PDA

View Full Version : Planning to get a new stand alone triple dosing pump...

Rice Reef
08-01-2011, 04:51 AM
Hi All,

Happy BC Day to everyone:biggrin::biggrin:! I am planning to get a new stand alone dosing pump around Christmas and I am looking for some recommendations from the reef gurus out there on Canreef. I am willing to pay the money for a good and reliable pump that is easy to use and does not require one to read a 200 page manual. Hope you can share your experience (both good and bad).

Many thanks!

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

fishytime
08-01-2011, 04:57 AM
profilux........easy to set up, easy to adjust, and the reliability is second to none

Rice Reef
08-01-2011, 05:01 AM
profilux........easy to set up, easy to adjust, and the reliability is second to none

What is the maintenance like with Profilux? and do you recommend using check valves? Do you dose anything else regularly besides CA, Mag and Alk?

Thanks!

fishytime
08-01-2011, 05:29 AM
I have a two pump unit and I dosed Ca and DKH 24 times a day.....Mg is not needed near as often so I just manually dosed that.....I often thought of and have heard of people dosing a diluted phyto/ coral food type mixture through one pump......the lines are just air line so I just replace those when I think to and you can clean the pumps by running vinegar and water through them(same goes for any pump).....all you have to do to prevent back-siphoning is keep the pump outlets above the water line, no check valves needed..... well worth the coin IMO

Rice Reef
08-01-2011, 05:36 AM
I have a two pump unit and I dosed Ca and DKH 24 times a day.....Mg is not needed near as often so I just manually dosed that.....I often thought of and have heard of people dosing a diluted phyto/ coral food type mixture through one pump......the lines are just air line so I just replace those when I think to and you can clean the pumps by running vinegar and water through them(same goes for any pump).....all you have to do to prevent back-siphoning is keep the pump outlets above the water line, no check valves needed..... well worth the coin IMO

Wow! Thank you for the advice and pointers. You're so right on the Mg so a two pump doser may just do it for me too! I'll check with Pro Reef in Vic for one but if they are unable to guess Red Coral can ship one for free, right? Check their online add and looks like there is a sale happening... good timing on my part... just have to check the piggy bank. :lol:

fishytime
08-01-2011, 05:08 PM
you can always add more pumps later too if you decide you want to.....RC has a SA3 in stock atm:wink:

bades
08-01-2011, 05:47 PM
profilux......... +1 to what fishytime said. Probably one of my best investments for the tank,.........along with an ATO!

badAZZlars
08-01-2011, 06:09 PM
profilux......... +1 to what fishytime said. Probably one of my best investments for the tank,.........along with an ATO!

Fully agree. Profilux and an ATO system were my best purchases.

RedCoralOnlineStore
08-01-2011, 06:18 PM
Wow! Thank you for the advice and pointers. You're so right on the Mg so a two pump doser may just do it for me too! I'll check with Pro Reef in Vic for one but if they are unable to guess Red Coral can ship one for free, right? Check their online add and looks like there is a sale happening... good timing on my part... just have to check the piggy bank. :lol:

Yes, Rice Reef, I will do free shipping.
And ...only gst...

Rice Reef
08-02-2011, 04:30 AM

Fully agree. Profilux and an ATO system were my best purchases.

I'm sold! Profilux it is ( now just have to decide whether I should go with the two or three pump)!

Yes, Rice Reef, I will do free shipping.
And ...only gst...

People in Alberta got it good! NHL hockey teams that have heart to win championships (yeah, both Edmonton and Calgary!) and no hassles with this HST thing. Wish I can live the good life there but I have two young boys, here on the Island. The no provincial tax thing is very tempting... I can get away with not paying provincial tax and warranty is still covered?

Guess I'll PM you to get more details. Thank you everyone!

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: