PDA

View Full Version : LF aiptasia eater "reef safe"

MEDHBSI
07-30-2011, 12:25 AM
I seem to be having an aiptasia outbreak and my shrimp wont eat them maybe there to big Its all over the place now and I im not really interested in adding any more fish to my tank but if anyone has an aiptasia eater they can lend me I would be willing to go that way. Hopefully this problem can be solved free of charge or at a reasonable price no chemicals either.

BMahura
07-30-2011, 12:54 AM
Their are many ways that you can deal with aptasia other then an "aptasia eater". Their are lots of products that you can put on the disk of the little guys which will help get rid of them. i have one by tailored aquatics called aptasia destroyer.you can also try lemon juice or boiling water as well. other then a pepperment shrimp one of the only reef safe aptasia eaters is a Berghia Nudibranch which are hard to find. i suggest buying some aptasia killer from your LFS and shut off all your pumps and kill those buggers. If you have lots only do about 15 every day as it can raise your pH as long as you get the bigger ones your shrimp should eat the smaller ones.

doch
07-30-2011, 02:03 AM
I personaly have had no luck with the aptaisia 'products'. I've tried joe's juice, lemon juice,etc. The best luck that I've had has been a combo of two things. First, you take every aptaisia infested rock out of the tank, and torch the buggers with a lighter. Then, you get a few pepermint shrimp. Yes, they're hit and miss... but I know for a fact that the ones that Red Coral gets (edmonton at least) eat the bastards. This is my suggestion... from my experience.

monocus
07-30-2011, 02:09 AM
i am placing an order for berghia on monday.the price right now is $23 each but if more people want to order the price will go down

penelty
07-30-2011, 04:30 AM
The berghia work. I have used them before and sold them while working at a LFS. I have also helped customers acclimate them to their tank with success and they work out much better then using a product if you have the patients to do it properly. Good Luck

MKLKT
07-30-2011, 04:52 AM
Well my Keukenthal's peppermint makes short work of aiptasia, did a lot better than the standard peppermint.

spit.fire
07-30-2011, 05:37 AM
i am placing an order for berghia on monday.the price right now is $23 each but if more people want to order the price will go down
i wouldnt mind one if you could ship it to abbotsford

MEDHBSI
07-30-2011, 05:52 AM
maybe i'll try the berghia but are they hard to keep after they eat all the aiptasia

monocus
07-30-2011, 02:14 PM
they will die as all they eat is aptasia

Haloreef
07-31-2011, 06:01 AM
I have tried all of the above at differrent times with varying levels of success.
Pepperments do work... sometimes.
I had three or four left in my display for the better part of two years.
They weren't bugging anybody, just minding their own buisness not spreading but oh no I had to go and attack them with the aptasia zapper!
That seemed to work but they were just regrouping for a massive counter attack! Just seemed to **** them off! I went from four to at least 104 in less than a month! I ordered a Copper Band from a LFS they ordered it in for me, it took a couple of weeks to arrive. I then watched it eat for a week and took it home fully aware of all the trial and tribulations that go along with this fish! It started eating aptasia the very next morning and in less that two weeks
I could not find a single one and I searched with a magnifying glass. Two and a half months later... No aptasia that I can see and he/ she was eating marine quisine and emerald entre out of my hand along with my tangs!
Maybe not a typical story with this fish but it has worked for me so far! (I say this as I tap on my own head for good luck)!