PDA

View Full Version : help question

golden69_ca
07-30-2011, 04:30 PM
i have a 28 gal jbj tank and i am battleing an issue of what i think is some kinda photo algee because when the tank turns on in the morning it is nice and clear and within 4 hours the alge starts to come out and cover the rocks and coral and glass the alge is a browny purple color and looks kinda slimy . was thinking of adding a uv power head has any one experianced this and found that a uv power head fixed the problem . i have done tater changes to no avail all my water paramiters are good . thanks

Flash
07-30-2011, 05:59 PM
can you post a pic? how old is your tank and what livestock do u currently have? How often do you feed your tank and what do you feed your tank? what is your light cycle on?

MKLKT
07-30-2011, 06:53 PM
What parameters are you checking for exactly? Saying they're 'good' doesn't really mean anything, having cyano/algae breakouts kinda says contrary.

golden69_ca
07-30-2011, 09:01 PM
the light cycle is 10 hours i have run all the tests in my master test kit and have used my freinds test kit to make sure there was no issue with mine .i have a pair of clowns and a hippo tang with about 10 hermits and 10 snails . the tank is fed flake food every outher day . temp of the tank is runing around the 80 mark with the warm weather we are having and the tank has been up for 8 months here is a pic of how it gets during the day i will take a pic of it tomorrow morning to show how clean it is after the lights have been off for the night . and this is the pc lighted tank

Flash
07-30-2011, 09:07 PM
how long has this tank been running? and hope you're planning a tank upgrade for your tang soon! Cut back your lights to 6 hours a day, how often do you do water changes? do you use prime or any other water conditioner? do your fish eat all the flake food you put in? how often do you change your filter?

intarsiabox
07-31-2011, 05:58 AM
Older PC bulbs are pretty good at growing the film algae that you are experiencing. How old is the bulb? What are your phosphate levels at? Are you using RO/DI water? Usually high phosphates and bad lights will cause algae headaches in any tank.

golden69_ca
07-31-2011, 09:06 PM
the bulb is 8 months phosphate levels are nill even put a phospate remover in to make sure . i am using ro water and run tests on my water machine constantly . it has to be somthing staring me right in the face since i have been playing in this expencive hobby for over 12 years lol

bkelly
07-31-2011, 09:30 PM
ive been battling the same sort of algae in my 22 gal for a while now, i have had some headway with getting better flow throughout the tank (i re arranged the rock and removed some of the big rock to make more of a rock island effect which let flow all around) theres lots of rock on your back wall is there any flow over/behind it, also got an urchin in there to help with it. hows your flow & how are you filtering I just kept cleaning out the algea and water changes turkey baster to the rock, i think even with the phosphate remover the algae still has to be removed to help or else its just feeding itself, what sort of phosphate remover you using & how, is it in a reactor, is your sand bed clean, theres some black spots in the sand in your photo, no dead snails or anything contributing to the water quality. I also think new bulbs and less light cycle may help.

golden69_ca
08-15-2011, 08:53 AM
so i found a place that has the green x here in town and tried it man problem solved for now lol

gobytron
08-15-2011, 03:54 PM
You're dealing with Cyano, which is a bacterial bloom and not algae...

You likely have low sainity or low oxyge levels...these are common causes.
Cyano is also common in new tanks.