PDA

View Full Version : Stocking suggestions for 135gal

shootingstar
08-03-2011, 12:46 AM
Well we are very close to having the 135 up and running. Will be combining the 60 and the 29 into it at set up.

Not much in the way of fish is making the move over so it is time to start planning the stocking list as I will have to order them in.

Looking for suggestions.

Making the move over (existing fish) will be:

Sailfin tang
Tomato Clown
2 x blue green cromis
Pink spot goby
Flame Firefish

Not at all sure I want to do a bunch of tangs.

Would like suggestion's on a "harem" fish.

Thinking about maybe doing a flame/coral beauty/potter's/and either a bicolour or lemon peel collection of dwarf angels instead of a tang collection.

Tank is a 6-footer and will be mixed reef.

In addition to your suggested list please add your opinion on order of introduction.

Thanks much in advance for suggestions.

Cathy

The Grizz
08-03-2011, 04:49 AM
Hey Cathy, don't mean to jack your thread but I was wondering what you did for a sump?

Reef23
08-03-2011, 05:38 AM
Hey Cathy, don't mean to jack your thread but I was wondering what you did for a sump?

I vote for a harem of lyretail anthias

shootingstar
08-03-2011, 12:02 PM

Hey Grizz, no problem, since this was evolving to be the schleprock build from hell I just went with a 50 gal tank for now. Can swap it out at a later date.

shootingstar
08-03-2011, 12:09 PM
I vote for a harem of lyretail anthias

Thanks for the suggestion, I've always been very fond of anthias, just was a bit concerned about the "multiple feedings per day" requirement.

The Grizz
08-03-2011, 04:05 PM
Well I have 6 BG Chromis that like to stay together & 5 tangs / 1 scribbled rabbit thet like to stay together on the other side of the tank from the BGC. But I too would lean more to the Anthias if you want nice soft color but don't want Tang. I would be concerned about Angels just incase they start to nip at your coral. I do have a Coral Beauty that have been in my tank for well over a year, model citizen. What about a pack of different but compatible wrasse's?

ponokareefer
08-03-2011, 04:49 PM
I would avoid the dwarf angels if you are going for a mixed reef. They can start to pick on anything at any point in time. Good luck getting them out at that time.

As for a harem of fish, the best ones are Longspine Cardinalfish. Marine Aquaria has a harem of them if you are interested in seeing what they look like in person. Anthias can be very tricky to keep alive and healthy. If you do add cardinals, I would put them in first.

As Grizz pointed out, multiple different wrasse's are very colorfull, usually peacefull and quite active. You will need a covered top with what you are adding anyway. These could be added after cardinals, if you go that route. You could also add a midas blenny and a royal gramma at the same time.

You could look at some of the smaller type of tangs, but that sailfin is going to look really big after a while. Yellow, purple, kole, chocolate, or scopas tangs should work. I would add tangs last.

Gripenfelter
08-03-2011, 07:21 PM
I would throw in a sand sifting goby in the mix to keep the sand stirred.

lastlight
08-03-2011, 07:28 PM
I would throw in a sand sifting goby in the mix to keep the sand stirred.

Yeah a pair of diamond watchmen would be very useful to you.

A sailfin would be far too large. Without trying to get all ethical it would at the very least upset the visual balance the tank has with its size I think.

shootingstar
08-03-2011, 08:17 PM
Quick clarification!
re the sailfin & some comments made in thread and pm's received.

the display tank is 6 foot 135g
the sump is a 50g

I would never put a sailfin in a 50g.

lastlight
08-03-2011, 08:25 PM
Yeah I wasn't intending to lecture you on that part of it that. I actually just mean an adult sailfin is going to dwarf your reef as a whole =)

ponokareefer
08-03-2011, 09:28 PM
I was refering to it being in a 135 gallon as well, not the 50. They are huge fish.

fishytime
08-03-2011, 09:59 PM
Quick clarification!
re the sailfin & some comments made in thread and pm's received.

the display tank is 6 foot 135g
the sump is a 50g

I would never put a sailfin in a 50g.

a sailfin gets to be the size of a large dinner plate:surprise:......really one of those fish better suited to a truly big tank.....

as far as the anthias go......best just to get one if your gonna try one.......someone posted a link to an article on anthia behavior in another thread and I cant seem to find it now, but the gist of it was.......that in the wild they develop a complex social hierarchy comprised of alpha males defending territories, trying to "harem" as many females as they can into their territory......the females also have a pecking order amongst themselves...... these behaviors coupled with the confines of an aquarium equals a very stressful environment.....that and then there is their feeding requirements......and their need for extremely good water quality........whew!!!!.....a very difficult fish to maintain long term.....

cardinals make a good grouping fish choice but they tend to not like bright light too much, so in some cases they stick to overhangs and caves and not do too much swimming about the tank

how bout a group of dartfish/ gudgeons......added first

Reef23
08-04-2011, 09:59 AM
I see you have a 135G tank is it custom ?
What are the dimensions

shootingstar
08-04-2011, 12:10 PM
I see you have a 135G tank is it custom ?
What are the dimensions

Yes it was custom built as the DT for a LFS 4 years ago.
I am second owner.

It is 72 x 18 x 24.

When I received, it had corner overflows with durso's and looked like this

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb211/shootingstar2_photos/Aquarium%20upgrade/DSC03992.jpg

It now looks like this (back view)

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb211/shootingstar2_photos/Aquarium%20upgrade/DSC04157.jpg

Little bit more plumbing to get done this weekend and then we will run final FW test.

cathy