PDA

View Full Version : Rio 1400?

Red Snapper
01-27-2004, 01:56 AM
Will a Rio 1400 (375gph) be too strong for a Remora skimmer (not the Pro)? I know they are usually equipped with a maxi-jet 1200.

ron101
01-27-2004, 02:16 AM
Assuming you already have the pump the easiest way to find out is to try.

You could also send an email to Aqua-C, they will likely give you an answer but may take a few days.

I upgraded my Remora Pro from a Rio1400 to a Mag5. Two mods were required. I had to zip-tie the connection tube tighter cause of it blowing off under the greater pressure. Second I had to half the thickness of the foam pad in the return side of the pre skimmer to accomodate the greater flow.

ree-fready
01-27-2004, 03:11 AM
is it not the rio pumps that are failing? search r.c. for threads about them. it wasn`t good news when they calved. i`m pretty sure it was rio. the results were quite often a wipeout and some extremely p oed reefers. you might want to check this out. :eek:

Red Snapper
01-27-2004, 04:06 AM
Thanks,

I'll either go with the maxi-jet 1200 or mag 250. The mag should be alright at 250gph?

Quinn
01-27-2004, 04:20 AM
The whole Rio fiasco is turning into a bit of a joke. There's a marathon thread now on RC from some guy who wants to file a class-action lawsuit. Rios may fail more than other pumps, who knows for sure, regardless they are less expensive and you generally get what you pay for. I have one running my skimmer. I clean it once every few months. Jonathan had it before me and who knows who had it before that. It works fine except I have to bang it to get it started again after cleaning it. If it explodes I guess I've been warned.

StirCrazy
01-27-2004, 05:19 AM
I don't think it is so much that they fail more than other pumps, but rather because of there construction when they do fail they leak the black goo of death. also there was some mention of them not being grounded but I think thoes ones wouldent be able to be sold in canada.

Steve

Canadian Man
01-27-2004, 05:57 AM
I don't think it is so much that they fail more than other pumps, but rather because of there construction when they do fail they leak the black goo of death. also there was some mention of them not being grounded but I think thoes ones wouldent be able to be sold in canada.

Steve

I had some MJ 1200's a few years ago that were not grounded. They are now though

StirCrazy
01-27-2004, 01:09 PM
mine are all grounded. they have to be now to get CSA aproval for use in water.

Steve

BCOrchidGuy
01-28-2004, 09:06 PM
My little Rio 600 has a thicker cable than my Mag 3

Doug

ps for lack of controversy, use the MJ it's nice and small and it's a good price.

Doug