathetic for pressure if it's from the city.

Maverick00
08-04-2011, 01:33 AM
Yeah im going to have to look for that mike. Its actually in a group of newly developed townhouses running on city water. Im not sure i have access to a pressure regulator, all i could find so far was a main water shutoff in the garage, thats it.

mike31154
08-04-2011, 02:53 AM
Hmm, townhouse, yeah, the PRV might be in someone elses unit depending on how the housing blocks are set up. I was in a 3 unit townhouse in Ottawa for 13 years and there was no individual metering, so the water rates were included in the strata fees. Most of the blocks had 5 units. I reckon I was subsidizing the larger families & anal car washers that were using a lot more water than I. But I digress, if you haven't identified a PRV not far downstream from the shut off valve you found, a booster pump might be your only option in the end. Unless you can get the complex manager/maintainer to crank up the pressure. There's more than likely a regulator somewhere.

Aquattro
08-04-2011, 03:15 AM
21psi is ridiculous, insist that they boost it up! We have about 130psi in town (I'm at sea level), but if you're up Triangle Mountain, I would expect at least 90!!

Maverick00
08-04-2011, 04:02 AM
21psi is ridiculous, insist that they boost it up! We have about 130psi in town (I'm at sea level), but if you're up Triangle Mountain, I would expect at least 90!!

Yeah so ive been hearing, ARGH! I found the water meter and another shutoff just back from it. There is also a box with wires going to it from the water meter located just under the cement cover of the access hole. Im assuming its a device that gives meter information without having to open the access hole. No sign of a PRV. Maybe ill call the CRD or Contractor tomorrow and see what i can find out. Im renting the townhouse at the moment so im not sure how that comes into play either since water is included in the monthly rent.