PDA

View Full Version : Little Giant pump comparisons.

Doug
06-20-2002, 10:45 AM
Like I mentioned in the skimmer thread, the way to compare is to run both. smile.gif

I just purchased a Little Giant 3MDQXSC from Marc. Good looking pump by the way Marc. Thanks. I currently run a 3MDQSC. Its pretty noisy because its fan cooled,{IMO, a nice option}. Of course like beauty is in the eye of the beholder, noise is in the ear of the beholder :D We all have different opinions on whats noisy or not. ;)

So I hooked it up yesterday. I thinks its just as noisy as the other model. So the pump hum is the same, regardless of the fan, it appears. It does pump more volume for sure, very nice, but appears thats a problem for myself.

As we had a flaw in the overflow walls and it has a leak, when pumps are off, tank runs into overflow and down to the sump. Of course it would take a long time to overflow, but. I did not feel like shutting it down, so left it. I run straight stacks in the overflow. No duraso is possible here. Funny thing is, the amount of water put in by the pressure model, seems to be the correct amount to prevent the air sucking noise. :eek: The new pump, with its more flow, makes my overflows sound like a sewer in a heavy rainstorm. :D

Anywho, guess I will switch back to the other pump today. I will find another use for the larger pump or sell it. Hope all this babble is not to long winded. Just my views on different model pumps.

Troy F
06-20-2002, 11:37 AM
Doug, can you do the Stockman stand pipe?

Doug
06-20-2002, 11:52 AM
Troy;
Those mods, like the Duraso, will lower the overflows water level. This is what my straight stacks keep up, so its not draining any excess water into the sump. I was worried about water drain during a power outage. :(

Troy F
06-20-2002, 12:27 PM
Gotcha.

stephane
06-20-2002, 06:35 PM
Doug I silent my overflow just by insering a 3/8 16 inch long tube cap it then made a small holle
and then make in bigger until I found the ballance no more glou glou prfectly silent

Doug
06-20-2002, 06:43 PM
I already plumbed the pressure model 3MD back in as the main pump.

BUT, :D , I plumbed the other on a closed loop. Gotta catch up to Darren. :D

SuperFudge
06-20-2002, 08:18 PM
Doug,

I thought noise wouldnt even be comparable,as my two versions are not even close,bummer.

Either way i would be happy to refund your money Doug.

Marc.

Doug
06-20-2002, 10:02 PM
Thanks Marc, but thats fine. I will try it on a closed loop. If not, it will be a spare or perhaps sell it.

Now that my 3MD is running again, its actually quieter than before. :confused:

The pumps dont bother my wife or myself or the dogs, :D , Its only if we have excess company staying in the rec room. I have set it all up to be flexable. Of course the closed loop can be shut off if its bothering someone and I have a 800 PH also plumbed from the sump to the tank. If I have guests in the rec room, I can shut one or both Little Giants down over night. :D

Going to fire the closed loop up tomm.

DJ88
06-20-2002, 10:13 PM
mmm closed loop.. :D

that is one sweet sounding tank Doug.

Wish you were closer.. I'd love to drool over it. ;)

ps.. can't catch me.. ;)

Doug
06-21-2002, 11:57 AM
Ahhhhhhh, water movement.

http://dlowey.homestead.com/files/DCP00808.jpg

[ 21 June 2002, 08:01: Message edited by: Doug ]

Doug
06-22-2002, 08:52 AM
Dang closed loop is suckin air somewhere. I know what todays job is.