PDA

View Full Version : What to do with the back of the new tank???

tony_3a
08-01-2011, 08:04 AM
Hey guys, i recently got a 6 foot 120 gallon tank and I am wondering should i paint the back black? Blue? or just leave it bare, To be honest I am split between the 3! I have no clue what way to go!

Thanks for your time!

Ps if it makes any difference I am going to have sand with a sand sifting diamond goby.

Myka
08-01-2011, 02:11 PM
What kind of overflow do you have? Internal or external? What color is the overflow?

jon.smolders
08-01-2011, 03:21 PM
I've been trying to decide the same thing with my tank... I've had it bare for the last 9 months and kinda like the extra depth and brightness it seems to give it. But I hate looking at the overflow/return lines and power chords. I thought of getting some black or blue acrylic pieces to slide between back of the tank and the overflow/return pipes to hide everything, but it still might give it more "depth" because it wouldn't be right up against the glass. Hard to explain w/o seeing my setup I guess, but it's an idea I've been tossing around. It would be easy to clean then too... just slide the acrylic pieces out and wipe everything down.

Oh, and if you go for blue, I think either a really really light blue (almost white) or a really dark blue. Don't go for that ugly bright blue you see so often... IMHO :)

fishytime
08-01-2011, 03:31 PM
Im the kinda guy that thinks your time and money should be spent elsewhere......so I usually use a vinyl background......your rockwork will hide the majority of the back of the tank and what doesnt get covered will cover over with coraline algae(unless your religious about cleaning the back glass)......that being said, Ive thought about doing white on the new tank.....we used white on all the tanks at the new shop and it really reflects light and makes colors pop....

Myka
08-01-2011, 03:32 PM
Difficult to take pics with a white background though Doug.

monocus
08-01-2011, 04:16 PM
on some of my small tanks i have used a placticized wrapping paper in blue or green.goes on fast with some clear tape and you can change the colour if you dont like it or get bored

tony_3a
08-01-2011, 04:18 PM
What kind of overflow do you have? Internal or external? What color is the overflow?
It has 2 internal overflows in the corners and they are black.

lastlight
08-01-2011, 04:23 PM
I don't care what colour you go with as long as it's black ;)

I was religious about cleaning my back but it's tough now because I have been forced to mount new coral to the back. That messes with my scraping access.

Myka
08-01-2011, 04:37 PM
It has 2 internal overflows in the corners and they are black.

Ah ok. Well black would be a good choice just to blend in with the overflows then. I like it to all be one color.

The Grizz
08-01-2011, 05:22 PM
Paint the back black jack, I mean Tony :biggrin:. I really like the black, my 8'er is blue and I think it takes away from the color of the coral & fish in my tank.

cwatkins
08-01-2011, 06:14 PM
I agree. I wouldn't go blue again. I may even change it to black one day if I can successfully peel the blue off with 4 inches of room to the wall.

tony_3a
08-01-2011, 06:39 PM
Ok I think I have decided on black, new question what paint to use and where to get it?

viperfish
08-01-2011, 06:53 PM
Krylon is definitely the best, you can buy it anywhere. For the best result, pick up some rubbing alcohol and wipe the surface to be painted.

MKLKT
08-01-2011, 07:23 PM
Personally the next DT that I make I'm gonna do the spray-foam rock wall on the back, I think that'd be the best while hiding different powerheads/overflows.

intarsiabox
08-01-2011, 11:03 PM
Ok I think I have decided on black, new question what paint to use and where to get it?

You can just tape on a black vinyl (same stuff as the back drop material you buy in pet stores) back drop to the rear pane of glass. It's easier than masking, painting and scraping.

viperfish
08-02-2011, 01:22 AM
You can just tape on a black vinyl (same stuff as the back drop material you buy in pet stores) back drop to the rear pane of glass. It's easier than masking, painting and scraping.

That's all good until you get salt creep between the vinyl and the glass. That would look like crap.

tony_3a
08-02-2011, 02:39 AM
That's all good until you get salt creep between the vinyl and the glass. That would look like crap.

That is what happened with my blue background and it does not look to hot, so thats why I plan to paint it. And he had a black background on it that was peeling in some places so i had to scrape about 80 percent of the back wall off, so I know all about how much of a pain in the ass it is!!

cwatkins
08-02-2011, 02:52 AM
Just go to home depot and get a $5 tinted sample in the colour of your choice.

intarsiabox
08-02-2011, 04:24 AM

Just run clear tape along the edges and no salt creep in two years. Peeling paint, areas that didn't get painted opaque enough and a color you hate is what looks like crap to me. And if there is a plastic frame on the tank it tucks tightly between it and the glass as well with no salt creep. I painted my last tank and regretted it, but to each their own.